Super Noob Assault Question :)

Hey guys, I've scoured both the 5th edition and my old 3rd edition rulebook, and I'm not sure whether this is on the GW FAQ as their US site is not working correctly for me, but here's a situation I encountered recently.

Unit gets assaulted, defeated, and falls back. Winner rolls to sweeping advance, no luck, but chases to 2 inches behind defeated unit...

First Question: It says that while falling back, units can fire normally as within rules, but it doesn't say anything about pursuing units being able to fire? This may seem like a no-brainer, but I want to be sure.

Second Question: If the falling back unit continues to fall back on next turn, and the pursuing unit decides to maintain pursuit, does that unit (the pursuer) still move with a roll of 2D6 as to keep the sweeping advance rule in effect? Or do they move regularly? OR can they just say screw it and stop/consolidate? This also seems like a stupid question, but it confused the heck out of me! In theory, you could chase a unit falling back with 2D6 all the way across the table by also rolling 2D6, and if the odds were crazy enough, chase them right off the table? Seems strange to me...

Last, I really need to gripe! I hope someone out there shares my sentiment... I think the worst rule change I've found so far is the decision to allow troops 'engaged' in close combat (within 2" of a friendly model base-to-base with an enemy) to have their full number of attacks is the stupidest idea on earth! It might not sound too bad until you're charged by 6 Genestealers and a Brood Lord in a small gap, and 3 of the stealers are 2" away yet still get 4 attacks on your guys! Lame CITY! Anyone agree? Or think I'm an idiot? I like hearing opinions, lol.

Thanks for reading.

Quick edit* I've jumped from 3rd to 5th edition after a long hiatus, so if that rule hasn't been the same since 3rd and I'm just an old geezer I apologize :) I liked that rule (the 1 attack if not base-to-base one), seemed realistic. Also apologize if something comes up as blatantly obvious in the rules, I'm partially retarded sometimes.

Answer for both questions is:

The unit that wins CC does not 'pursue' per se. They roll initiative to see if they 'catch' the enemy. the 'pursuit' is all just rolling dice. The winners do get a d6 consolidate move. After that they act normally which may include using their movement to chase the other unit off the board by staying within 6" of them, shooting them or even re-assulting them if they have enough movement.

I hope that helps.

As for the 2" rule it makes combats go quicker and easier. I fail to see how that is a bad thing myself. If it helps think of CC as a rolling mass of bodies (like a rugby scrum or the line of scrimmage in a (US) Football game) instead of unmoving models then it makes more sense. It also helps if you think of CC as not just straight melee, but includes short-ranged attacks such as pistol shots, rocks, sticks, grenades, bio spitting attacks, etc. So if you are near an enemy you can still contribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Question 1: Yes, a falling back unit may fire as normally but it always counts as moving for the purpose of heavy weapons etc.

Question 2: Yes, you can pretty much chase a unit off the board as it cannot regroup if there is an enemy unit within 6". Not even our dear marines.

Sentiment: I know what you mean - it sucks. ^_^

Archived