Decisions, decisions.....

Ran a dreadnought last night and was competely unimpressed with it.......so i was thinking Oblits.....my question is do poeple run both them and termies or is it one or the other generally?

Also can my Socrerer Lord in termie armour deep strike with the Oblits?

Unsure as 5th edition is around the corner on the rules of joining before deep striking, pretty sure in 5th it will be that they deep strike separately like in 4th edition.

Oblits are the ranged fighters, terminators are more so short range fighters. Depends what you use them for I suppose, whats the units role you want?

I have regularly run both, together and separate and the Oblits regularly outperfom termies. It isn't even close. Oblits are tactically much more viable and for some reason seem to be more survivable. I think they draw less attention. My heavy is normally a defiler, a vindi and 2 oblits and the oblits seem to always get free range to destroy what they want.

I find them better starting on board than deepstriking and slowly walking their way across teh board, although the new shooting through units may change this tactic in 5th

Oblits are almost always worth the points you spend on them and they can provide more than enough cover fire for any army. Oblits usually survive too because they are almost always operating at extreme range. Terminators are also very worthwhile in my opinion, however, I find that you either have to mount them in a Land Raider, or take the 'all or nothing' approach when deep striking them. They are there to be noticed. They are there to be crammed down the enemy's throat as soon as humanly possible. They will likely die in the end because no wants a large number of terminators wandering through there army. Alternatively, if they come in late game they are always excellent at hammering the last nail into the coffin and solidifying your victory.

Ran a dreadnought last night and was competely unimpressed with it.......so i was thinking Oblits.....my question is do poeple run both them and termies or is it one or the other generally?

I use them both all the time. They tend to draw alot of fire and the rest of my army gets to have more fun. As far as the deepstriking your Sorcerer with the oblits in 5th, yes you can. Not sure why you would want to do it but you can. The whole taking your chance with the IC and the squad it's attatched to is gone. They all come down together.

Oblits can have plascannon. And the new rules for blast weapons make them sick. 3 oblits would be very good. Then again, termies are half the points, and ridiculously scary. Most people will shoot them with everything they got, ignoring the rest of your <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>. Especially if you DS them right on their doorstep. Plus, 5 points a combi-weapon is well worth it, and the reaper is worth its points. This unit can put out some DAKKA on the turn it lands.

To answer that second question: from what I've read about 5th edition, yes. An IC can join any unit previous to deployment, and you make only 1 reserve roll for the unit. In effect, any unit can act as a retinue in 5th edition.

Wow the thread is funny as sh*t! you all talk about deepstriking like its a sin but you seem to forgot the teleport homers(icons) so do none of you use icons for deepstrikers?

As to obilterators not attracting attention, then your opponents are stupid and deserve to lose if the obilterators or terminators aren't wiped out as soon as they are seen or show themselves.... rapid firing is not obilterators best friend.

I may eventually add twin obilterators to my army, but no more than two, I like my defilers way more, and will not sacrifice them for obits...

Yeah, I go Terminator heavy in my army, at least one group of 7. I use all Plague Marines with Champions, so each has an Icon. Give me a lot of options where to drop these guys if I want to avoid a nasty deep strike and it's great for backing up a squad that's outnumbered.

Archived