Heresy Death Guard

Mal

I've decided to roll my spare marines from my DA army into a Chaos army...

After looking through the pre-heresy paint schemes I liked the Death Guard one best, but I neither wanted to do pre-heresy loyalist nor post-heresy traitor schemes.... so I went right down the middle...

I have painted the model in the pre-heresy scheme but with the onset of rot showing on the marines and their armour.

I acheived this by weathering the white to an off cream using sepia wash and with bits of green puss leaking from the suits seals using thraka wash. Simple, easy and looks pretty cool.

I have just finished one, but my camera takes terrible pics without natural lighting (not even my artifical 'natural' lighting works :evil:) so I'll upload some pics in the morning.

In the mean time C&C welcome about my idea...

This is quite a good idea, one little problem though.

The death guard were never allined to nurgle during the heresy. They only became nurgle when fleeing from terra after horus was slain and they alligned with nurgle so that his plague did not kill them all.

Otherwise it would seem a good idea, maybe this army could be represented as what they looked like when being changed aboard their fleet of ships.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers,

Azadul

This is quite a good idea, one little problem though.

The death guard were never allined to nurgle during the heresy. They only became nurgle when fleeing from terra after horus was slain and they alligned with nurgle so that his plague did not kill them all.

Otherwise it would seem a good idea, maybe this army could be represented as what they looked like when being changed aboard their fleet of ships.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers,

Azadul

Hmmm I'm not entirely sure about that, I think they were infected sometime before the events of the siege/Horuses death.

Well if i am wrong, quite likely, then I am very sorry. Either way the idea is still plausible. Go crazy with it.

Hope to see the minis soon.

Cheers,

Azadul

Lol, np guys, I hadn't actually read all the fluff myself before deciding what to do... it just struck me as a cool idea... so I ran with it!!

Well here are the pics as promised:

gallery_36925_2490_547011.jpg

gallery_36925_2490_342007.jpg

C&C welcome

I see how you are using teh slime green like wash thing. However i think that it is just too subtle, i would suggest maybe using some other colour of slime as well, because atm it could be missed when playing and people just think loyalist death guard.

Just maybe some brown in there. Who knows, it just needs that little bit extra.

Cheers,

Azadul

There have actually been a few really good Heresy, or just post-Heresy era Death Guard with similar schemes by other members of this community. As a Death Guard player myself, I'm always a fan. My army, while good and filthed up, is actually a white base scheme, too. I think it's just more menacing than everything in vomit green.

And I think you're of the right mindset. Don't go too over the top with filth and disease. These guys would have just stopped polishing their armor having given over to Papa Nurgle.

A couple tips to improve things, though. I like to see more metal in certain places. The vents on the backpack, for instance, and the studs on the shoulder. That would help break up the color some. Also, with you green, another highlighting layer could really make the model. The knees in particular just look too flat.

Yeah I have more work to do with the green, I need to paint squad/company markings on them too.

I was undecided of what to do with the studs, I may do them black with silver highlights so the metal doesn't look monotone.

As for the green slime, it just doesn't show up very well on he pics, its very noticeable without being in your face green when looking at the model in person.

• 1 month later...

Ok updates!!

And lot of them!!

The ENTIRE army is now built!! WOOT!!

I have also completly changed the way im doing flesh tones, im now using the new green wash stright over white, they look very very sickly, and adding a blackened (purple) tounge and dark blue veins plus changed the eyes to black they almost look like walking dead! :sick:

I have grimed up the armour a little more, not too much but its a touch darker now, I still have to work on the slime for most of the army..

I have my obliterators in too now, im using the old 1987 RT Dreadnoughts for my oblits (seeing as they didn't actually have oblits at the time, this is the next best thing).

Also got my 2 rhinos nearly finished.

Sorry no pics, the army is at a friends house, we are half way throguh play testing it... hehe ;)

I'll get some photos done asap.

Im sorry?

That pic is of the unmodified paint scheme..

But the green has now been highlighted (so is toned, but not by much, I want a contrast there as per the priginal DG scheme) and the 'cream' is actually sepia wash over white, you can still clearly see the white in places to the 'true' colour scheme is shown but most of the model is covered in 'gunk' as per the blessings of nurgle.

I think it looks pretty cool, the the original styles (as much Mk6 as I could find/trade) and i've avoided overtly chaos-y models to represent the early stages of their fall into heresy.

You'll see the changes I made once I get the army back home and take some more pics (I may even take some of the current battle, but most of my troops are already dead, but then so are his! lol)

Archived