Templates in CC

Yukka

Right. I had a game the other week and this cropped up halfway through.

It is pretty clear that you cannot hit anyone in CC with a template weapon. The rulebook specifically states you cannot deliberately place a blast marker or template over any models that are locked in combat although a blast marker could scatter into a close combat.

However, its the first bit that my friend was a bit pissed with..

The previous paragraph says that soulless commanders may not mind their soldiers firing indescriminently into the melee but cannot as their warriors would be "understandably hesitant about firing on their own comrades"...

But....

What if the Unit in question was a Wraithlord trying to use a heavy flamer, and the Units locked in combat were Chaos Space Marines and an Avatar?

The Avatar is immune to fire damage. The Wraithlord would know. He wouldnt be hesitant. He would probably be decisive?

I dunno, I didnt allow it anyway but it is an interesting point and possibly a house rule?

Think youd have to go with house rule there.

The Avatar in the example given would not be physically damaged by the flamer shot, though it might be blinded by the attack as the flames pass its eyes allowing a canny CSM to get a lucky punch. Guess youd look at it that way.

Hmm yeah good answer..

I guess you have to assume that the models are not actually staying in the positions you place them in a CC, hence the 2 inch rule from a unit in base contact. He wanted to drop the template on a couple of marines at the back so it wouldnt have hit the avatar but the avatar may be ducking and dodging and moving around within the CC area.. kind of thinking aloud here..

Good answer..

No.

It cant be done by the rules.

And although a house rule might make sense for you in this case, personaly I disagree and dont think it makes sense.

Sure the Avatar is imune to fire damage - but can he see THROUGH the flames now leaping around him??? possibly, possibly not - could mean that the combat itslef would not occur as noone would be able to see anyone else....

Really in all these cases there is one simple answer - is it allowed by the rules?

In this case the answer is no.

For a house rule you just ask another question - is this fair to everyone involved?

Again in this case the answer is no.

Like I said, house rules are house rules and if you all agree to it before hand, then go for it - but try to make sure its aways fair for everyone.

Plus, i don't care if you know he probably wouldn't be hurt by your attack, but if i were standing in the presence of a god made real, i probably would NOT want to shoot anything at him, especially when that god was known in the past for killing and hating my race.

Archived