WIP: Imperial Palace

ron

Thought I might post this here for some of you terrain lovers to take a look at and maybe offer some suggestions and/or advice as I continue this project.

I've started work on an Imperial Palace similar to the one found in the Cities of Death expansion book. You know, the one with the cool eagle on the top in the front.

Here are some links to the work I have done so far (all of the stuff is up on my blog):

Sketches and Planning stage (7 pics)

Construction: Full size mock-up (7 pics)

Construction: The facade (17 pics)

NEW Construction of the altar area

Enjoy, comments and advice is certainly welcome.

Excellent looking work in progress. I love the 'Eagle' theme of the overall building. The lions out front, flanking the entrance is a good touch. Statuary would look good as well... might I suggest a couple of the 'snap tite' bolter marines from the Painting Kit? One each side of that ledge where you put the chaos marine for the scale picture of the frontage would be good. They are realatively cheap, easy to assemble, and you're just going to paint 'em up as 'stone', or perhaps 'weathered bronze' anways... so why use normal tactical marines for the job? If you really want more dynamicly posed heroic scuptures, use a tactical sprue and put those down closer to the entrance... like flanking the doors?

Ideas were mine, but choice is yours.

Rymeer

I love it! Terrain projects are more fun, IMO <_<, than painting the armies!

Keep it up! You will hit a low point at some time, so just post some more pics and we'll boost you back up! ;)

Later,

Neal

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I actually have some terminators to use as statues either in front or inside the building.

I've added another link to the original post... I've done some work on the back portion of the building as well.

I see the palace as a place were all the battle brothers stand shoulder to shoulder to listen to the chaplains sermones. So large space works best.

What I would like to see though is with the walkways above the space have some banners hanging down from them above the space. Have them be banners of great men, battles etc but I think it would be pretty impressive to have a few remaining slightly torn and burnt banners.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on progress:

I've most of the pre-fab work done on the palace now. All that remians is the time consuming, detail work and all the smaller elements.

You can see how the whole thing looks now too, the last pic in the post can be clicked on for a large view of the palace as it is now.

Link: Imperial Palace pre-fab work completed

• 4 weeks later...

Archived