The Lure of Chaos

Dammeron

Ironically, what drew me to chaos wasn't 40k at all, it was BFG. I liked the look of the chaos cruisers, started collecting a chaos army to match the ships, and since then, focued more on the army. I still like the ships though.

I chose Chaos for a few reasons:

1. Models are freakin' awesome.

2. Fluff is even more freakin' awesome.

3. Self-righteous Space Marine players annoy me.

4. I hate Ultramarines with a vengeance (in fact I reckon I could put the Book of Lorgar to shame with my catechisms of hate directed at the Ultramarines...)...no offence Ultramarine players.

But since Chaos is so freakin' awesome it is very hard to decide which legion/warband to collect, isn't it?

LONG LIVE THE TRUE SPACE MARINES!

What orginally got me interested: One paragraph from 3.5ed C:CSM

When I open my Warp eye I look upon the face of the Empyrean and see hell itself gazing back at me. Superimposed over the mundane world I see the sharks of the Warp circling each person I regard. Those with the Sight, such as Astropaths, psykers and my own people, Navigators, shine with a soul-fire so bright they all but obliterate the small flickers of those nearby. These attract the most voracious of Warp-bound predators, who snarl and snap and slaver from their realm. Were these individuals not protected by their own powers or their bonding to the Emperor then these creatures of the Warp would pierce their very minds and claw their way through into the material universe. This is why I cannot uncover my Warp eye in the presence of the unprotected. To meet the Warp-gaze of a Navigator is to see reflected in it the most awful o truths: that the human soul is but a mote adrift upon the ocean of the Warp, surrounded by slavering horrors from our very worst nightmares..."

What sealed the deal: One paragraph from Nurgle's Rot - Liber Chaotica

...When the victims finally submit to Nurgle's demands upon their minds and souls (and they always do) the final stages of the Rot begin. Now the mutatin power Chaos becomes evident and if there has been any doubt as to the supernatural nature of the disease it is dispelled as the victimes body begins to look like a corpse that has been left ot decay in the damp heat. Flesh rots, skin bursts and organs become exposed, and by all logic, the victim should die at this point. The picture is only worsened as the victims' feet gradually flatten and stretch, its five toes merging into three, their nails replaced by long, filth-encrusted talons. A single horn will slowly punch through the necrotic skin on the victims' forehead, and finally the victims' eve sockets are observed to creep together slowly, before merging into one great and jaundiced orb...

Cheers,

Lawrence.

Well, I first got drawn to the Night Lords just because they sounded cool. At first, I couldn't really get into them, and then I read Lord of the Night. After that, I just really loved the imagery they had, the "spurned sons", and my Lord and his army have been growing ever since.

I love Chaos and decided to jump in because I like going between utterly loyal, albeit anti authoritarian (SW's) and big evil nasty bad guys who will skin you alive and eat your entrails. It gets boring staying on one side of the fence. :lol:

***** I was raised by Star Wars and have always had a very definite "good vs evil" outlook on life. As I got into GW games, I stuck to the good armies for the most part. Especially in 40K, the idea of fallen champions seemed to me to be those that were too weak to stay true. Plus, much of GW's decision to make chaos a "spikey" version of marines was just too lame. However, over time I dabbled in the darker side. First with vampire counts and then dark elves. When third edition came out and the orks were re-released, I immediately fell in love with the dark brutal nature of the army. Here was an army with no idea of good or evil, just pure desire and the will to carry it out. My final turn to chaos came last year with the release of the 4th edition book. I have to say, the new possessed models really clenched it. I ordered the army and the deed was done. I really love the chaos plastics. The CSM and possessed are some of the best models ever. Same with the termy lord. Excellent sculpts and value..can't beat it.

My own CSM force are renegades. I don't care for the fluff of the legions very much. I like the idea of disillusioned marines who are struggling with free thinking. The imperium and chaos are absolutes, yet there is space in betweeen them, and thats where my army lies.

***** Brother Glacius

The thing which drew me to chaos, (or to be more specific the Iron Warriors) was the IA article on the Iron Warriors, the way they were treated during the heresy just filled me with loathing for the emperor, their views on the rest of the traitor legions and the fact that they don't use deamons much, as I don't like the deamons as a unit. They also use my favourite tactic of bombarding the enemy to hell and then finishing them off in close combat. :)

the reasoni chose chaos (Khorne for that matter) is purely because i prefer to hit things instead of shooting them i was going to go orks but didn't realy like the slap togetherness (is that even a word?)whitch is ironicly the reason i like them now go figure) and i can't look at a tyranid with out wanting to hit the frigging thing with a fly swat (bloody bugs) and i like their swords and axes and my friends liken me to a berserker due to the way i play online games (HL2 i prefer the combine stunbat BF2 i love nothing more then seeing some one firing at me only to be shock paddled to death and so on) so a khorne army just seemed to make sence to me ... yes i go on and on but ;) i will say this the fact my berserkers no longer have a bloodthirster to be trying to outkill annoys me

at the moment im very tempted to get iron warriors...i love their background and they are fairly easy to paint. Another thing is the basic chaos space marine is the best troop in the game. i think my army will soften the enemy up with firepower and then finish them off in assault! i have written my rough 1k army list in the army list section...any comments are welcome!

They're just awesome.

Ok...the real answer: I used to be an avid WFB player with mortal Chaos Undivided as my army. I did quite well with it and I had a blast with Chaos so I figured take the plunge with good ol' Undivided in 40K. It's working well for me again so why mess with a good thing?

Not only that, but the background is more interesting than everyone else's <_<

Why did I succumb to the lure of Chaos...

Simple. Being evil is always more fun than being good. And Chaos represents the megalomaniac, insane evil that in its raw form is always more satisfying than the goody-two shoes heroes. Even in the grim darkness of the far future.

Though maverick heroes like Ciaphas Caine and Han Solo occasionally get the better of me, I guess I'm too goody-two shoes myself in the real world to want to be one in fantasy.

As for Chaos specifically, I remember my friend showing me the 3rd edition rulebook, and the two things that struck me the most were the photograph of the painted bloodthirster and a drawing of a Chaos dreadnought in that book's army list section. The words "ancient" and "rusted" in 40k were also nice.

I went for Slaanesh after a year or two because I needed to start a new army, and I realized that everyone went for Khorne and Nurgle (or undivided). While I'm a huge fan of sorcery, I would preferably only like one sorcerer in my army (representing me. not to be modest or anything...). Having one sorcerer per squad sort of undermines the total psychic badassery that my HQ would have to possess.

So that's my life story into Chaos, if anyone reads it.

Cheers,

Psychoplatypus

Mostly for the modeling/painting oppurtunities; at least initially. When I first started, I had a very eclectic mix of figures and bits from several ebay purchases ( I used to just collect various figures by all companies just to paint, and I could get tons of new stuff relatively cheaply ). When I actually got interested in playing, I had more 'bad guys' than 'good guys', so I focused on them. Being married with a family, I don't have lots of money to spare, so it seemed sensible to try and use as much as I cold from what I already had. Well, I had lots of chaos stuff, and I could glue on just about any bit I wanted to to finish off a trooper and explain it away as 'it's chaos'. Try glueing an orc arm on an UM, and see how well you fare <_< . After that, the fluff, and gaming hooked me the rest of the way.

thousand sons

3rd ed

arihman for 155pts (or something stupid)

awsome!

but when i came back to chaos (4th)

slaanesh took over...

I knew a good deal more about the game so I undertsood the +1 I was awsome

and I loved the sonic weaponery ( I like to shoot )

and now (lastest ed)

I hate them all

tbh

the lure of chaos dosn't lure me enough

I love pure one god armies...

the interest me, they are fluffy, effective and awsome

and they really don't work very well anymore (especially if you want to stick to a fluffy army...not just claiming the possedesed are charged with magical energy etc)

so undivided is the only way to go...but it just screams blandness..

they only thing the keeps luring me towards chaos is my old love

and the modeling side is always interesting...

you can get away with murder haha

Archived