Which Dreadnought Weapon(s)?

Note I do not run any under the new codex but if I did,

Two Dreads with dual DCCW, less chance of them shooting my own men and walkers in close combat are nasty under 5th ed.

I run one at 1500, dual cc, hv flamer and bolter...

I would run two decked out the same, beside eachother, as a moving meat grinder. if they are the closest targets to one another, they'll shoot reachother with weaopns too weak to damage one another. just be sure to keep that hv. flamer off the rear armor...

They're monsters in cc, look out for those fire dragons and wraithlords... blasted wriathlords...

one game my dread charged into a wraithlord (notbad, as they strike simultaneous) and I flew in my DP not knowing he would only wound on 6's (toughness 8? are you serious?!), anyway, the dread got 'sploded on the first round of combat after causing a wound, and the dp held on for three more rounds before succmbing to the unrelenting wraithlord. by that time I was in position to blast the crap outta him with oblits when the combat ended.

but yeah, there's always been this sick appeal to run three dreads each with plasma canons and missile launchers... terrifying, for both sides...

I used to run a dread w/ plasma cannon (not in this dex) loved it.

The only way I would run a dread in this dex would be w/ 2 DCCW's that way you could only shoot yourself with bolters (the more I think about how I can't run my army the way I would like it, the more this dex pisses me off !)

what role do you want the dread to play?

that question must be answered first...

anti - armour = no running, lasscannon and ML, extra armour

running takes away your shooting....in this case it is a bad idea

as you want to maximise its effectivness

anit - infantry = assult cannon with CCW/ML, extra armour

running to escape / get into possition (stupid short range of assult cannon)

probably just a 6" move will suffice

fighter = dual CCW, heavy flamer, smoke launchers, extra armour

run at the enemey, too and from cover

only time not running is when launching smoke or firing heavy flamer before the charge

not sure if chaos get EA thinking about it...

well the equivalent obviously

I wouldn't splash out on many gifts, as its just a waste of points

oh and make sure oyu magnatise all your arms so you can swap and change haha

If I run a dreadie, it's with a Twin-linked Heavy Bolter and DCCW. I play a Plaguemarine heavy army, and the Heavy Bolter isn't likely to cause a lot of damage to my troops. Still... until there's some kind of a fix, that Crazed table is pretty awful.

I'm looking for more of a hybrid setup. Heavy Flamer and extra armor for sure. Its just coming up with the last weapon that is troublesome. I've played a couple games with lascannon and its been nice because it can move and fire and pops tanks, and on a fire frenzy it hurts but can only kill 2 infantry at most. However it is expensive at 145 points with this kit, so i am considering the other options. Plasma cannon is very tempting for sheer destructive potential and cheaper cost but then is so risky. Autocannon doesn't seem worth the 20 points, and heavy bolter isn't bad but isn't particularly impressive. Multi melta and missile launcher are both cheap and can take out tanks. Really missile launcher is probably the best deal cause its 10pts and can pop tanks or hit lots of infantry.

im in the same fix myself! for my iron warriors my dread is getting either a plasma cannon, a multimelta or another dccw...not sure which...i may just go for the dccw cos its safer and could be good fun when it gets into combat!!

i like the plasma cannon though but my dice rolling is very unlucky (except when i play orks for some bizarre reason!?my orks are better at shooting than my iw)

id give the dccw a go...see what its like....run the dread up the board, scare the enemy into shooting at it...if it makes it into combat...should be fun!

Call me crazy but i still use the plasma cannon drednaught. It's only a 105 points and can lay out the damage from a range or from up close. It requires careful placement to protect from fire frenzy but other than that I think people worry about it too much. Fire Frenzy is only a 1/6 chance. The only thing that bothers me is the drednaught not doing what I wanted.

I like the idea of running a plasma cannon dread just to make sure my opponent knows that i'm insane. And after the first turn you should never be in danger of fire frenzying yourself. and i think the small risk on the first turn or two is made up for when you fire frenzy on your opponent.

I usually run a Lascannon/DCCW Dreadnaught with my Death Guard army... Dreadclaws really come in handy with these guys, as you can drop them into your enemy's lines and not worry about him going psycho into your own ranks.

ahh

fire frenzy =\

is see you prediciment

you dont want a over powerd dread mowing down all you're troops

but you don't want to nerf it so it can't kill antyhing...

possibly an auto cannon...

or plasma...

auto cannon is quite high strength, 2 shots twin linked

plus at str 7 it wont kill your marines outright and dosn't pierce their amour (AP4)

and with those stats its strong enough to take on most tanks and infantry (bar LR's and such)

i feel its a good mid point

plasma runs the danger of killing alot you're own men

3 if they are spread out, possibly more if they are bunched up

or maybe something alot more valuable

I think the autocannon is the gun you looking for

(dread, w/ autocannon, extra armour, smoke launchers and heavy flmaer = 115pts)

thats my 2p :tu:

The problem with the TL'ed AC is that if it goes crazy and you have a rino around, 4 TL'ed str7 shots are going to shread your rino into little pieces, possibly entangling or killing some of the guys inside.

Another question to add to this discussion: Is extra armor a must? Its certainly a good option, but is it a must have for every style? A Lascannon + Missile Launcher Dread is 135 points without extra armor. seems like a nice alternative to a 165pt basic las predator if you are going for a mobile long range tank killer other than obliterators. Would be hilarious to have it fire frenzy on your opponents as well.

I'm assuming you're a Khorne player by your avatar, so twin close combat weapons would fit your army nicely. It's the ONLY way I would arm a dread anyway because of their crap rules. And yes, go with the extra armour.

But honestly, if you haven't invested in a dreadnought yet, don't. What they do for the points can be done better by something else. This is honestly what it came down to when deciding what I wanted in my army list. They're just not that good.

I'm not specifically Khorne, i just use the avatar because it looks the coolest. I like dreads from a fluff and looks perspective mainly. I'm basically trying to find an excuse to field a dread instead of a defiler so that i can get a forge world one ^_^

TL-autocannon

Missile Launcher

I made it mostly as a fun project under the old codex but regret not giving it a CCW.

A second dread would have :

TL-heavy bolter

Missile Launcher

I like to keep my enemy, namely carnifexes and flying hive tyrants, at bay.

i bought a norm SM dread and put a leftover defiler face plate+greenstuff+chaosy goodnees.

also bought the FW dread plasma cannon and multimelta

im prob gonna run my dread with a plasma cannon and missle launcher so that i can kill the heavier stuff.

I bought an Emperor's children forgeworld dread, its beautiful, got some of the bits from forgeworld, some from ebay, didn't cost too much, i think in total the whole thing was like $70 - dread body, 2 cc arms, missile launcher, AC and plasma...

I only run him 2 cc and hv flamer tho...

When I play I use the Space Wolves Venerable style where the Dreadnought has the normal twin mount and then the Lightning Claw/Under slund melta gun or heavy flamer. that way wether I am fighting a tank, heavy armoured commander or anything else thats a threat to normal infantry, then I can just puncture/crush the enemy and then spray them down with molten materials and fry them in one move. takes out the enemy first turn or if it takes two, there no worry because of the heavy armour carapace.

Archived