Wordbearers squad sizes

Maladon

Okay sense most of my ideas never came to pass(monetary wise) I've decided to make a new word bearer army for 5th edition(before anyone says it, I know no legion rules, BFD!) any way, I know at least half of my army is going to be lesser daemons(whatever plastic I want) and normal marines. I wanted to know ideas for marine squad sizes, I do however have a personal fluff preference for 12 man squads.

Wanted to read some imput on this from you'll(yes I'm Texan!).

I usually go 10, then up to 12 with leftover points. With the new 5th, there is an advantage of taking the extra 2 guys. Spreads out the dice to more models that could reduce risk to the icon, heavy/special or AC for a tad longer. Also, when it comes to scoring to the last man, those two guys could make a difference. Maybe if you want to be fluffy and balance some points, make a few squads 12, then 1-2 of them to be "depleted" due to losses for fluff.

No Word Bearer fluff dictates squad size, other than the Dark Apostle dictating his visions from the dark gods. He could prefer 3 man squads, but he can only achieve that with terminators, bikes and obliterators. So it's really your choice. If you don't need transports, then go 12.

No Word Bearer fluff dictates squad size, other than the Dark Apostle dictating his visions from the dark gods. He could prefer 3 man squads, but he can only achieve that with terminators, bikes and obliterators. So it's really your choice. If you don't need transports, then go 12.

Index Astartes IV: Word Bearers, page 16-17, under Organisation.

"The most commonly occurring structure discovered is that roughly equating to a Space Marine company, with the Host broken down into units of about twelve warriors. Each is commanded by a champion of the Word Bearers who strives to become as devout a war leader as the Dark Apostle in the hope of one day being chosen to succeed him on the occasion of his death."

Important part bolded, irrelevant pun underlined :D

TDA

Yep, you hit the nail on the head, my idea comes straight from the IA fluff... except not sure about the current fluff saying they use alot of possessed, might consider Jeske's idea of 3 man terminator squads for elites or 2 termin squads and a chosen squad with 3 meltaguns and twin plasma guns.

except not sure about the current fluff saying they use alot of possessed,

Where is that said? I checked the 4'th Ed Codex but all I can find is that it say that in the more fanatical Legions / Chapters like the Word Bearers etc Possessed are seen as far superior then normal Marines. Doesn't mention anything about the Word Bearers useing more of them than anyone else. Only that they are seen as more "important" so to say.

TDA

Use use 20 man squads! ;)

Too expensive, a 12 man squad is 180 points before weapons upgrades.

Where is that said? I checked the 4'th Ed Codex but all I can find is that it say that in the more fanatical Legions / Chapters like the Word Bearers etc Possessed are seen as far superior then normal Marines. Doesn't mention anything about the Word Bearers useing more of them than anyone else. Only that they are seen as more "important" so to say.

@dark apostle- it was in the earlier parts of the codex, I can't remember were I saw it.

Archived