Abaddon- how to use him?

So with abaddon-

How many pts should the game be to take him- 2K and up?

How to deploy him- LR or deepstrike?

What would make a good accompying unit for him?

Just asking as I have made a Abbadon, just need to do some GS work. :P

1. 2k+ points/Apocalypse.

2. i would never deepstrike or walk him, deepstrike is reliant on you making the reserve roll for both Abaddon and his unit in the same turn. If you don't either unit is left stranded and possibly open for one round of shooting from your opponent.

I'd get a Landraider (and other vehicles) instead, despite the cost of both it and Abaddon.

3. 4x Terminators with combi-weapons and lightning claws.

My 2 Kraks.

But in 5th, which is around the corner (about the time Brother Evar might start using him after construction) an independent character may join a unit in reserve and you roll only once for the combined awesomeness. Kinda convenient, huh?

As we no longer have retinues there's only one way to do it and as the rule state:

Alternatively an independent character may begin the game already with a unit, by being deployed in coherency with them
I don't see how that is possible. ;)

use abaddon anyway you want, hes a complete b******d !!! :D

sorry after shamefully wiping out my best units in all the 4 times i've fought him (and losing each time) i kinda developed a hatred for him :angry:

Well, that's because you missed the rule entirely, my friend.

"During deployment, when declaring which units are left in reserve, the player must clearly explain the organization of his reserves to his opponent. First he must specify to the opponent if any of his independent characters left in reserve are joining a unit, in which case they will be rolled for and arrive together."

That's over in the Reserves section. Can't be any more clear, eh? Thus the loss of retinues since they would be redundant and the character can pre-join any unit in this manner, instead of just a specific retinue.

I plan on using Abaddon's rules for a souped up, warp loved Huron Ascendant model for my RC's. But I would not field him in anything less than 2000pts, especially now that troops must take objectives. I'd attach him to a minimal number of slaaneshi(low cost, good impact with higher In) termies with plasma combis and one HF. But even in 2000pt lists I'm jealous of the pts he is soaking up where I may need them for troop goodness.

accompanied by 4 Terminator Champions with Pairs of Lightning Claws, one carrying the Icon of Khorne and mounted in a Land Raider with Daemonic Possession

I'd like to see a unit, any unit survive that monstrosity hitting it in close combat.

Tackling one of your other points, I personally would consider him in games of 2000pts or more, any less and your army would be a 1 trick pony, and suffer because of it.

Laterz...

I'm using Abaddon's rules for my Chapter Master as well (in the process of painting the model at the moment), but, since I'm sticking with C:SM or my HGR codex for the main army, he'd only be fieldable in Apocalypse, which is fine with me. As for a retinue, I was thinking five Terminators with LC's, plus a MoK, and maybe make them all Champions. Makes them pretty expensive, but that's a total of 30 LC attacks on the charge, plus the CM's attacks!

As for transport method, well, given that Apocalypse allows one to mix units from different armies, and that 5th allows a unit to ride in any transport they can, I can stick my CM, his retinue, plus four "Captains" (using the Lord profile) in PA in a LR Crusader, and have myself a spiffy Masters of the Chapter formation. Granted, such a combo would run upwards of 1500 points for the one unit, but I can't think of very many things that'd be able to survive such a unit in CC. :D

But in 5th, which is around the corner (about the time Brother Evar might start using him after construction) an independent character may join a unit in reserve and you roll only once for the combined awesomeness. Kinda convenient, huh?

Really, seriously? I was wondering why they got rid of retinues in all the new codex? Especially with one like Abaddon that is in termi armor, thus should be joined by termis. If this in fact is the case with 5th Ed rules, I may have to buy a box of new chaos termi to go with my abaddon and bust out my old black legion army. ;)

Archived