Query reguarding fluff, not playstyle

Julgolax

Now, as many people know, there is an awsome little tid bit, which I managed to half memorize, in the 5th Edition Rulebook about the Assault on Vilimus in which the Pirate Lord, Huron assaulted a chapter homeworld of the Marines Errant (see lexicanum.com for details) and in there, Huron bought the assistance of a strikeforce sect of Night Lords "veterans" which I assume mean chosen, but that doesnt matter. I thought to myself that maybe my origional notion of the Night Lords being just a legion of hustlers and thieves who run around scaring governors was not so. It seems the Night Lords actually have an agenda to gain power, and allying with a growing legion of priates seems to be just one facet of their style and goals. Now, if anyone can shed some light on this, I would love to hear it. I just want to stress my point that in the assault, they seem to be rewarded themselves with a share of the loot taken from the chapter's power station, armory, and tithes.

I have been debating sticking with the Red Corsairs or diverging into the Night Lords so, I am kind of hoping that this thread will clear some things up for me, thanks again for your posts.

I thought to myself that maybe my original notion of the Night Lords being just a legion of hustlers and thieves who run around scaring governors was not so
The IA article have them fighting for material wealth and power, so scavengers and lowly thieves aren't the image that I have of the legion. I view them more as mercenaries, shock troops that are fighting for no common cause but that of the hunt and the spoils.

It is hinted in Lord of the Night that the majority of NL Legionnaires fight for Konrad's bitter crusade, his legacy to his children. Over the millennia this has been twisted, just as some of the Legion's leaders have (e.g. Periclitor, Krieg Acerbus, Tarraq Darkblood) so they are now more or less under the sway of Chaos - fear is no longer a means to an end, it is the end itself. They pick weak targets, they also pick their targets so as to hurt that which represents the Empire the most, humankind.

Scoundrels and thieves they are not, they are the ultimate mercenary 'boogey men' (pun intended) that fight for money (power), goods (power) and power.

For more info, please see:

The Night Lords Timeline

Edit: I found my IA:

Observational evidence would suggest that the only reason the Night Lords fight is for the love of killing and the material rewards this can bring. They take great pleasure in gunning down defenceless prey, especially those too young or sick to stand up to them. It Is certainly not for the thrill of battle that they fight, as an army of Night Lords can be expected to try every underhand trick in the book before resorting to honest combat. This is possibly a vestige of their ancestry in the criminal classes of Nostrarno where it was commonplace to ruthlessly force the will of the strong upon the weak.

You have to remember that like most of the legions the Night Lord have splintered into various warbands so the goals of the legion are varied and by no means unified. Additionally, there is an ideological schism in the legion that's outlined in Lord of the Night. The two main figures of each faction are Acerbus and Zso Sahaal. Acerbus is a demon prince and openly worships chaos and fights for the thrill of terrorising those weaker than the night Lords. Zso Sahaal is the "leader" of the other faction which i believe wishes to continue the war against the imperium with the ultimate goal of actually destroying it and has the strength to see that fear must be used as a weapon rather than becoming a goal to fight for, thus the legion must attack more meaningful economic and military targets rather than praying on the weak. Thus i think it is fair to say that there is a significant portion, even if it is a minority, of night lords that are motivated to fight for reasons other than pleasure (acerbus and his followers) or for loot. Just my thoughts

Hey,

scavengers and lowly thieves aren't the image that I have of the legion. I view them more as mercenaries, shock troops that are fighting for no common cause but that of the hunt and the spoils

Not so. Contract mercs stand around after the action waiting for the paymaster to tear them off.

Pirates fight whomever they want, wherever they want, and take what they like.

Naturally, Loyalist lapdogs will describe this lifestyle in less than glowing terms.

they are now more or less under the sway of Chaos - fear is no longer a means to an end, it is the end itself. They pick weak targets, they also pick their targets so as to hurt that which represents the Empire the most, humankind

Blah, blah, blah. They're whatever the propagandists put before your eyes, eh?

Look, when Lord Vader asks for a cheeseburger, you don't argue.

It's the same when a Daemon erupts out of your squad leader.

You just follow orders until he goes away - or you do.

Scoundrels and thieves they are not, they are the ultimate mercenary 'boogey men' (pun intended) that fight for money (power), goods (power) and power

No matter how the spin doctors twist the details, the basic facts remain the same -

Cult Legionnaires receive support from the Immaterium in exchange for their souls.

Undivided Legionnaires don't. So, how do they resupply? Easy - reaving.

Piracy.

In the eyes of the Imperium, by becoming "thieving scoundrels".

Where do Night Lords get water or ammo? Warp-mart? No.

They go where supplies are kept and take what they want!

I found my IA

Translation: Collected Imperial Propaganda.

They take great pleasure in gunning down defenceless prey, especially those too young or sick to stand up to them. It Is certainly not for the thrill of battle that they fight, as an army of Night Lords can be expected to try every underhand trick in the book before resorting to honest combat

According to this, all Night Lords are craven, sneaking cowards.

You can see where I'd be tempted to question the source . . .

Pla - arrr! - ya

As much of a wealth of information I have been fed here, I still cannot piece together this legion for they seem to be as ever shrouded in mystery.

I have to say, the Night Lords almost sound like the Alpha Legion mixed with the Red Corsairs... :S

Here is what I have so far.

Known Leaders: Daemon Prince Kreig Acerbus, Lord Zso Sahaal, Lord-Champion Gorsameth, Sorceror Asuramandos?, Lord Tarraq Darkblood

Reasons for Fighting: For loot, for fun, for the destruction of the Imperium, for their own personal ascendency, and possibly for the good of the Legion

Reasons for Style: The use of fear and terror tactics is not cowardly, not in any stretch of the imagination. Fear, brought to the fearless can cripple entire systems of planets at a notion and cowardice is non-existant when it comes to keeping yourself alive to fight on in the future... In a sence, the Night Lords are the smartest of all the marines of chaos... next to the Alpha Legion of Iron Warriors.

Reason for their unfaithfulness: The reason the Night Lords are not fanatical followers of chaos is because, as obvious as it may seem, do not wish to/will not serve anything but themselves. The Night Lords wish to pay tribute, no prices hang above their winged helmets, no homage to pay to a selfish diety, only profit from loss.

There, that about sums it up no?

As much of a wealth of information I have been fed here, I still cannot piece together this legion for they seem to be as ever shrouded in mystery.

I have to say, the Night Lords almost sound like the Alpha Legion mixed with the Red Corsairs... :S

Here is what I have so far.

Known Leaders: Daemon Prince Kreig Acerbus, Lord Zso Sahaal, Lord-Champion Gorsameth, Sorceror Asuramandos?, Lord Tarraq Darkblood

Reasons for Fighting: For loot, for fun, for the destruction of the Imperium, for their own personal ascendency, and possibly for the good of the Legion

Reasons for Style: The use of fear and terror tactics is not cowardly, not in any stretch of the imagination. Fear, brought to the fearless can cripple entire systems of planets at a notion and cowardice is non-existant when it comes to keeping yourself alive to fight on in the future... In a sence, the Night Lords are the smartest of all the marines of chaos... next to the Alpha Legion of Iron Warriors.

Reason for their unfaithfulness: The reason the Night Lords are not fanatical followers of chaos is because, as obvious as it may seem, do not wish to/will not serve anything but themselves.

There, that about sums it up no?

Perfectly.

Archived