disembarking in 5th ed

meniscusmike

I noticed that there is no maximum distance that a transport can travel before its passengers can get out, I cant find it anywhere. this could mean that waveserpents can travel 24" then unload its passengers and orks can assault after their trucks have moved 18". 26" charge range anyone?!

mic

There is a rule which states that passengers cannot disembark from a vehicle which has moved "Flat out" that turn. It's on page 70, at the bottom of the section on Fast Vehicles.

Does it describe what "flat out" means?

Sadly dont have my book with me...and I have to admit moving 24" or even somewhere near to that does sound apealing......my Dark Eldar havnt been out much lately.......

There is a rule which states that passengers cannot disembark from a vehicle which has moved "Flat out" that turn. It's on page 70, at the bottom of the section on Fast Vehicles.

"Has moved... (or is going to move) flat out"

"Flat Out" is the third level of speed, only available to Fast Vehicles (12"-18").

12-18(24 over roads)

Anything more than the following, I believe would go beyond the realm of 'for discussion purposes only'.

Open-topped transports '...follow all normal rules, except for the following.'

"Models can embark or disembark within

2" of any point of the vehicle. The passengers of opentopped

vehicles may assault, even if the vehicle has

moved before their disembarkation."

Nothing in it about the speed of the vehicle. = 'as normal'

There were other notes on the effects of the vehicle being open-topped. But those do not apply to this topic.

(man, if this pace keeps up. I'll have the entire book memorized by the local 5E tourny I'll be helping out on judging, this weekend! lol)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question to pose here. The rules on disembarkation state that a unit can perform an emergency disembarkation at any time in the movement phase and are pinned for the rest of the turn. They also do not need to use access points and may deploy anywhere within 2" of the vehicle.

So the discussion went that if a wave serpent had not moved over 12" and its access points are covered by enemy units when the vehicle suffered a 5 on the damage table, could the occupants perform an emergency disembarkation.

The question is then furthered when the language of a turn comes into play. Should player 1, who has already completed their phase, be allowed to use an emergency disembarkation in player 2's shooting phase, and if so, is the unit pinned until the end of the turn as stated in the BRB or is the unit pinned until the end of player 1's next phase.

Thanks all.

I have a question to pose here. The rules on disembarkation state that a unit can perform an emergency disembarkation at any time in the movement phase and are pinned for the rest of the turn. They also do not need to use access points and may deploy anywhere within 2" of the vehicle.

So the discussion went that if a wave serpent had not moved over 12" and its access points are covered by enemy units when the vehicle suffered a 5 on the damage table, could the occupants perform an emergency disembarkation.

The question is then furthered when the language of a turn comes into play. Should player 1, who has already completed their phase, be allowed to use an emergency disembarkation in player 2's shooting phase, and if so, is the unit pinned until the end of the turn as stated in the BRB or is the unit pinned until the end of player 1's next phase.

Thanks all.

starting from the bottom: yes, emergency disembarkation is not voluntary movement, and is an effect of vehicle damage. if that damage is incurred from enemy shooting or assualting (as it usually will be), it occurs in that enemy phase. As for pinning, I don't have the book handy to see exactly how it is worded, but it is the same as going to ground, which occurs in the enemy shooting phase after rolls to hit or wound and lasts through the end of the owning player's turn.

as for emergency disembarkation when there are models w/in 1" of the access points: It has yet to be answered in errata, and I don't remember from the rules if it is addressed directly, but FWIW, official 4th ed logic says that if models must disembark and cannot, they are destroyed.

as for emergency disembarkation when there are models w/in 1" of the access points: It has yet to be answered in errata, and I don't remember from the rules if it is addressed directly, but FWIW, official 4th ed logic says that if models must disembark and cannot, they are destroyed.

I don't have the book at work but I read this last night. If you cannot emergency disembark then the unit is destroyed. I'll update this as soon as I can for proof.

So I would imagine that if the unit Emergency Disembarks in the shooting phase they would count as going to ground. I can buy that, makes the beloved tactic of sealing up hatches and destroying vehicles almost impossible, but still keeps the enemy pinned for the round.

I wonder if possibly the wording is incorrect in the damage table and that units in a vehicle that is destroyed must make an 'emergency' disembarkation. That would make some sense too. Well, I will play it by the spirit of the rule and not the letter until there is a clarification from GW.

Thanks everyone.

The rule for emergency disembarkation is for your own movement phase only. If you look at the rules for forced disembarkation (i.e. when you have to, due to it being destroyed), it has a different rule. Something to the effect that any model which cannot be placed within 2" of an access point, and not within 1" of an enemy model or within impassable terrain, is destroyed. Basically, the "emergency disembarkation" special rule is only ever an option for voluntarily disembarking, not when you're forced to.

Sorry about no rules quotations or page numbers. My friend still has my 5th edition rulebook at his house.

Emergency Disembarkation is a 4th ed name for mandatory exiting of a transport due to damage - sorry. "...must immediately disembark" if a transport is "destroyed" - BBB pg. 67

Hadn't noticed "Emergency Disembarkation" under disembarking (same page). interesting rule.

also interesting: passengers that survive an "explodes" result on the Damage table do not "disembark" - they are placed where the vehicle used to be.

so the old "block the exits" routine still works, iff you roll a "5" w/modifiers.

The rule for emergency disembarkation is for your own movement phase only. If you look at the rules for forced disembarkation (i.e. when you have to, due to it being destroyed), it has a different rule. Something to the effect that any model which cannot be placed within 2" of an access point, and not within 1" of an enemy model or within impassable terrain, is destroyed. Basically, the "emergency disembarkation" special rule is only ever an option for voluntarily disembarking, not when you're forced to.

Sorry about no rules quotations or page numbers. My friend still has my 5th edition rulebook at his house.

Sorry but no, there is only one description for for disembarking.

Sorry but no, there is only one description for for disembarking.

No, there isn't. The rules for voluntary disembarkation (not called that, but that's what it is) are on the lefthand page (don't have book, so can't say page number, but it's the lefthand page), while the rules for mandatory disembarkation (i.e. what happens when a full transport is destroyed) are on the next page (i.e. on the righthand page). "Emergency disembarkation" is only on the left page, whereas on the right page it specifically says that any models that can't exit without being within 1" of an enemy model are destroyed.

Imriel: "Emergency disembarkation" is in the first paragraph, left column, same page as effects on passengers (BBB p67).

basically it's a rule where you may choose to disembark, meeting all of the criteria regarding movement, but the access points of the vehicle are blocked by dangerous terrain or models. rather than exit to w/in 2" of the access points, you exit to anywhere within 2" of the hull a'la open-topped, but don't get to do anything else with the unit that turn. if that is not possible (swarmed by green men or something) then the embarkation is not allowed, there are no further ill effects on the passengers.

it's a way around the block-the-door tactics some people use.

my thanks again to Aidoeus to bringing this to everyones attention - very different rule than in 4th, though largely incocequential I would think.

No, there isn't. The rules for voluntary disembarkation (not called that, but that's what it is) are on the lefthand page (don't have book, so can't say page number, but it's the lefthand page), while the rules for mandatory disembarkation (i.e. what happens when a full transport is destroyed) are on the next page (i.e. on the righthand page). "Emergency disembarkation" is only on the left page, whereas on the right page it specifically says that any models that can't exit without being within 1" of an enemy model are destroyed.

I do have the book, and all it says for forced disembarkation is: "Passangers must immediatly disembark and then take a Pinning test. Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed (67, BBB)." So one has to then look to the only description of how to disembark which is in the left column of the same page and includes Emergancy Disembarkation. The fact that the first sentance tells you you can disembark in the movement phase doesn't mean the rest of the description is only limited to disembakation done in the movement phase

Imriel: "Emergency disembarkation" is in the first paragraph, left column, same page as effects on passengers (BBB p67).

I think you miss understood what I was saying. I was refuting that there are 2 descriptions of of disembarking (one with and one without emergancy disembarkation). I did in fact know what emergancy disembarkation is, where to find it and understood its purpose.

Archived