Rapid Fire

I've looked through the new rulebook

and now with a rapid fire weapon you can move and shoot with it at half it's distance (like in 4th)

but now youu can rapid fire it

which means if you have 15 or so orks flying headlong into your 10 man tac squad

you could move them into a better postion and then still rapid fire them depending if they are still in 12"

has anyone notcied that?

Athiair :)

I had not! That's excellent. That 10 man Rhino drive and dump just became a lot nastier. And Grey Knights just took another kick to the family jewels.

edit: forgot the sarcasm smilie didn't I? Well, here it is now for good effect. :)

i always though you could only fire once

as that's what all Gw people told me

In third edition, if you moved you could fire once up to 12", and not at all beyond this. If you stood still, you could fire once up to maximum range or twice up to 12". In fourth edition this got dumbed down to always shooting twice to 12" regardless of whether you moved or not, and being able to shoot to maximum range if you stood still.

Bottom line: rapid-fire rules haven't changed at all.

...from 4th to 5th - apparently there are people out there still using 3rd ed rules as they never realized the change in 4th. As a good friend says "RTFM" or :o

As far as i know... sweeping advance still exists... Doesn't it? I never really got to studying the new rule book to every detail, but i'm pretty sure sweeping advances were there

People, read your rule book. If you see something here that you missed, instead of asking us again, just open your book and read it.

You want page 40. The rules for Sweeping Advance are there, as are the (more pertinent) rules for Consolidation. Read them.

As far as i know... sweeping advance still exists... Doesn't it? I never really got to studying the new rule book to every detail, but i'm pretty sure sweeping advances were there

People, read your rule book. If you see something here that you missed, instead of asking us again, just open your book and read it.

You want page 40. The rules for Sweeping Advance are there, as are the (more pertinent) rules for Consolidation. Read them.

You people are confusing rules. Sweeping Advance is catching up to people after they fled. They die instantly and terribly. You can not longer CONSOLIDATE into combat after you destroy said squad. Really annoying for us BT who's entire base was in the charging from consolidation.

And back on subject, rapid fire was like that in 4th. Stay standing and shoot once at max range or twice at 12". You can also move and shoot twice at 12". You people have been playing 4th horribly wrong.

Just as a note it is twice at a target up 12" away or once at a target over 12" up to max. Also there is a change from 4th, they fixed the wording so that you actually have to fire the rapid fire weapon, rather then just be carrying it and fire any other weapon, to negate the ability to charge.

Just as a note it is twice at a target up 12" away or once at a target over 12" up to max.

Isn't that exactly what was already said?

Also there is a change from 4th, they fixed the wording so that you actually have to fire the rapid fire weapon, rather then just be carrying it and fire any other weapon, to negate the ability to charge.

What? Where do you see that? I see nothing that says you can't choose which weapon to fire with, so a squad of Chaos Marines 5" from an enemy can by all means fire their bolt pistols at the enemy as a lead-in to a charge.

(on the last bit) He's saying they cleared up the wording for RF weapons and charging. $e only had it wored that any model that fires, and is carrying a RF weapon may not charge. Which led to much confusion, debate, and arguing. Now it specifically says if the RF weapon is fired, they may not charge. So no more confusion, debate, or arguing over it.

Just as a note it is twice at a target up 12" away or once at a target over 12" up to max.

Isn't that exactly what was already said?

No its not, everyone has only said it's "may fire once up to maximum range" rather then once at targets over 12" up to max. The first means that if the target is less then 12" you could choose to fire only one shot, while the second requires the target to be over 12" to allow you to only fire once. Granted, with the change to Gets Hot, theres very little reason to reduce the number of rapid fire shots you put into the enemy, but one should still know that if your target is within 12" you must fire twice even if you stand still.

(on the last bit) He's saying they cleared up the wording for RF weapons and charging. $e only had it wored that any model that fires, and is carrying a RF weapon may not charge. Which led to much confusion, debate, and arguing. Now it specifically says if the RF weapon is fired, they may not charge. So no more confusion, debate, or arguing over it.

dont forget my personal favourite:

"a model carrying a rapid fire weapon may fire twice up to 12"

when RAW Lawyers started coming throught the woodwork in my local GW, my dark angel devi squads began rapid firing plasma cannons at them (as i am "carrying" a rapid fire weapon, i can fire twice up to 12", it doesnt mention what with :D )

"unfortunately" that wording hicup was fixed as well in 5th :D

when RAW Lawyers started coming throught the woodwork in my local GW, my dark angel devi squads began rapid firing plasma cannons at them (as i am "carrying" a rapid fire weapon, i can fire twice up to 12", it doesnt mention what with

Sweet!

Except that C:DA states that devastators may *replace* their bolters for a heavy weapon.

Btw, the rules for rapid fire weapons have changed slightly.

The wording is now that you cannot assault after firing rapid fire weapons, instead of being unable to assault after firing if you're carrying a rapid fire weapon.

So no more problems for having a bolt pistol and a bolter.

Archived