Perfect Unit...

Just as an interesting intellectual exercise, I would like to see the perfect unit, as conceived by each of you.

A couple base guidelines:

-Should not have more than one/two special rule(s) per unit. All other rules must be already established.

-Should not be completely overpowered; maybe if it has an excellent statline it should have some rule decreasing it's effectiveness or vice versa. (for example, my friend came up with an idea for a character who is like An'ggrath the Unbound in close combat, but he rolls a dice each turn and on a 1 or 2 he does nothing that turn)

-No existing special characters (as in making new rules for current characters)

-You should make up a little bit of backstory, that should explain the character/unit and its rules.

My example:

Bloodspillers of Khorne (Daemons):

The Bloodspillers of Khorne were the first creations of Khorne when he awoke in times beyond all memory. Hoofed monstrosities resembling in shape (if not size) the later Bloodletters, the Bloodspillers, being early work, were imperfect. They had no ambition, no lust for achievement, just a cold anger which failed to govern their intellect, and a thirst for blood which occasionally did. Despite these weaknesses, Khorne incorporated them into the front lines of his Daemonic army, and many were killed in the early wars of the Blood God. When Tzeentch first gained power, he probed the armies of Khorne for weaknesses which he could turn to his advantage, but was blocked repeatedly by the sheer rage of the Blood God's minions. Eventually, untiring, he found a weakness in the less-than-consuming anger that filled the Bloodspillers, tainting them with the Great Sorceror's influence. Khorne, furious at the interference, imprisoned the few remaining Bloodspillers. Eons later, Khorne's fortunes took a bad turn in the Great Game, and forced him to release his entire army to defend the Throne of Skulls. The tainted Bloodspillers annihilated enemy units with their whirling Hellblades, and Khorne, pleased with their carnage, reintroduced them in his forces. Since there are so few Bloodspillers remaining, one of the highest honours Khorne can bestow on his favoured Bloodthirsters is the assignment of a unit of Bloodspillers to his legion. In battle, Bloodspillers charge into the bloodiest combats and stay there taking skulls, or charge into another combat according to the whims of their bloodlust.

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

8 0 5(6) 5(6) 2 5 3 10 4+

Unit Type: Beasts

Daemonic Gifts: Iron Hide, Hellblade(s), Fury of Khorne, Unholy Might

Special Rules: Daemon, Hit & Run, Infiltrate, Whims of Bloodlust, Taint of Tzeentch

Whims of Bloodlust: To slake the bloodlust that takes hold of Bloodspillers in battle, they set themselves up in positions near to the enemy so that when the bloodthirst strikes, they can slaughter to their heart's delight. To represent this, instead of deepstriking like the rest of the Daemon army, Bloodspillers must designate a place in the enemy's deployment zone to appear in after deployment. They appear in the first turn of the Daemon player surrounding the spot picked beforehand. They may charge on the same turn of their appearance, but they will only have one attack per model.

Taint of Tzeentch: To represent the whims and taint of Tzeentch, as well as the effects of the Bloodspillers' charge, the opposing side in a combat including the Bloodspillers may not retreat from combat, and any combat including the Bloodspillers always counts as drawn. As well, a combat including the Bloodspillers will never end on the same turn as their charge; even if the entire enemy side is killed the Bloodspillers will still count as locked in combat, as the whims of their bloodlust force them to stay in the carnage, taking skulls and trophies. They still may Hit & Run after the first assault phase.

That's my ideal unit; I'd love to see what you all would consider a perfect unit. Of course, you don't need nearly this amount of fluff.

Naogedd out.

Well, unless your "bloodspillers of khorne" includes a VERY HUGE price tag (I saw no price at all) then your "perfect unit" = insanely overpowered, ridiculously cheesy, shouldn't have even be considered much less be in the game unit ?

What happened to your first two "base guidelines".

They may charge on the same turn of their appearance, but they will only have one attack per model.

I lol so hard . 24" treat range in the opponent deployment zone ? mr power man give me 3 maxed out units of those . and they " only " have one attack on the first turn ? good you gace them t6 to minimazie the wounds taken and then on the next turn they start whopping opponents ass with 3 str 6 power weapon attacks . Yeah unit is almost perfect . needs a better save +2 would be nice . and each model around 38/42 pts each .

I can make a unit like this too .

EC unit ala court of the young kings . a lord choice from 4 to 6 asp champions all steed mounted [24" treat range] . basic gear power weapon + sonic + pistol . 2 can trade their normal sonics for the hvy ones .

special rules . drugs for the whole unit including the lord . +1str , FnP , re roll misses . rolled like the old combat drugs . and because they like to hunt for prey they will get infiltration . pts costs for basic unit of 4 150 pts + 50 for each aditional .

handicaps . cant be used in an army with models without the mark or icon of slanesh[yes this does mean no tanks/dreads/transports] .

general chaos unit . counts as HQ but doesnt take up the slots .

cost 3 chaos sorc , consist of 3 chaos sorc [duh i know]

special rules : rituals

First is the good old gate from 2 ed . put two gates on the table non further then 36" from each other and not closer then 18" . a unit [only 1 per turn] can charge through it as though it was charging from one of the gates [the movement before it reaches it still counts . so if i has to move 3" to get in to a gate then it can charge 3" out of it ].

cast in the movement phase

Second is shater every other turn the chaos player can put a 10" apo blast template on the table withing 48" of the sorcs and in LOS . models under it are hit with eatheral hands of the damned . ap d6[same ap for whole units . but different units can be hit with different ap . str 2 hits ] . cast in the shoting phase

third the never ending fight . the sorc rise one chaos unit that was totally destroyed . the unit doesnt count as scoring in any way . its SnP and each turn [including the turn they are rised] durning the compulsory movement phase d6 of them die . cast before the movment phase .

handicaps . rituals can be only cast if the unit didnt move that turn or any of the sorc get wounded on the turn before .

All they need is a new transport option: a rhino with an assault ramp! How the Dark Mechanicus have gone 10,000 years without building one I'll never know

-

They did built them and they worked for thousands of years (all the way up to the 4 ed rulebook)

then the whole universe changed and highly trained solders lost the ablity to assault out of a rino for some reason.

And they build one now but it cost alot of pts and is called a LR. :)

I'm a man of simple tastes, Khorne Bezerkers ARE my perfect unit. All they need is a new transport option: a rhino with an assault ramp! How the Dark Mechanicus have gone 10,000 years without building one I'll never know

khorne bezerkers should have a special rule allowing the rhino driver to drive in reverse thus giving them the assault ramp :D

i get good use out of a ten strong possessed squad. including an aspiring champion. with icon of Khorne (31 attacks ) for most opponents or Icon of Slaanesh (21 initive 5 attacks, matches opponents characters & giving opponet less to work with) against marine types.

use a rhino to make a portible buncker or if the points are availible the land raider rush works great.

yes they do have a bit of randomness about them but that just makes a chaos force more interesting.

I've been wondering how effective a 10 man terminator squad would be if it had 10 termy champions, MoK, and 10 pairs of lightning claws. Expensive, yes, nasty, yes, fun? Perhaps. Anyone? 50 Str. 4 power weapon attacks rerolling wounds sounds nice.

I'm a man of simple tastes, Khorne Bezerkers ARE my perfect unit. All they need is a new transport option: a rhino with an assault ramp! How the Dark Mechanicus have gone 10,000 years without building one I'll never know

khorne bezerkers should have a special rule allowing the rhino driver to drive in reverse thus giving them the assault ramp :huh:

Only someone with Fabius Bile in their picture could suggest such a devious scheme :D I wish my men could drive their tanks forward, no matter in reverse, they're always immobilised!

Termis are the best unit in the game. Power Wep, Twin-linked bolter + 2+ save 5++ save. I shall say no more for a mear 30ish points.

My idea of a perfect unit -and- keeping it on the level with the fluff?

Well, he has to have a rapid rocket firing gun that can withstand heavy punishment, like a dreadnought stepping on it and still working. After that, the dude should be a super human, ya know, be able to bend four inch steel with his bare hands. Next I guess put him inside armor, some really thick armor that can compare to Iron Man and how iron man bashed into a desert hill at 50+ mph. In addition, he should have combat grenades for all situations. A cool color on his armor, with glowing eyes for effect. Maybe have a history like, he's five hundred years old and pissed off at a corrupt governing power that forces the human race to be like slaves both body and mind. Also perhaps have him worship a cool god or two, ya know, he's a warrior, he should worship warrior gods for the afterlife, like a vikings valhalla. It would be even cooler if they gave him gifts like a talking sword and made him look scary to freak out his enemies. After all that I dunno, maybe make a legion of them and give them all the things they need to be versatile against the enemy. Like being able to carry a tank weapon on their shoulder, and be able to drop onto planets in under a minute, give them vehicles that can drop with them already battle ready using the same ships. I dunno, maybe give them the best armored tank out there too while I'm at it.

I think my answer above is a very long: "We dont need another unit, we just need the legion codexes now."

I've been wondering how effective a 10 man terminator squad would be if it had 10 termy champions, MoK, and 10 pairs of lightning claws. Expensive, yes, nasty, yes, fun? Perhaps. Anyone? 50 Str. 4 power weapon attacks rerolling wounds sounds nice.

try to get this in to hth . with something other then units that actually want to get in to hth with this .

I would like Bezerkers with Jump packs, because i love jump pack troops and just a bit of a boost for my current khorney assault raptors would be nice, also fluffy.

Maybe 32 points a model with the bezerker unit upgrades.

Chaos Space Marine Veteran Raptor Squad

WS5 BS4 S4 T4 W2 I4 A2 LD10 SV3+/5++

3-10

bolt pistol/ccw/krak/frag

can take any number of special close combat weapons. One model can take Daemon Weapon. Up to 2 can take flame/melta/plasma pistol. any can take melta bombs.

Jump Infantry. Fearless. Cant be marked. cost about 40/45 [rather latter than former - probably 44 is the right number]

Not a chaos unit but a fun one i created once for my guard friend.

Experimental Soldier Unit

Due to the Imperial Guard's need for soldiers who can go toe to toe with with melee opponents and the limited availability of ogryns, some Imperial regiments have begun training soldiers for melee combat exclusively and have given them a cocktail of injections to boost the soldiers abilities. While the injections are only safe to be taken in relatively small doses at a steady rate, some less moral commanders have redesigned the injections to be delivered all at once to get the desired results with a complete disregard for the soldier's safety.

16 points per model.

WS:4 BS:2 S:3 T:3 Wo:1 I:3 A:2 Ld:8 Sv:5+

The unit numbers between 5-10 models. The unit can mounted in a Chimera at the appropriate cost.

Weapons

Laspistol

Close Combat Weapon

Frag Grenades

Krak Grenades

Special Rules

Furious Charge

Adrenaline Injectors

Adrenaline Injectors: Once per game the unit at the beginning of the owning player's turn may choose to use the units adrenaline injectors. This will give the unit the following Special Rules until the beginning of the next owning players turn, after which the injection wears off: Fearless, Feel No Pain, Fleet, Rending. After being boosted to super human levels, the soldiers can be left drained and helpless. Starting at the end of the owning player's turn in which the injection was used and also ever turn after, the unit suffers D3 wounds with no armour or cover save possible (this includes if the unit is still subject to Feel No Pain.) The surviving soldiers are left severelly drained and lose the Furious Charge special rule and are reduced to 1 Attack base.

Basically designed to be a devastating counter-attack unit, but it has to be used wisely because you only get one good go around.

Chaos Dreadnought

Front:12

Sides:12

Rear:10

Wargear: DCCW, TL Heavy Bolter, Smoke, Searchlight, Hullmounted Twinlinked Bolter

Special Rules: Humble. The dreadnought is treated with the utmost love and care by the dark adepts which has created a pleasant atmosphere for the fallen warriors to thrive in. They are typically friendly when approached.

Options:

May replace the TL Heavy Bolter with another DCCW and hullmounted TL Bolter for free.

May upgrade any DCCW with an underslung Plasma Cannon, this replaces the TL Bolter for 40 points each..

May replace all dreadnought arm weapons with a pair of TL Plasma Cannons for 40 points each. Note this does not replace the hullmounted TL Bolters.

May upgrade any hull mounted TL Bolter to a Plasma Cannon for 15 points.

Cost: somewhere between 150-250

Disclaimer: For reasons regarding balance points cost may vary.

Special Rules: Humble. The dreadnought is treated with the utmost love and care by the dark adepts which has created a pleasant atmosphere for the fallen warriors to thrive in. They are typically friendly when approached.

That made me laugh very very much ;).

totally agree with you there :P

one thing i would like would be to add some hounds of chaos (or fleshhounds) to them in the same way kroothounds join kroot.

Archived