Blood Ravens test mini

Megalodon

I've decided I need a codex marine army with the new Space Marine Codex right around the corner. The hitch is I am a dreadfully slow painter most of the time, and highlighting marines takes a lot of effort to make look nice without being cartoony. Ancientgod did some fantastic looking battle worn Chaos marine a while back. So with that for inspiration I thought I'd give it a go on a loyalist chapter. I'm using this same technique on my fantasy Chaos army and I like it a lot.

I picked Blood Ravens because I've never seen an army of them locally, and I like their background.

This mini was painted in about an hour and 45 minutes, he still needs a few thing finished. I'm waiting on some decal paper to arrive so I can print the chapter badge.

What do you think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/EasyEight/40K/BloodRaven1resized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/EasyEight/40K/BloodRaven2resized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/EasyEight/40K/BloodRaven3resized.jpg

That's not bad! Usually I find people go a little over the top on battle worn marines, but this one seems fairly balanced. My only crits are the highlights on the knife sheathe and the shoulderpads. You should try cleaning the highlights up a bit on the knife, and the recesses in the shoulderpads look a bit too gritty for me, but that's about it. Other than that, great work! :rolleyes: I look forward to seeing more! :P

Cheers,

-Kal

Looking good. I wouldnt mind trying that myself - have just started BR's last week.

Its grey / black with boltgun metal higlights for the damage right?

Prime black, drybrush the whole mini with tinbitz, then drybrush with chainmail. Once the metal is done sporadically fill in with red leaving most of the edges with the metal showing.

thats a very nice looking mini, and as an army....woah, that will be a cool looking army.

my only complaint (and its a personal thing) i have never liked just sticking a knife to a leg. it just doesnt look right....too me. otherwise a very very god start!

phill

Sounds like a pretty cool way of doing it, I think I might test it out on one of my guys! They've white armour, so it might not work out too well, but you never know..

Good going though, I say roll it out across your force :yes: Blood Ravens seem to suit this look. I like the rough red paintwork you've gotten through this technique too, tanks will look well rough :)

What do I think?

I'm trying to decide whether to rate this 3 or 4 on my little scale. I'm honestly leaning closer to 4.

Level 1: Tabletop standard

Level 2: Excellent detailing

Level 3: Excellent detailing worthy of fancy characters

Level 4: Golden Daemon entry

Level 5: Golden Daemon winner

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. The reason I want to use decals is pure laziness.

I guess I'll build nine companions for him and see how fast I can crank out a whole squad.

Archived