How useful is Abaddon?

Seth the Dark

Me too. A few years back, I played in a tournament at a local game shop every weekend for the better part of a year. I was playing loyalists then, and I quickly learned that a sm capt with 100 points of wargear, champs in every squad, and other wastes of points such as dreadnoughts were not the way to win. As many marines as I could jam into an army list was what did it.

Since then, I'm usually extremely frugal when making army lists, and as I'm getting back into the game after several years away from it, I find myself being tempted towards some of those shiny toys again. My new LGS(I've moved since the last place) runs 1750 pt army lists, and there's just not room in an army that small for a 270 point HQ unit.

Larger games, like 2500 points? Maybe.

Apocalypse? Hell, I'm taking every special character in the codex at that point.

wow, I can't believe you guys are saying this. I used him in a 1750 list for a while just to mess around. I played around 10 games with him and won every one because of him. I put him in a unit of 6 termies and deapstruck. They tried to shoot him and his unit up but could not get to him. I found him worth every point but I felt like I was cheating. So Now I only use him in Apoc games or regular games at 3k points

The only time I used him was with a proxy, to see if he was worth his salt. He died in one round by massed bolter fire, the next by gaunts, the next by a Sg with power claws. Ab didnt kill many either, except the first gaunt squad of about 25 he came to, and teared them appart. Always keep him with a body guard, he should be better in apoc, MILLIONS OF GAUNTS TO KILL MAKES AB HAPPY!

wow, I can't believe you guys are saying this. I used him in a 1750 list for a while just to mess around. I played around 10 games with him and won every one because of him. I put him in a unit of 6 termies and deapstruck. They tried to shoot him and his unit up but could not get to him. I found him worth every point but I felt like I was cheating. So Now I only use him in Apoc games or regular games at 3k points

you mean you deep strike run [otherwise the unit dies to plasma /blast weapons] to disperse . on the next turn if there is a unit within 12' they can charge ...aside of that depending on the load out the unit is 1/4 or more of your army .

either you play against a lot of statci gunline list or your opponents are very good .

i use him from time to time in my new black legion army, mostly for fluff reasons and due to the fact i don't give a rats ass about number crunching and winning every game as long as i have fun i'm pretty happy.

a good player can win with a bad army list and bad players can win with a good list, which side of the fence do the people that don't use him sit on? :(

a good player can win with a bad army list and bad players can win with a good list, which side of the fence do the people that don't use him sit on?

so you think that if two GT winers would play against each other and one would be using a pure GK army and the other an Eldar/Chao/Tau one [specially in the 4th edition] they both would have the same chance of wining ? I dont think so . From some lvl how good a player is stops being important [as long as he is really good] and the options the codex/army list , become the deciding factor who wins .

check how many chaos top players in GT sized tournaments use abadon .

that's the whole point tbh, GT players build lists to win games and probably couldn't give a dam about fluff,fun,characterfulness so let's not assume everyone is a GT player.

any idiot can draw up an army list for a GT that with favourable dice rolls can win but after all this is a table top RPG and not a game of counterstrike. Is building the best generic army possible and steamrollering over races a,b,c fun? or would you rather play Abaddon and his chosen fighting a fierce engagement against a joint force of grey knights and imperial fists?

so let's not say Abaddon is useless because i can probably say every entry in the dex's (any) has it's uses, sure there might be other thing in there that can do the job better but each entry was put there with a specific role in mind :tu:

a good player can win with a bad army list and bad players can win with a good list, which side of the fence do the people that don't use him sit on? :rolleyes:

I'm a pretty good player who makes solid and fluffy army lists.

Fluffwize, why would Abbadon be leading my small (by BL standards) army anyway ??

My army is lead by my own undivided characters that have years of my on fluff and game play behind them.

By your logic every BL army should be led by Abby or the owner is not a good player or not a fluffy player ????? :ermm:

Do explain your reasoning behind that.

If you play him right he is awsome. but that goes for every other unit to. If you have him at the back "leading" he is pretty much useless very slow but it also depends on missions.

IN 3rd I used to deepstrick him with a body guard all of the time. 4th ed they toned down all of the special characters and didn't use him as much as he wasn't neded to kill the other teams sp characters. Lately I have felt that ab dosenot belong in a regular game or most of the sp characters. It makes no sense to have the most powerful and hated chaos lord leading a small force. I think AB is and the others are more suited for appoc battles. Thats the time I unleash my 50 or so termies in a deep strike at the heart of the enemey with AB leading the way.

a good player can win with a bad army list and bad players can win with a good list, which side of the fence do the people that don't use him sit on? :devil:

I'm a pretty good player who makes solid and fluffy army lists.

Fluffwize, why would Abbadon be leading my small (by BL standards) army anyway ??

My army is lead by my own undivided characters that have years of my on fluff and game play behind them.

By your logic every BL army should be led by Abby or the owner is not a good player or not a fluffy player ????? :tu:

Do explain your reasoning behind that.

i didn't say that, if you read my post again i said i only use him from time to time......

too totally dismiss him as some people have are probably the people who use a lash prince in 100% of there games.

Abbadon is a d!ck. I played against him in a 1500pts game with my World Eaters. Yea, that was the only game in which I actually quit. The guy had him riding with a unit of Berzerkers in a Land Raider, and since all I had was assault power, there was no way I could kill him. An I6 Powerfist equivallent? No thanks.

If you bring abby in anything other than an apoc game or when you and your oppont have decided before hand to build a scenario around special characters, you won't have many friends across the table.

This new Codex turned a fluffy character into a cheeselord.

Archived