Ideas for a renegade chapter

ant7

I am thinking about starting a renegade chapter, I want them to be a recently turned chapter that has went renegade not because they worship chaos but because they have become disillusioned by the Imperium. Some ideas I have are

Their homeworld was destroyed after an Inquisitor found the primitve inhabitants ceremonies and rites of passage to be heretical. My renegades were out fighting the good fight while this happened and they returned to find their world cleansed. The chapter master wanted revenge and hunted down the inquisitor and the grey knights and IG who had done this, they wiped them out and now they are outcasts.

That's basically it in a nutshell, I plan on writing the fluff up but before I do I wondered what others would think of it. Also I thought about mixing loyalist and chaos bits to create the army and represent their recent flip. So any suggestions? Also should I use the loyalist marine rule or chaos?

Thanks in advance

Well, if you want a recently changed army (as in, decided to eff off the Imperium last week), I say use the current codex. You could use the drawback where they are limited on Termies and Dreads due to the fact they are on the run. However, I hear they are taking away that rule in the 5th edition codex. I always believe: you can do what you want as long as you stay mostly true to the fluff. I hate female Space Marines. That is about where I draw the line, but as someone said to me: it is your hobby.

Amen Brother of Steel!
I hate female Space Marines
, anyhow its not possible, it says in some old fluff I read that far back during the creation of the marines it was attempted to try females, but they all died because of the messed up hormones in their sysem. And the battle sisters are simply woman in suits... no match even for an unarmed naked marine! ;) And ant7, gd idea, i think before you consider loyalist or chaos; you should think about how far down the line of chaos your men will go (demons, oblits, defilers etc) or if they are still loyal to the emperor, (chaplains etc). Though to be fair it is always down to you

I like the idea.

And I do think mixing bitz of s/m's and csm's is a good idea.

As for which dex to use it is of course up to you, but since you don't really want them to be chaos but renegades and maybe don't want them to use daemons, oblits, DP's etc , you might want to go with the s/m dex. They (s/m's) are getting a new dex in Oct or Nov (I think) and from the rumors it is going to be very good and allow you to field many different types of armies.

In the time being you could go to a GW store near you (assuming there is one near you) and look at the s/m and csm codex, and decide which represents the army you have in mind best.

Good luck with your project.

in the old chaos codex there was a page about the red corsairs, not as well defined as the current one though, and a picture of a squad of crimson fists who had defaced all of their imperial icons and had some chaos parts, so great idea for the fluff

Archived