Never played against orks before

Azadul

Ok well the title says it all really, i have a battle against an ork army this coming wednesday. It will be the last games thast i have before the tournament which is next weekend, man i cannot wait.

Anyway, so far in 5th edition i have been going quite well, about 5 wins for 5 games.

This was mostly against mechs and lowly imperial guard. So orks are going to be a bitt odd playing. Is there any tactical advice that i could use in this battle.

If necessary i can post my list, just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Azadul

don't let them get the charge!

that is all

lol

lots of shots;

heavy bolters

missile launchers

flamers

assult cannons

have a good counter assult squad...marines lead by a chappy would be good

ermm

ordanace;

vindi and whiligigs

thats all I can think of tbh

tactics wise...

concentrate on killing the boyz

forget the other stuff...

the boyz are whats gonna hurt ya...

reduce their numbers so they might possibly fail their leadership tests

if you're more combat orientated

charge asap

have good combat units, thus inflicting more wounds....meaning they will loose combat and take fearless wounds

thats all I got for ya

hope ti helps

DH

don't let them get the charge!

that is all

lol

lots of shots;

heavy bolters

missile launchers

flamers

assult cannons

have a good counter assult squad...marines lead by a chappy would be good

ermm

ordanace;

vindi and whiligigs

thats all I can think of tbh

tactics wise...

concentrate on killing the boyz

forget the other stuff...

the boyz are whats gonna hurt ya...

reduce their numbers so they might possibly fail their leadership tests

if you're more combat orientated

charge asap

have good combat units, thus inflicting more wounds....meaning they will loose combat and take fearless wounds

thats all I got for ya

hope ti helps

DH

HMMMM THIS SOUNDS STRANGELY LIKE LOYALIST ADVICE!!!

Now from a chaos perspective, I don't know if your tournament list includes them, but I put a defiler (well 2) in just for armies like orks, the advice here is solid, minus the gear thats loyalist... in essence, your best bet is shooting with counter charge element, with orks its a matter of when to charge and with what unit, don't let them get the charge, perhaps we can give you more specific advince if you post what your list is going to be... things like rhinos really help against orks, but not how you think, for instance you can use them to cut off chunks of orks, by tank shocking and placing them in the way of the orks, they either have to deal with your rhinos, slowing them down, or walk 1" a way from them, its really annoying for them...

So show the list, and we'll see what we can do.

Make sure to focus on obliterating full units, don't stop till the unit is dead or running away.

Sacrifies units, let the orks have a small squad, one they can wipe out then gun them down on your turn.

Remember don't be overwelmed, pick a unit and destroy it.

Have countercharge units ready. The longer a fight drags on, the worse it gets for orks.

keep all vechs away form powerklaws

Well from what I can tell i need to 'castle' and shoot the hell out of them, destroying one completely before moving on, would it not be better to get both of his big squads below 10 though?

He has told me roughly what he has. Luckily no shokk attack gun though! Meaning castling is an even better option.

However, he did say something about a looted tank, not sure what though.

Anywho....

Here is the list that i have at this time:

HQ

Daemon Prince:175Pts

Wings, Mark of Nurgle, Warptime

Troops

10 Chaos Space Marines:230Pts

Aspiring Champion with Powerfist, 2 Plasma Guns, Icon of Chaos Glory

Chaos Rhino:50Pts

Extra Armour

10 Chaos Space Marines:230Pts

Aspiring Champion with Powerfist, 2 Plasma Guns, Icon of Chaos Glory

Chaos Rhino: 50Pts

Extra Armour

10 Chaos Space Marines:205Pts

Aspiring Champion with Power Weapon, Melta bombs, 2 Flamers, Icon of Chaos Glory

Chaos Rhino:35Pts

Fast Attack

8 Chaos Raptors:225Pts

Aspiring Champion with Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, 2 Meltaguns, Icon of Chaos Glory

Heavy Support

2 Obliterators:150Pts

Obliterator:75Pts

Obliterator:75Pts

Total - 1500Pts

Well this is the list that I am working with, I could possible have changed the obliterators to defilers, but it is a bit late now.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Please keep them coming.

Cheers,

Azadul

If you can spread the orks apart and take them on piecemeal where your marines have the advantage, then you will win on normal rolls (no super luck for him, no bad bad bad luck for you).

As others have mentioned, dont let them get the charge. Dont let their numbers swell up on you. If you see a bunch of big things in the back, remember if you cant whittle his numbers down where theres a marine for every 2 orks, you wont have a chance if he pounds you.

Watch out for his non-troop orks, they have heavy marine munching power, especially the flamer guys and heavy support dakka dudes.

If you have transports and see him using entire units of rokkit boyz, roll a rhino forward to take hits for the rest of your army, they have a rule they must fire at the closest vehicle in range. These guys are super annoying I suggest ranged weapons fire on them, they will peck at you just within 24" if they move right and kill without much bolter fire hitting them. Mobile firepower is great against these guys.

Only their largest vehicles dont move 24", even then they still go faster then normal or assault from. If you see one with transport capacity within 20", that means its charge range. (12"move+waagh fleet roll+6"charge+2"disembark distance) Be sure to pound most of his transports if you can early in the game.

If you are going to take a big charge, orks arent known to take down units of marines with just firepower, set a unit up to take the fall from the charge and charge everything into melee. If those orks arent mega armored, they will fall to normal attacks at a decent rate. Power weapons are to be used because tourniment armies tend to have lots of armored orks, and feel no pain.

They will flank march with some smaller units with a few weapons, be prepared for it.

Dont underestimate a single flame tank that looks small, it packs a punch, kill it if he intends to beat a few. (Its cheap, if it kills a few it's made it's worth)

I highly suggest reaping his orks ASAP even if you see an ordinance out there. If he kills your infanty before you kill his, its basicly over, tanks have a hard time dealing with such numbers compared to a few marines, I dont care if they are dakka and ordinance tanks you use, they will take them down easily.

Are you willing to change your list? If you're not, it changes the advice people give.

If you are willing to change, switch Warptime for Nurgle's Rot. Against horde stuff (like Orks) it will kill far, far more that warptime. With Orks, 1 successful NR = about a third of all orks within 12" dead. ;)

Yeah, against orks NR is great, but what about meq's? and besides he is more of an anti-tank dude.

The only thing that i was considering changing was the obliterators for defilers, with the new rules these guys are really quite tough.

What do you think?

Azadul

I have a buddy that plays nothing but ork so we go at it alot in matches. I usually beat him though sometimes he can snake a win here or there, he did very very well in last years ard boyz and finished in the semi's. Anyhow on the to point, unlike everyone else here im willing to submit to certain things the orks just plain do better than chaos, that something is speed. You cant match it if he doesnt want you too so dont bet on not letting him charge, if a unit of trukk boyz makes it within 24 inches of you turn two or later, than you are charged and have to just deal with it.

A few tactics i use against orks are pretty simple things. For one thing i usually chum ball my army a little bit. I keep my units within 12 inches of eachother to make sure there is a focus on clearing melee asap, this also means if he slams into you with just a trukk boy unit or two, you will be there at the very least on your turn to break the combat if needed.

I found that playing against a speedy ork list was much much easier than actually handling a slower army with bigger units. Units of 30 boyz can give you nightmares, especially if hes a crafty ork and runs two warpheads and goes for a waaagh! everyturn :D

Watch out for the shokk attack gun, gotta get it dead asap or it will probably rip your army apart. If he has the mek with the shokk attack gun, than you are going to need to find a way to kill it, your oblits would probably do the trick with some plasma shots or even a deepstrike twin linked flamer.

ALWAYS know where the burna boyz are, alot of ork players run em in a battlewagon. 10 get out of the battlewagon and all of the sudden waaagh!, now you are stuck eating 40 str 4 power weapon attacks...Good Game whatever unit he charges.

Prepare to eat boss zagstrukk, nothing you can do about him charing you just have to be able to deal with it.

Watch out for snikrot, he comes up behind you sometimes and will eat vehicles hard and really put a hurting on some units. Again, nothing you an do about it accept to know its coming and keep your units close enough to support if needed.

My first turn vs orks is almost always to hold and serve, i literally just move into the posistions i want and blast as many transports as possible. Second target is the shokk attack guns if he has them, then i widdle down the larger ork boy units to a managable number. You always go first in melee vs him so smaller ork units arnt anything to fear. Orks like to run now once you drop them to 7 or 8 per unit.

Just my two cents, good luck to ya and have fun playing the green horde bud.

Well, that is one thing that i do not have to worry about with his army. You are not allowed to field, special/named characters in this tournament. Which is a bonus by the sounds of it.

I think that he is fielding a mixture of truk and foot-slogging huge squads, not sure about the burnas, but i think that if all goes to plan i will try to destroy his truks on the first turns, and then cooncentrate on slimming the hordes. Should be a tough battle.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Keep it coming, this is very useful.

Cheers,

Azadul

Your list looks ok especially if you add those defilers instead of the obliterators. Frankly the only other thing I see is your lack of range with your basic squads. Heavy bolters are very useful agianst hords and trucks. Also be very aware of the Waaagh, I won many games just becuase people did not realise how far I could charge.

but the problem is that it is for a tournament, and sure to have heavy bolter but that is a complete waste of 10 marines.

I think that i will stick with the obliterators, purely because i have altered the defilers slightly and they are still works in progress, and with only a week to go this daemon prince and a rhino that is not done seems like enough to do. Even more so because i have run out of green stuff.

Cheers,

Azadul

Easiest way to beat orks is to take 20 man squads with IoK or IoN. Orks simply can't beat them in combat. If he uses big foot slogging units, he'll be subject to a turn or two of fire, if he uses trukks, he simply cannot defeat a unit of that size in combat. Plague marines might seem nice, but being able to strike first is big. Using a 20 man squad with IoK, the median amount of orks you will kill is 15. That is BEFORE he gets to strike. If he uses a lot of small squads, you should still win combat and then he'll be taking quite a few leadership tests.

What you want to do probably depends on what your opponent is fielding. If he is using lootas, they need to be a priority target. Even with your armor saves, lootas can punish a lot of your units with their fire. I would likewise suggest vindicators over defilers as they will be less likely to be affected by ork shooting. Noise marines can be useful as well due to the staggering amount of fire they can produce. Plague marines can also be pretty effective for taking the ork charge. The PK will still do some damage but the plague marines should be able to weather the rest of the ork attack pretty well, then you can counter-charge with something like zerkers and destroy them.

As good as it would be if i tailored my army. However, the list is what it is, i cannot change it. i have handed it in.

So what do you suggest doing with what i actually have?

Cheers,

Azadul

I'm far from an Ork expert, but if I knew I were going to be facing a horde CC list with your models, I have an idea of what I'd do.

Set up as a gunline or refused flank, like you normally would, keeping your units 8-12 inches apart to prevent him leapfrogging through you once he [inevitably] hits your line. Face your obliterators towards his transports, obviously. I'd use the prince and the raptors as pre-emptive charge units, because they cannot score anyway. When I used to play against a horde Tyranid army, I used my Rhinos to funnel his little guys AWAY from my lines slightly, and then charge them with my assault marines, opening up a small space for his main force to walk through, and right into my guns. If he chooses to help the little guys, mores the better for me as I was free to charge him again, denying him attacks.

Because you lack anything longer than 24" with your main force, I think you're best to replicate that strategy using your Rhinos. Edge them forwards in a spear, tank shocking his units apart. If he splits them to one side or the other jump on him with your Flying units. Most likely he wont bother trying to reinforce the combat, and keep charging at your main line. Of course, this works better on paper, and better on longer boards.

Another thing to think about is using your Rhinos to Ram! his Trukks. If your manage to stop one before your Oblits have shot, then that's more plasmacannons for the Orks. Just some thoughts.

As good as it would be if i tailored my army. However, the list is what it is, i cannot change it. i have handed it in.

So what do you suggest doing with what i actually have?

Cheers,

Azadul

hopefully this does not come too late.

use your flamers to hold the center. place both other troop choice on either side, preferably within 12". get the Oblits to areas where they can give good shots on the field to take out the ork heavys and tanks. the raptors and deamon prince should be used as your shock troops. get them to engage where needed and make his horde react to your moves. tanks shock with rhinos to break up bigger mobs or ramming to stop the trucks from getting to close.

if objectives are in play use both squads in rhinos to take and hold one untill the flamer crew can advance. support their actions with your shock troops and covering fire from your oblits.

all else fails have as much fun as possible :)

Sacrificial 5 man squads of lessers might be good, 65 points and it will strand the orks in your rapid fire range for a turn and kill a couple of orks when they charge it, but as you cant use that.

Use your prince to hold up groups of klaw-less orks if they turn up, not everyone takes em, use the raptors to counter charge, they will get to you but your whole unit wont die, charge the raptors to break the combat and wipe out the orks once they reach your lines.

Plasma template his nobs with the obliterators.

Dont forget to fire rhino combi bolters, shove them in the way.

Archived