Mobile violence...

I typically play loyalists using the DA codex (successor chapter), until I moved here (to Phoenix, from San Antonio) and one of my fellow players at the store pointed out that my rhino convoys and gratuitous use of special weapons lent themselves more to a chaos army. I scoffed, but at his request, I used the codex and played a game..

... I'm hooked. Mobile rhino violence and walkers with ordnance, I seethe with purpose now!

The only problem is that I'm all about fluff. My DA's Belial was built using the TDA chaos lord with 2LC. I melted DA emblems onto his greaves after painstakingly filing all the chaos stuff off of the model.

Now I have a new one, who is very much a chaos lord, but I sort of wanted it to be the same individual. With that in mind, I ask you, the Chaos community, what kind of personal event it would take to get a space marine, deadly veteran of a thousand campaigns in the glorious god-Emperor's name to turn his back on the Imperium of man and lock himself, and the thousand marines under his command into an endless cycle of war and death. Plunging whole worlds into war and bringing planetary governors who once welcomed his assistance with open arms to their knees.

What compels a person of iron will and absolute devotion to rescind his oathes, take up daemon weapon and combi-bolter?

I've read Soul Drinkers, and I noticed they are mentioned on this forum along with the other renegade warbands. I don't want to copy that idea. I sort of wanted it to be a decision he made in light of the only logical choice he could have made.

Any ideas?

To be a warrior is to invite madness and call it combat.

An individual has every emotion, ones that are little used, and when the right time comes, they are tempted.

To fight and come to realize that all they fought for was for nothing, to feel rejected and used.

The unstable are easily manipulated.

Take your pick. I hate to make your fluff for you since most people like having their own individualism. (If I name a few possibilities you may feel robbed of thinking of it yourself)

But if you prefer I can mention my own version. A soldier that reverses their psychology where combat is the norm in life, and he cant live without the rush of a fight and feels everything should revolve around combat, thats a true chaos soldier.

The Horus Heresy books are a rich source of "Why a Marine could fall to Chaos". From anger to pride, marines are subject to most of the same "deadly sins" as mere unaugmented humans. As Roultox said, YOU should really decide what makes your commander turn. BUT a good basic guide is HALT- Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Hungry for power or adulation, Angry about perceived faults in the Imperium or just anger-filled in general, Lonely as being almost immortal can warp a marine's mind or having seen one too many comrade killed in the name of the Emperor, and tired of any number of things; Tired of being considered the good guy, tired of fixing the messes of the Imperium, tired of being ordered to do questionable things...

The galaxy is FULL of reasons, and the Chaos gods will almost ALWAYS suplly the means for rebellion...

Or if you want to remain a loyalist, why not use the chaos ruleset, and explain that it fits your "combat doctrine" better. In such a case it would probably be a good idea to avoid using daemons, possessed, spawn and defilers (due to them being too daemonic/chaotic)

In regard to what Deneris said, in the chaos codex look at the story of Constantin the liberator, thats rather a good basis i think, but easier perhaps if we have a full description of your playstyle/list to look at, or especially a god, a god to which your going to dedicate yourself, as its very easy to come up with a fluffy fall if you know the full destination so to speak

Charosian's Exiles-

TDA chaos lord with mark of nurgle and daemon weapon (pics in the offing)

6-9 terminators

CSM x 10 with chaos glory, fist, 2x melta and rhino

CSM x 10 with chaos glory, fist, 2x melta and rhino

CSM x 10 with chaos glory, fist, 2x plasma and rhino

The cult- These guys always hang in back and support the top 5 units

Lash sorcerer

2 obliterators

2 obliterators

1 Defiler

Here's what I was thinking- Apollinaris; a hive world plunged into recidivism and rebellion. One deacon's message of freedom and upward mobility captures the hearts and minds of nearly ever serf and subordinate on the planet. Massive civil war ensues. Since it's an ecclesiarchy matter, sisters of battle are brought in (I HATE SoB's) but are quickly overwhelmed by the millions of people eager for freedom.

Now, Apollinaris is in the Cygnus sector, the home sector of the Angels Praenuntius, who offer to aid the beleaguered Imperial forces. Though told to butt out, Chapter Master Karaiyan is justifiably irritable that there is open rebellion in the middle of his stomping grounds. He sends his first company Captain and best diplomat, Charosian along with a sizeable strike force (an augmented battle company--a planet is a big place, after all) to intervene.

When he lands, he finds the nobility terrified of everything and taking out their collective frustration on the few remaining loyal servants who are left. Though disgusted within a matter of days by the affected airs of the nobility, he dutifully approaches the rebels to see if the situation can be peaceably resolved. Talks look promising when the Sisters get wind of where the rebels have hidden away a large group of children to keep them away from the fighting. Hoping to demoralize the rebels into surrender AND one-up the space marines, they torch the people guarding the little tykes and ship them off for 'indoctrination'. The rebels cease talks and immediately return to fighting. When called to council to account for their actions, the Canoness agreed that it was horrible, but a few more instances of torched and missing kids and noncombatants would see this war drawn to a swift conclusion. She also mentioned the idea came from the Imperial Governor.

Charosian went back to his ship, the Ligeia, and called all of his battle brothers together on the hangar deck. He told them what he intended to do, and told them he was taking the ship afterwards, but would leave any who wanted no part of what was to come on a friendly planet awaiting pick up. No hard feelings. 20 battle brothers decided they could not live without the chapter and the Imperium, and so the strike cruiser deposited them on some rock whose name I'll think of later. When he returned, Charosian landed all his marines by thunderhawk deep in the city where his battle brothers met with the rebels and struck an alliance. Charosian himself, with his terminator bodyguard, delivered by teleport homer, shamelessly ambushed the sisters of battle and then carried their rage on to the ruling nobility cloistered away in the top-most spire of the main hive.

I think that follows the standard progression of: Event arouses concern of local government > Local government fails containment, calls in Arbites > Arbites fails containment, gets attention of applicable Ordo > Ordo fails containment, lies through teeth but requests Guard or Marines, basically whoever picks up the phone first > Hilarity Ensues.

Add in personal details where the marines themselves viewed acts of horror that ensued the child butchering. Like the parents begging the marines, and under orders they refuse the parent, that turns to suicide right in front of the marines. A cult of suicide continues in desperation, and have it madden the marines a little.

A chain of events sounds prime when describing the fall into chaos. Could of said it better myself. Remember to make it as personal as possible, you have to dig into the minds of those that you want to turn in the story. And of course for drama, you could add a few perks like a few remain loyalists but act along with the program only to betray them later at a bad time and screw over the chapter. Things like that can keep pushing them off the edge.

As for the Sisters of Battle, a small reminder that they recruit orphans. Possibly brainwashing the children instead, and have them kill their rebellious parents. That could also be fluffworthy and hectic. And in the confusion the marines are locked with the decision to either kill the children, or let the important members of the rebellion be assassinated.

It can go deep if you know where to push it.

(Edit, added more)

Excellent ideas, thank you all. Now I just need to name them. I was thinking in light of the malfeasance of my chapter toward the Imperium as a whole, and going off of my name on the B&C, I think I shall call them 'The Malfeasant........' What? I'd like it to include malfeasant, or malfeasance. Yeah... that'd be swell.

Archived