BL or IW

azironlegion

Having played chaos since 98 I thought a new army for 5th edition was a refreshing course of action. With my templars almost complete the call of chaos is ringing in my ears. So my question is thus, i havnt flipped through the new chaos dex yet but do IW's still get any FOC benefits IE: swapping a fast attack for another Heavy support option? How viable are Iron warriors now or are they just Black legion with different colors and badging?

Nope no more swap two fast attack for one Heavy Support (or insert your legion swap slot here). Also there no Imperial Guards tanks anymore (don't know how spell it?). However we still get Vindcator which gose for all chaos armies now.

Basicly with codex chaos marines you can pretty much do anything you wish, howevber if you do plan IW you could use count as for some of the units

- Thasound Sons: Some sort of Elite shooty/markmen unit with force feild think ARC trooper from Clone troop army (star wars) or SAS style

- Death Guards: Tooled up Bionic monster

- Bezerker: Well we did get Bezerker in Index Astarties days

- Noise Marines: No idea really.

But as to Black Legion or Iron Warriors (from your heading for the topic). Iron Warriors all the way ;) nice metal add on bits/pack's, got a cool silvier skull icon. We like blow stuff up, we like seige & trench warfare.

IP

Normally I would tell people to go with BL ( THE prime legion and all ), but seeing as you've been playing BT since 98 (I assume from your icon), I assume you have a HUGE BT army. Trying to paint another mostly black army I think you'll lose your mind and/or get tired of painting it very quickly.

Might want to go with another paint scheme.

How viable are Iron warriors now or are they just Black legion with different colors and badging?

different color and less power [but thats nothing new khorn BL was superior to IW gunline lists].

I personally fell in love with the noise marines army [its not really a top tier army but it plays nice] , but then again as I dont only use noise marines its kind of a BL too . Another words its possible to build a semi-fluffy list out of the new dex for legions , but they are either weak or way underpowered when compared to the BL lists .

well ive only been playing BT's for a few months. I started 40k with Black legion back in '98 and since then ive done Black legion (loved em), Khorne, Nids, Crons, Tau and now BT's (i no longer have any of my previous armies however). I guess I was still hoping that IW's still had some modifiers to the regular chaos dex but I guess not anymore. You are true tho, having my BT's i dont think i will look to black legion for fear of getting tired of black armor. Ugh I hate having so many ideas and not enough money to carry them out right away.. Curse you GW.

So a not so final list for my future projects will be as follows

1. 2k pts of Iron Warrios

2. 1k pts of Berserkers

3. 1k pts of Khorne Deamons

Archived