which legion?

ive decided to get either ultramarines or chaos....but am finding it hard deciding which chaos legion to get. the choices are;

black legion; cool, easy paint scheme, tactically flexible, can take abaddon if i want to.

iron warriors; easy to paint, cool background.

red corsairs; harder to paint but they would look cool, probably not as popular a choice as my other options.

night lords; cool paintscheme, good background...

i have my 1k list in the army list section...am trying to find an army that is easy to paint because im not a good painter, characterful, fun and fits my playing style...

any advice? thanks!

Well I would say go with BL, but I am biased :lol:

I well tell you though that BL are not easy to paint past a basic level.

Black is not easy to do detail, shading, or highlighting with.

Also black is so...well...black, that in order to get your models to stand out you have to have some bold colors with some "depth" on the models.

But the fluff and history is the most interesting of any legion or chapter (IMO).

Iron warriors here, because: I hate painting reds. (there goes W.eaters and bearers).

I hate painting blacks even more than i hate reds. (there goes Black legion)

The silly wings on night lords turned me off. (there goes night lords)

I was never much of a slaane<DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>e)there goes emp children for me)

That leaves Alpha legion, Deathguard, 1000 sons (was never happy with the models for), and IW.

Since I love siege warfare, have no problem fielding cultists and artillery in apoc games (as well as a gorgon if i ever get ahold of one) and who knows, i might want to field a titan sometime. Then yeah, the IW are the best choice for me.

I really like Alpha Legions style Maybe i'll do a paintoff before making a final decision. (comparing my painting on how an IW looks to how an AL looks).

Pick whatever legion you like the background and the look of, it'll be much more fun to play with an army you really like the character of.

For the IW this is easier since they get 2 novels besides their index astartes article.

The novels are "Storm of Iron" ( one of the best 40K novels ever ) and it's sequel "dead sky Black sun "

Archived