Line of sight and bases

Cl4d

Since the new line of sight thingy, shluld all my units be sitting right on their base without any elevation, aka sand and slates. Like do I need to glue him to the base then do the base?

id say it doesnt really make a difference otherwise convertions would be out of the question and this just wouldnt sit right with a lot of players out there.

on a side note on modelling for 5th ed.

i know its already been discussed in my local store but any atempts to deliberately tailor a model so that its harder to hit or to allow a monstrous creature like an avatar or wraithlord to gain a cover save could be interpretted as not in the spirit of the game (ie. kneely marines and wraithlords).

i know its already been discussed in my local store but any atempts to deliberately tailor a model so that its harder to hit or to allow a monstrous creature like an avatar or wraithlord to gain a cover save could be interpretted as not in the spirit of the game (ie. kneely marines and wraithlords).

The problem with that is what about the marines that come kneely? I have 3 scout snipers kneeling and in the dev box is a set of kneely legs. Is using these legal models out of the spirit of the game?

I personally think people are less worried about kneely shooting models as opposed to assault ones. Especially since the obscured part only affects non-area terrain and vehicles.

Usually if a shooting model cannot be seen it cannot shoot thus is less "effective". Considering the average size of terrain (speaking purely from my own experiances) chances are slim a kneeling marine with a sniper rifle will be game breaking either for or against the opponent.

I think the biggest thing to watch out for are crawling monstrous creatures. Or those that customize their tanks etc to be smaller than they actually are to take advantage of cover.

Besides, what height is being lost on a kneeling marine? 1/4 of an inch? Man, that is splitting hairs to shoot or be shot at. Either you give the shot to the guy or he needs to not shoot at that model/unit.

As for a kneeling Wraithlord ... ok, but now he is shorter so his height advantage is gone. I'll take that. In all likelihood it would have a cover save no matter how short it got.

To the OP, to make gaming life simple - glue them on the base they come with and model/paint from there. Otherwise you are asking for a headache at the tournament level. Between friends (and I stress friends) ... who cares.

If you really want a pretty base, make it for display, but not for play.

;)

The problem with that is what about the marines that come kneely? I have 3 scout snipers kneeling and in the dev box is a set of kneely legs. Is using these legal models out of the spirit of the game?

The height difference at model eye level between a kneeling and a standing devastator is maybe 2mm. (I have them both standing side-by-side in front of me right now) I don't see it ever affecting LoS coming in or coming out. Likewise for SM Scouts, even the metal sculpts.

I had also been thinking about the implications of "scenic" bases and LoS, and the simplest way of fixing it I could think of, was to have a statically posed space marine (perhaps painted bright green like the templates) mounted on nothing but his 25mm base and use him as an LoS template.

so for example, you have a guy with a lascannon standing on a rock on his base, he gains extra benefits from LoS but is also at a disadvantage, so whats the easiest way to solves any issues???

use your LoS template marine and draw LoS from that, for both firing and return fire.

that to me solves pretty much any and all arguments, and you have a LoS template for everything, marines, bikers, terminators (not vehicles, cus when was the last time you mounted one on a rock)

also this is cheaper to do if you use spare models, or split packs between several players, but considering it should solve arguments, and makes the game flow easier, thereby increasing the fun, I personally think its worth it

a cheaper option is to use card, measure out your marines and whatnots diameters onto a piece of card, and use that

Archived