Tau Piranha + Flechette (sp!?!) Dischargers

ArmouredWing

So I've got a few games coming up this weekend one of which will be against the forces of the greater good. Reports from my scouts have informed me that there is a good chance that there will be a squadron of piranhas equipped with flechette (I think that's how it's spelt) dischargers.

Now I don't have the Tau codex to hand but if I remember correctly these things issue wounds to models attacking a Tau vehicle but when you've got a squadron with each vehicle equipped with these do the wounds pile up if there is only one vehicle in the squadron being attacked? (e.g. 5 in a squadron, one vehicle attacked but 5 wounds, one for each vehicle).

What do you think.

P.s. I may have got this totally wrong so if I have, be gentle! B)

As a tau player my understanding is they wouldnt stack. Models are only hit on a 4+ if they are assaulting a vehicle in base contact. So unless you had one unit attacking 2 vehicles they wouldnt stack.

Cheers Scott, can you give me a page number to refer to on this?

There has been a bit of contention on this.

Some folks have tried to claim that if any member of the squadron is attacked the attacker will suffer hits from every Discharger in the squadron. This claim is based on the fact that all members of the squadrons can be damaged by attacks against any one of them. As an example; a carnifex attacks a squadron of 5 Piranha. the 'fex scores 3 damaging hits and so damages 3 separate skimmers. In this example it seems to be logical that the bug should be effected by all of the flechettes. Where the problem kicks in is when a squadron gets jumped by a large number of enemy models and each Piranha has it's own group of attackers. If it works that way the Tau should never again lose a fight to anyone who uses CC. "My 5 Piranhas and their 10 point dischargers own your 32 gaunts. :pinch: " 160 dice = 80 wounds. 6+ save = 67 dead gaunts. Out of 32? For just 50 points. And the discharger fires BEFORE CC so the I6 of a genestealer is no protection at all. The tyranid menace is no more than an inconvenience. Doesn't seem very logical there does it? It's just another happy little example of a 4e codex locking horns with 5e rules.

So to answer your original question... Duh? I dunno. The extreme nature of it's effect on large units makes me think it can't possibly be meant to work that way. But it sure does seem to be what the RAW suggests.

I would think that the assaulting models are wounded on a 4+ regardless of how many vehicles are in the squadron, and not a 4+ for each vehicle in the squadron. I see nothing in the FAQ that addresses this either way. Brother_Dan'l makes a good point to the over/under poweredness of the ideas, but it seems consistant and fair to have each model in the assualting army risk 1 wound no matter the number of vehicles. I'm sure there will be firece disagreements. to be sure, shoot the things out of the sky and worry not.

• 2 weeks later...
My best advice... Hit em' with the warhound's turbolaser destructors! D weapons could honestly care less about your flechette problems. Plus, they ignore the cover saves. :D

Not an option mate, we don't play Apoc and I've got better things to spend those warhound £s on.

My best advice... Hit em' with the warhound's turbolaser destructors! D weapons could honestly care less about your flechette problems. Plus, they ignore the cover saves. :P

Not an option mate, we don't play Apoc and I've got better things to spend those warhound £s on.

Not to mention that the suggestion in no way addresses the actual question. do flachette discharges add or not?

The flechette discharger operates per vehicle, not squadron, and goes by "units attacking the vehicle". If you assault the one pirahna, only it's dischargers fire, BUT if you assault all 3 with multiple squads, they all fire the dischargers multiple times.

Its meant to counter swarms, not large targets.

Yes, it only affects the models that are directly attacking the individual vehicle.

One time in a 2,000 point game, a Black Templar terminator attacked one of my Devilfishes and it killed him LOL. 10 points for a 40 some odd point kill. It pissed him off, when he rolled the 1...

To nighthawks... the obvious answer to this question is that there is no obvious answer. And, regardless of whether you previously posted 'topic-related material', your post, stating that my post was completely off topic, was completely off topic as well.

In light of the fact that this is kind of one of those 'make a compromise' situations, I was just trying to add a little humor. Also, my solution is perfectly valid. D strength weapons would annihilate them. Not to mention that it is just as valid as yours: "...shoot the things out of the sky and worry not."

Archived