Grenades vs. Vehicles in 5th

Basically, has any one found a different rule for grenade AP?

I got all excited about my feeble IG with krak or even SM chainswords hitting back armour, but I am now receiving a -3 on the glancing hit and -1 on a pen. All just because I cannot find something that says "AP penalties are for shooting only" or some such dribble.

In short: Grenades seem to be AP -

Any thoughts?

In short: Grenades seem to be AP -

What do you base this on? Is there an actual paragraph to suggest that grenades are AP-?

Having no AP is not the same as having an AP of "-".

So, go ahead and celebrate by blowing up those xenos/traitor tanks!

you can always associate the grenade to the simillar imperial weapon - frag/krak missiles and 'nade launchers have AP, as do all melta weapons (1).

while I don't remember melta bombs being designated with an AP, and would therefore not use it as AP1, it supports the point made by master Incarias in so much as there is no statement about AP-, which is very specific, and you can see that these types of weapons are usually NOT AP-, so yeah, go explodey some falcon or somesuch.

knowing AP is essential to being able to use the vehicle damage charts. as grenades may only be used as an attack against armour, it stands to reaosn that they have AP. however, only AP- and AP1 are really relevant, so just assume that all grenades are AP2+ for these purposes.

You're taking a ruleset and applying it to something completely different. Grenades don't have ANYTHING to do with AP as they are not weapons, they are wargear with their own set of rules. They don't get a bonus or minus for AP of any kind. All other modifiers still work though.

however you want to look at it - they ar eNOT AP-, nor are they AP1. they DO have the effect of penetrating armour, and as such do need to have this clarification.

No they don't. CC grenade attacks are not classified as AP-, therefore they do not suffer a penalty for that. Nor are they AP 1, so they do not get a bonus for that. AP isn't relevant to CC attacks so no clarification of what their AP is is needed.

• 2 weeks later...
you can always associate the grenade to the simillar imperial weapon - frag/krak missiles and 'nade launchers have AP, as do all melta weapons (1).

Warning, this has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Sweeping generalizations are a lil dangerous... Inferno pistols are melta weapons, but are AP2.

and reading all of the posts would let you know that we covered that, I recieved my corrective tounge-lashing, and we all moved on.

I reread the posts. I still don't see where someone told you that inferno pistols aren't AP1. Is there an extra 'hidden' post in here that I can't see. Because... I can't see it.

Regardless, inferno pistols are AP2. Not AP1. I was making sure that noone read your post, and went on that info. It's like the misunderstanding that was going on around my area for a while that exorcists got 2D6 penetration, just because they are AP1. You can't just corelate things like that.

Agreed on what most people said about 'nades, they aren't AP-, nor do they have an AP value.

Archived