Alternate IW paint scheme?

Hally

I really love Iron Warriors, but as my painting skills have improved, I really want to do something new. The metallic paint offers so little room for creativity. Just slap on the paint and ink wash for definition. I can't really use any of the more advanced techniques (sure I can, but it's not fun doing with metallic paint).

Making a splinter warband or even a lost Grand Company is no problem, but finding a paint scheme that's DEFINITELY IW, but with plain colours is hard.

There must be no doubt that these are Iron Warriors, and that's what's hard. Gold metallic trims etc are fine, just not a completely metallic figure.

Help me! D:

I really love Iron Warriors, but as my painting skills have improved, I really want to do something new. The metallic paint offers so little room for creativity. Just slap on the paint and ink wash for definition. I can't really use any of the more advanced techniques (sure I can, but it's not fun doing with metallic paint).

Making a splinter warband or even a lost Grand Company is no problem, but finding a paint scheme that's DEFINITELY IW, but with plain colours is hard.

There must be no doubt that these are Iron Warriors, and that's what's hard. Gold metallic trims etc are fine, just not a completely metallic figure.

Help me! D:

Baahhh!! Heresy :P

Another idea from above, one my friends (Lt L on this fourm) was painting his Iron Warriors in a dark gold. As the other have said NMM, or you could alway use silvier BUT use some of the new wash to give you a copper/brownish metal look. Could alway do a marble (sp) effect?? maybe a sort of lave/heat effect??

Only other thing is any idea you have just test them on some old models/spures see what easy & what you like painting to be honsty. Or use the B&C marine painter to try out some ideas.

IP

I agree, grey (or maybe a grey w/ just a very slight hint of blue) would be the best way to go and have them be immediately recognized as IW. The grey as a base, then shading and highlights, whatever advanced paint tecneques you want. Then the black & yellow hazard strips, gold trim etc.

-

OK.. I seem to be left w/out a clue, what is NMM ???

Isn't he that whiteboy rapper ? :)

No serious though, what is NMM :P ???

Non-metal-metallics.

Using normal colors (not metallics) to achieve a metallic look. Google it.

Or anyone check out Boltman a memeber of this site :D

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...c=74782&hl=

He done some great work (he has won the Golden Daemon many times ;) )

IP

Trying to NMM rank and file troops would take forever if you don't want them to just look gray because NMM requires extended shading and highlighting. In any case, although it is easier to paint "tabletop" quality IW than other legions, if you paint them to a bit above average tabletop the scheme is really not much different from anything else. Prime, paint armor, paint details and hazard stripes, highlight, inkwash. Even if you are a *really* good painter, you can still find some challenge with the basic scheme because then you would want to do single light source highlights, freehand and blending to make reflective parts and whatnot.

Archived