Started a Stormlord Mod last night...PICS NOW!

Full-choke

I started on modding out a Baneblade to become the new Stormlord last night, so far it is coming along really well. I have some pictures that I will need to post up here but I need some suggestions before I go any further. Some folks seem to think that the Heavy Bolters on the front should be turret mounted and others think it could be a somewhat fixed placement. Looking at the data sheet I think it could go either way. The trouble is that I started it with the fixed bolters in mind because that's what I thought. Now I think I may be on the wrong route and mind need to change?!?! Any thoughts or opinions might be helpful...

I will try to remember to post the pics up tonight of what I have done so far!

Thanks,

F-C

PICS ARE UP...

gallery_37026_2474_21625.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_27706.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_7529.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_5732.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_25826.jpg

Also, any help on trying to create the Mega Bolters would be nice...

I was thinking brass rod for barrels and using some tube to house them, but I'm feeling a little :D on that one. Just seems like it might not look too good. I think I might have to make one set of barrels and see what everyone thinks before I invest the time into the second.

F-C

Hey,

I started my stormlord conversion as well, a couple of hours ago. ATM the focus is on the troops-compartment, to make it look realistic.

I have as well been thinkinh about the megabolter on the front. As this is not twin-linked i'll only make 1 barrel. Also, today i noticed a small error in the apoc-reloaded book, about weaponry.

Is you follow the drawing of the stormlord, i says: 1 twinlinked megabolter, 2x sponsonmounted lascannon/tl-heavybolter, crew compartment heavy stubber and hullmounted tl-heavybolters.

In the profile-entry is only says:

single megabolter, sponsons with tl heavyflamer in stead of tl-heavybolter and an option for an pintlemounted stormbolter/stubber.

I think i'll follow the profile, not the drawing.

pictures will come soon.

Grt. Pim

Okay, the front area is obviously for the guns (which I am going with twin-linked for the Vulcan Mega Bolters)...based on all the other images I have come across on warseer and dakkadakka (CAD drawings for this thing) it is twin-linked just like the Macarius. The top little cabin is going to be the command/pilot house, I thought it looked a little bit better like that. I am not following the drawing from the Reload book bolt for bolt. The back is going to house the engine on the right hand side of the tank. The left (where the exhausts are on the Baneblade) is going to be cut out and replaced with a troop door. The right front is either going to have a pintle-mounted storm bolter or the heavy stubber. I am going to magnet the sponsons, but I am not sure whether I am going to build them with the flamers or not. My other Baneblade has magnets on the sponsons which are w/ the bolters...don't know what I am doing there.

But, it is a rough start, but it will turn around quick. I have been building the frame out of balsa and bits of sprue. I will cover it all with plastic card and seal it off with green stuff. Then I fill it all with epoxy, adds some weight but it really sturdies it up...it's what I did to my Baneblade when I modded it out. Hopefully here in the next few days I will have more pics for everyone.

I also figured out what I am using for the heavy bolters :P I found some Infusion tubes at work that will work perfectly! Oh the wonders of working for an artificial insemination company!

Any C&C is greatly appreciated so far!

F-C

More pics from tonights work...

gallery_37026_2474_40185.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_7129.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_21389.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_14546.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_20422.jpg

So much more to do but I think it's coming along great!

Also, here is a link to one that a guy built on dakkadakka.com, sorry, don't mean to advertise for other forums (I googled and found his project!)

DakkaDakka Stormlord Post

His is completed basically as it should look from the Reload book. I wanted mine to have an original feel for how I envisioned it before I got my hands on the datasheet with the piss poor drawing. The guy did an amazing job and I have taken some ideas from it but have obviously added my own. I only hope my build turns out as nice as his did!

F-C

Hey, it's free, can't beat that! They were old magazine rack dividers or something like that, got them from the local hobby store. It works just fine, and it is nice and easy to work for.

The Stormlord is the troop hauling variant of the Baneblade. Troop capacity for 40, 20 of which can shoot while the tank is moving. 3 sets of twin linked heavy bolters, a twin linked vulcan mega bolter and two lascannons. And for another 100 points you can add another set of sponsons with 2 more lascannons and twin-linked heavy 3 flamers. Oh, and the greatest part is that if you don't move it you get to shoot the mega bolter twice, 30 rounds of hell coming from that thing that can go after two different targets. 500 points to field it regularly, 600 with the extra sponsons, it is under the Imperium in the new reload book.

F-C

Wow. That's some powerful machinery. And you mean 40 Space Marines, 20 Termies? Or 40 imps and 20 Marines?

Troop capacity for 40, 20 of which can shoot

40 people in it, 20 can shoot, I think it is.

Nice job on the tank.

40 Imp Guard, 20 Space Marines I believe...I don't have my reload book on me. It is technically for the Imperium but like always in Apoc Space Marines can take it, which is why I am building it. I could pack a couple of dev squads in there and they have a mobile bunker with 14/13/12 armour that is driving while they are shooting :P , oh how I love the sounds of that. Or, I could always leave it sitting still and unleash enough bolter shots to hack any opponent off. Keep in mind the only reason I am building this thing is because the stats were just way too much fun to resist, lol. I hope it is as good in battle as I hope it will be.

F-C

More pics of the Vulcan Mega Bolter and rear door mod...

gallery_37026_2474_2276.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_11022.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_43901.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_9708.jpg

The last one is kind of blurry but it was hard to get a straight on shot. I need to do a little clean up work around the front, little smoothing out. The green stuff will seal a lot of the holes around the bolters and things. From there I move onto epoxy, I want to have it to the point of smoothing down the outside and putting bits on by this weekend. That way I have all of Saturday at the hobby store to work on it and get opinions from the folks in there.

F-C

Well, the stormlord is completely done now. I finished it up in the store last night. I still need to prime and paint it but that is the least of all the work that needed done. I am real pleased in how it turned out, really looks sharp. I will try and get some pics up tonight but I am at the gf's and her internet sucks for things like that. I cleaned out my bits something fierce for this project but the way it turned out is just awesome. I still need to clean up some green stuff on the front too but I am not sure how to go about that yet. Been thinking on it all morning. Well, I will post some pics of the final build tonight and I will post some of the final paint scheme too.

F-C

More pics...

gallery_37026_2474_13112.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_1263.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_21193.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_19408.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_32379.jpg

gallery_37026_2474_15802.jpg

I cleaned out my entire stock of bolters to string along the wall. Used a lot of bits to do the final work but I think it look extremely good once it was all done. The floor in the back is old sanding grit cloth, looks great for a metal mesh floor like I was wanting. I think the back end is really what makes the tank look the best. I can't wait to start painting it this week, I hope I get to start on it ASAP!

F-C

Archived