Ultramarines Terminator

Killy

Hello everyone, it's been a long time since my last post. I've just got one exam left before my 2nd level graduation so i'm a little short on spare time, but i've managed to complete the first terminator of my new squad.

The new terminators models are amazing, it's been great working on them. I've just replaced the original shoulderpads with FW ones, let me now what you think.

I'm making my first steps into blending, and on this model i've tried to blend the highlightings up to almost 100% skull white. I've also used the new 40k basing kit, a great thing IMHO.

As always no decals (i hate them), just freehand on the symbols.

Big thanks to this community and your great works, for always making me feel into this great hobby of ours even in those days where all i can give to it are 5 minutes lurking here.

gallery_22471_1191_63227.jpggallery_22471_1191_15112.jpg

gallery_22471_1191_135006.jpggallery_22471_1191_20800.jpg

gallery_22471_1191_20887.jpg

:jaw: :jaw: :jaw: ;) :wub: :woot:

i hope that expresses my feelings on the matter, that is one of the best painted Ultramarines ive ever seen, definately 'eavy metal (or even better!) material, although the helmet is a little flat in the colours, it might need a little shading....

I don't know if i'm the only on thinkung this but I would give the white a black ink wash to givs it some mor shade and to make it look more "gritty". I did it to my termies and are very satisfied with it. I can show you a pic to see what i mean if you want to.

It looks very clean and the hand painted ultramarines symbol is superb! I only wish it wasnt so spartan. I personally really really like it when people put alot of little details on marines like purity symbols, writing, and tactical symbols. Even ultramarines have flavor and iconography (though this is just an opinion). I do understand that stuff takes alot of time. Well good job anyways.

Nice painting! The armor and base look great!

My only criticism's would be that the seal and marksman's honors on the right shoulder should be falling down, not horizontal with the ground. That same shot the gun looks odd, could be lighting, almost looks unfinished or not enough definition on it. Again, that could just be lighting.

Otherwise its a beautiful model and hope to see the rest of the squad soon! Good luck on your exams.

Thanks for the great C&C everyone!

Great looking Termi Killy! Any chance of a run-down on how you did the white?

Started from black undercoat, then 2 layers of adeptus battlegrey and lots of layers (and patience) of thinned down skull white. my personal advice to avoid any imperfection on the surface is to coat the whole part you are painting, even if you are correcting a little mistake. If you paint a smaller area you are going to get a ugly patch. White is such a pain in the arse.

I don't know if i'm the only on thinkung this but I would give the white a black ink wash to givs it some mor shade and to make it look more "gritty". I did it to my termies and are very satisfied with it. I can show you a pic to see what i mean if you want to.

I know what you mean, and if you have a spare pic of a gritty terminator i would be grateful if you sent it to me, it's always good to look at other people's work for inspiration. Personally i want my army to be "just came out of the washing machine", i know it's not realistic, but i like the GW - 'eavy metal style as seen on the codexes. Besides, we all know that Ultramarines' armors are always shiny or they get chastised ;)

Nice and clean. The highlights and details are also very well done. B)

And a good avatar/nic btw. ^_^

:huh: thanks a lot.

I have to agree with Rubberduck, The helmet needs some sort of shading. Other than that the highlights on the blue are excellent. Very Well done.

You are both right, and i have to admit that i am a little afraid of shading the white because it's so hard to get it even, smooth and solid, so i fear that the slightest mistake could turn the whole helmet into a mess!

Furthermore consider that fact that for the picture the termi was uber-illuminated, and as white reflects the whole light it's exposed to, the helmet looks more flat and without shading than it really is. Much like the faces of actress and models on the magazines :P

I love the free-hand symbols. Do you have a trick to getting them so neat? Or is it just trial and error?

It's just trial and error. The fact that i've done a lot of manual drafting ( i'm a mechanical engineer) helps me split the whole symbol into simpler geometrical parts and keep it as symmetrical as i can. I start by doing the symbol with adeptus battlegrey, then make any correction needed and finally giving it 2-3 layers of skull white very very carefully following the grey outline.

Great figure! How did you manage to get such straight highlights on the blue?

I'd say lots of patience. Once i'm done with the basic colour i draw the basic highlight with a mixture of 50% ultramarine blue and 50% skull white, then i make 3 hues going from this basic highlight to almost 100% skull white and blend them. At this point the highlights borders are usually all jagged and irregular, so i use ultramarines blue to narrow them a little and give them a clean edge. It takes a little patience and lots of swearing in case of mistakes.

Nice painting! The armor and base look great!

My only criticism's would be that the seal and marksman's honors on the right shoulder should be falling down, not horizontal with the ground. That same shot the gun looks odd, could be lighting, almost looks unfinished or not enough definition on it. Again, that could just be lighting.

Otherwise its a beautiful model and hope to see the rest of the squad soon! Good luck on your exams.

Thanks :D ! I see your point with the seal and honors on the right shoulderpad, but they are not glued and are part of the forgeworld shoulderpads. They do defy gravity indeed. Let's just say that they are electro-metal castings of the original so they are rigid... :). As for the gun, keep in mind that the reflection of the lighting by the metallic colours may exaggerate the contrast.

The other terminators are 70% done, i think i'll be able to post the whole squad just after this last exam. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

• 1 month later...

Man that is a pretty smurf!!!

Excellent use of the forge world shoulder pad, but noting that you didn't use any transfers, you did a great job on a hand painted army symbol as well. Its a well executed and clean terminator. Now..for the real question. Where are his brothers at?

Very nice, especially with the FW crux. Although I am a fan of battle damage, I can see where you're coming from with the Ultra's anal-retentive policies. Might I suggest a thinned blue ink for the white helmet? The model's overall look is fairly bright, and a black highlight for the helmet would off-set the rest of the mini, placing all focus on that one area. A dimmer blue highlight would give you what you need, while at the same time keeping people's eyes on the more detailed an important areas.

Given that you freehanded the Ultra symbol, why not, as infamous suggested, put some sacred texts on the armor? This is well within their fluff, and given your amazingly steady hand, you'd put it down in no time.

How did you achieve the blue of the basecoat ?

Chaos black undercoat, mordian blue and then ultramarines blue, two thinned down layers for each colour.

Now..for the real question. Where are his brothers at?

I've been very busy with my last ( :P :) :woot: ) exam, now it's done and i can start working on these guys again. The rest of the squad is 60% complete.

Very nice, especially with the FW crux. Although I am a fan of battle damage, I can see where you're coming from with the Ultra's anal-retentive policies. Might I suggest a thinned blue ink for the white helmet? The model's overall look is fairly bright, and a black highlight for the helmet would off-set the rest of the mini, placing all focus on that one area. A dimmer blue highlight would give you what you need, while at the same time keeping people's eyes on the more detailed an important areas.

Given that you freehanded the Ultra symbol, why not, as infamous suggested, put some sacred texts on the armor? This is well within their fluff, and given your amazingly steady hand, you'd put it down in no time.

You're right, a thinned down blue shade would be perfect (not an ink though i hate the glossy look), but i'm scared as hell when it comes to shading white because every little mistake can potentially yield epic failure! Damn you white!

I'm not a big fan of over-scribbled armors, i might give it a try but i'd rather start with a power armor. Anyway once the whole squad is completed i'm gonna add some crux-terminators pendants and some purity seals.

Do you read blame(the comic) killy?

Of course i do! I'm an uber-fan of sci-fi, and Blame! is a great piece of art.

Thanks again for all the comments.

• 1 month later...

Another really cool model, Killy =]

Awesome painting, as always. I'd say this model was *almost* White Dwarf level - You could get a feature =]

One tiny criticism, though, is that the white highlighting on the purity seals looks a tad to strong...

Nothing to worry about, and congratulations on such a top-class model =]

Archived