Chaos Rhino

Zeller

Afternoon,

Ever since I bought the new CSM codex I have fumbled with the idea of using rhinos as a mobile artillery line. If I give squads rhino transports with havoc launchers then I could deploy the rhinos on their own side and run them together up one flank to bombard the enemy with mass missile fire. I guess there is not much to this idea.

Khorne marines are the only troops in the CSM codex with the limitation of having no more than 10 members to have a rhino transport. Is this a typo? I was planning on having utilizing large 20 man squads of Word Bearers and having their transports perform the afformentioned rhino wall of missiles.

Kind of a simple topic but do you guys think the rhino tactic would be effective in non-tournament play against your average 'joe' army?

Perhaps the 150 points for 3 light tanks would be better suited to bringing a defiler instead.

*shrugs* Just thinking

Thanks to the dear Chaos Errata that went live some week or so ago you can now add a rhino to whatever squad you want (granted they could normally take it to begin with) even if they exceed 10 men.

So fire away with your plans, there are fully legal :sweat:

TDA

Thanks to the dear Chaos Errata that went live some week or so ago you can now add a rhino to whatever squad you want (granted they could normally take it to begin with) even if they exceed 10 men.

So fire away with your plans, there are fully legal :woot:

TDA

You are right !!

interesting.. :o I'll have to plot my own schemes.. rhino shield for the bezerkers.. and such

Rinos are for transporting troops, they lack the armor to be tanks.

You can try using them as a tank line if you want but I think it would be more effective to use them to get troops into battle. It might wk ok vs orks or nid hoards.

Hey,

deploy the rhinos on their own side and run them together up one flank

Unfortunately, that makes minimum 300pt squads Slogging Plate Bait, and your paper Rhinos priority LRAT targets.

Opponents will set-up antipersonnel firelanes in response, and then where will their Tank Hunter Units look?

That said, I really like HL Rhinos for undersize squads otherwise ineligible for a HW upgrade.

Consider them "Ghetto Razorbacks". Add Daemonic Possession and compare to the SM version -

Point-for-point, Ghetto Sleds are a pretty good deal - in numbers!

Just one or two will have the And They Shall Know No Second Turn rule.

utilizing large 20 man squads of Word Bearers and having their transports perform the afformentioned rhino wall of missiles

In most situations, a Rhino has too large a profile to benefit from available cover, so they have to *seem* harmless.

IOW, in order to survive long enough to be effective, you need to divert enemy AT Fire with more survivable Units.

Now, say you rush six Rhinos up the middle and pop smoke, then disembark; target priority now becomes problematic -

When the smoke clears, there are suddenly twelve Units there instead of six, and your FA Units are bringing the pain.

Hopefully, your mobile HQ and Elite Units will be waving their banners and chanting "I'll swallow your soul!", too.

Now, where are enemy Tank Hunters going to look? Paper Rhinos seem pretty harmless by comparison. ;- )

Shoot the Big Ones is a natural reaction wherever there is a choice of target.

The trick is in revealing the Big Ones only once there are *many* choices.

A paper 'wall of missiles' visible since Deployment is just bad timing.

Especially if your opponent gets first turn ...

Playa

I must shed a tear of sadness for I have chosen against this tactic for the time being. I just got my CSM battleforce yesterday *thumbs up* but found the havoc launcher a rather sloppy fit and did not fit comfortably onto my rhino considering I cut all the spikes off the racks and glued them on. :huh:

Fortunately this particular rhino is carrying my beserkers to the front so that pesky missile launcher would be kind of goofy. By the gods if I can get my camera batteries to last more than 1.5 seconds I will have pictures! Fear not, the dark adepts are on the case. :)

I think that you can upgrade Predator tanks with Havoc launchers. Perhaps you should consider including them on that vehicle, as the Predator Destructor set up is pretty much dedicated to anti-infantry fire-power?

I've run a few simulations of this set up using the Vassal engine, and they are quite adapt at this role. The only problem is the upcoming changes to vehicle shooting and movement, which severly limits the usability of tanks in any mobile setting.

Khorne marines are the only troops in the CSM codex with the limitation of having no more than 10 members to have a rhino transport. Is this a typo? I was planning on having utilizing large 20 man squads of Word Bearers and having their transports perform the afformentioned rhino wall of missiles.

I agree with Dark Apostle about the legality of the firing line. On an unrelated note, Word Bearers are Undivided, they just wear red armor to confuse everybody :D .

Archived