never ending swarm

Hi all,

Had a rules interpretation question for all of you. While playing against a Nid player, he had Spineguants on the board and showed his army list to let me know he paid for the neverending swarm upgrade. To summarize the rule, it states any group of guants with this upgrade can be recycled to come back into the game after the brood is destroyed. In the Codex, it states a brood is from 8-32 minis.

Here is the problem, he played his Spineguants in groups of 16, and after I killed 8 in a shooting phase, he stated that the dead ones could be recycled into a new groop coming in from his table edge. My interpretation of the rules would be that the entire brood needed to be wiped out and then could come back in. Just because the Codex stated a group could be from 8-32 minis does not mean you get extra troop slots when I killed half of your unit.

Am I wrong? Is it any time at least 8 are killed they can come back on, or is it the entire brood needs to be killed? Any help is appreciated.

Chris

I agree with you and Praeger, FWIW. pretty clear, really - it does not recylce "A brood of 8+ models" it recycles "The brood" of however many models were purchased in the first place.

I'm not sure, and I'll have to check the dex later, but I think they can voluntarily recycle them after they drop below a certain percentage. I think that it is the entire squad, however. As in, if it drops below xx%, remove the brood and bring it back in. I think. I'll check for you later.

no.

they have to be "removed from play" and there is no allowance for doing so voluntarily (unless you stand in front of a gunline or vindicator... but you know what I mean) - which means they must be destroyed, to a model before coming back AND they come back with exactly the same profile, number of models, etc... as they started with originally.

where do these interpretations come from??

I'm not sure, and I'll have to check the dex later, but I think they can voluntarily recycle them after they drop below a certain percentage. I think that it is the entire squad, however. As in, if it drops below xx%, remove the brood and bring it back in. I think. I'll check for you later.

*That* was an ability of the old 'seeding swarm' variant army they released in WD, shortly after the 3E codex came out. The new version is all or nothing. And if the 'nid player has a brood with WoN die, and does not bring them back on the next turn, he forfiets them ever coming back on. ('may bring them on in the next turn'. it's not forced, and they don't go into reserves. So if the don't come back once, they're incapable of dieing yet again to come back later on) And since each succesive brood that respawns is exactly the same as it's previous incarnation, each one will give more KP in an annihilation game.

Nope. They can only be recycled if they're removed from play. I.e. killed. Nothing in WoN says the player may opt to remove them if they're falling back. (that was, IIRC, one other aspect of the old seeding swarm, that is nolonger around)

Archived