The following events take place over 31 days

Justicars of Dorn Painting Challenge 2008

In my Jack Bauer-esque voice I now pro-nounce my painting challenge is GO!

Disregard any and all of my previous posts forthwith!

Brother Argos knows only too well my "Grey plastic sea of miniatures" and so I set about remedying this of late. Now, whilst not a skilled painter I have taken upon myself to really go for it.

Composing a 1850 points list was the easy part..
...naming the chapter was just as easy (Justicars of Dorn, yeah cool is it not? :P )...
...assembling the minis? Done and dusted years ago amigos ;)....
..............and now for the Paintathon!

From the 17th of June until the 17th of July I shall paint this force! His will help me anyway!

So far the results are lavish, with 7 days down we see:
~2 Tactical Squads painted, one awating decals
~Chaplain in TDA painted, with some minor details to finish
~5 man TDA unit basecoated and shall be finished this very evening!

And better yet!
~Camera is working! HUZZAH!
~24 season 6 is in DVD player! HUZZAH!
~Pizza is en route! HUZZAH!

So come one come all to the joy that will be my Paintathon!
Blog updates will be daily, and pics up by Wednesday evening also!
For Him on Earth I shall prevail!
:D

Great initiative! All the best of luck to you Brother Marine! :P I checked out your paint-scheme (is that the correct word even?) and index astartes-thread yesterday and I must say I liked them a lot! Being a DA-player I have much love for bone white armour. :D I look forward to seeing what you've done so far!

/Angerforce.

That post made me laugh corpus. Pizza en route HUZZAH, best be dominoes! :P

Will be keeping an eye on this thread, like the name of your chapter matey. :D

gallery_27086_2173_5585.gif

Previously on 31 days

<Cuts to BCC frantically typing and painting at same time whilst screaming at Chloe O'Brian down a mobile phone>

Thanks for your support guys! Mucho thank you! Keep watching!

Ok, have just finished coating the TDA shoulder pads in Blazing Orange with a Baal Red wash also. Hopefully will have camera working later too! Phew!

Based and ready to be be decalled is where I want the TDA to be by close of play tonight. :D

@Angry Johnny: Photos will be here and in my Blog :P

Previously on 31

<BCC strives to gain control of his wayward brushes and finish the TDA>

Aaaaaagh! Following a brief spell of painting lastnight my camera decides its too full to work, and the on set of a migraine sends me to sleep early. Bad times...

Before doing so though I manage to at least undercoat another character. Good times...

:lol:

great idea... Good luck, I have a similar pile of mostly undercoated old plastic marines sitting in a box under my desk... I may have to steal your idea (once the spray gun is released and I can paint them in super quick splurge-tastic mode... :lol:)

Laterz...

Previously on 31

<BCC strives to gain control of his wayward brushes and finish the TDA>

Aaaaaagh! Following a brief spell of painting lastnight my camera decides its too full to work, and the on set of a migraine sends me to sleep early. Bad times...

Before doing so though I manage to at least undercoat another character. Good times...

:)

Bah! Excuses! Have you ever seen Jack Bauer sleep? Or get stopped by a migrane? Or bullet wounds, drugs or even his own death? He would certainly not be stopped by a camera with a full memory card... ;)

Previously on 31

<BCC has enrolled the skills of many to bring pictures to the masses>

And here they be! Remember, the object of this exercise is to paint a tabletop army in one month, not a GD one! C&C's are most welcome! Big thanks to Brother Argos for the help too.

Tactical Squad "II"

med_gallery_27086_2348_21187.jpg

Same squad broken down into Combat units:

med_gallery_27086_2348_146810.jpg

med_gallery_27086_2348_209861.jpg

Tactical Squad "V" (No transfers yet!)

med_gallery_27086_2348_57359.jpg

Again, combat squad shots:

med_gallery_27086_2348_219417.jpg

med_gallery_27086_2348_109438.jpg

The washes certainly help a lot as you can see! The effect I get is more a "dipping" one, but it provides a good solid shading. Though I am running scarily low on Gryphone Sepia right now...I have manged to get the TDA unit finished also, pics of those will be maybe tonight or later.

At the moement I can churn out a made up squad thats been undercoated in about 2 and a half hours, plus transferring time. -_-

Below are some the Reclusiam Command Unit:

Relic Bearer: The relic itself is from the most excellent Empire kit, with just the Sigmar twin tailed comet removed from the shield. Add a suitable top instead of the hammer and there we go.

med_gallery_27086_2348_31910.jpg

Squads Special Weapons brother: Its actually a Combi Melta, as after seeing the Sternguards have them I thought it looks pretty sweet. His other hand is a power fist for now, yes I know rules etc wont support it, but I like it ;)

The moment is when he's taken a hit to the helm, ripped his visor free and ducked down for a return shot :(

med_gallery_27086_2348_120014.jpg

Tonight will see the 10 man Jump Pack unit being spray undercoated. Without enough Gryphonne Sepia they wont be base coloured tonight though...bad times. But it will give me time to add some detail to my TDA Chaplin also. I hope to get the Crozius finished and to try do a nice gold on the chest eagle.

What do we all think then so far? :D

Previously on 31

<BCC stands proud with his TDA done also at last!>

Lastnight was...interesting...

As soon as I got home from work I dived for the table to finish the TDA unit. Watered down PVA and a cruddy old brush later their bases were sealed and done. With just the decals to go it all seems peachy!

I didnt have time to spray another squad in the end, which is just aswell as my Gryphonne Sepia is dead almost anyway. I did however manage to grab some WIP pics of the TDA Sgt, the TDA Chaplain and my Librarian also.

These will go up later today hopefully!

BCC

Previously on 31

Ok, as promised below are some WIP pics of the TDA sgt and TDA chaplain.

TDA Sgt: (note, the base has since been finished with mixed rubble etc ;) and the weapons painted)

med_gallery_27086_2348_187808.jpg

And this is as far as I have got with the Chaplain. Brother Nihm has given me an excellent recipe for a brassy gold that I plan to use for his Crozius later.

med_gallery_27086_2348_1618.jpg

Below I have my Master of Sanctity in power armour. He is the current Force Commander. Although I have access to over maybe 10 "Captainesque" minis for this, I felt a strong Chappy led army would look and feel quite different ;)

med_gallery_27086_2348_53108.jpg

Im particulary interested in what people think of the home made Crozius above :(

Great work on these guys. I do have a suggestion though. As the head of amy model is going to be a focal point when looking at it, I suggest you take the time and paint the eyelenses and mouth-grill of your marines. I realise that you're pretty much speedpainting these to get a tabletop-ready army, and for a TT-army it looks great, but doing the eyes really isn't all that much work and it makes a huge differense! Just my 2 cents. :)

yh the termies look great and for the base colour do you use the dippping method??

i really like this army it is very simple and effective just how i think space marines are i ahte fancy marines with all this free hand work

kepp 'em coming

jim

Thanks guys! Your support is keeping me going! :jaw:

@the jimster: Im glad you like them bud. The method is simply undercoated Skull White spray, then covered head to toe in Gryphonne Sepia wash by GW. I put on quite a lot, and its effects like you say are very similar to "dipping". You get a more gradual tone effect. :)

@angerforce: Mucho gracias! I will be spending significantly more time on the Characters dont worry. Flex my painting skills properly ;)

@The_Chaplain: The Crozius is nice isnt it? I want a proper hefty feel to it,more of a double ended mace almost. Even though its essentially a power weapon I felt that the GW ones are little more than ornate Sceptres sometimes.

I know, I know double post and all that! :jaw:

Last pic before the weekend and painting begins again is below.

Librarian I have been working on for the Reclusiam Squad also:

gallery_27086_2348_125271.jpg

Force Sword was a real pain to get right but it ended up ok. The Aegis cowl was a TDA (Terminator :jaw: ) neck and shoulder guard that was left over. I had seen some excellent conversions using the missile launcher bracing arm and had to try it! Im pretty pleased with the outcome.

Hope you all like! C&C's as normal! Laters! :jaw:

The Crozius is great.. you have opened a door for me. Great ideas are flowing.

The Termie Chaplain needs something...else

Keep up the pace - no slack, no pity, no remorse!

Edit: Your last pic just came up as I hit Add.... great sword, love the pose!

very nice work... methinks you should post a tutorial on how to put the termie body on the marine one... cuz i used termie arms on a regular marine and he looks like a gorrilla... lulz. but seriously you should... and my guy is dubbed gorrilla man cuz he is awesome... sorry for the rant.

• 1 month later...

Can we maybe see the Librarian how you made that one with the colours.

Im making my Raptors almost the same style but then with green I wanna see how you did the Libby cause I will have a Libby to lead my army but its still need painting.

Archived