5 Tactical Squad Sergeants batch paint.

Gareth

5 sergeant's to add to the sergeant from AOBR and I have all 6 tactical squad sergeants required for a full company. Going for cheap bolter/bolt pistol sergeants. I'm pre-empting the new marine dex by looking at the BA/DA dexs as a starting point. What with wound allocation being so painful to 5 man combat squads, I thought I'd go for zero upgrade sergeants, considering marines in general are now going to be getting bolter, bolt pistol, frags and kraks all included in the price, I think the costs for Vet sergs and powerfist/weapon aren't going to be needed. Certainly don't need the fist for vehicles, now that assaults on vehicles are against rear armour always and these boys are packing krak grenades. And being able to shoot 10 pistols and then assault, could make up for the loss of a power weapon by taking out a few casualties. Not to mention the sergs bolter is not to be sniffed at, its still an extra 2 shots when rapidfiring.

Ok I think i've convinced myself enough...

Front shots of the 5 sergeants.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Gareth_tyranids/Ultramarines/UM4thCompSergsfront.jpg

Rear shots of the 5 sergeants.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Gareth_tyranids/Ultramarines/UM4thCompSergsback.jpg

These are part of a gamers tale set of challenges over on the dragon. Its a points based league table, where we all pledge to complete stuff and get points for doing so... Mine was to paint all of the Assault on Black Reach marines in a month. I completed that with 2 weeks to spare, So last week i painted these, and this week I'm painting 6 tactical marines for massive bonus points. Its quite a cool way to paint an army. More can be read here if you're interested... http://www.thepainteddragon.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=75.

Thanks for looking.

I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Ultramarines with green rims everytime I see your work. Great stuff. The squad has loads of character in my opinion. Seems to me like a group of brothers/friends that have stayed together through training...

Yeah sure its vallejo game colour Ultramarine blue base coat, then blue lined with night blue, then i mix wolf grey into UM blue and progressively highlight up using subtle blended area highlights (it looks so natural many don't notice - but it doesn't look flat, so mission accomplished) then i finish off with a fine thin edge highlight of a 80% wolf grey, 20% UM blue.

Gareth... wow, just how long did it take you to 'speed paint' these guys?

The blues seem basic, but work super well. And the attention to eyes, and even the red helmets just pops out nicely. Great job again. I'm totally jealous in what you seem to have accomplished in what feels like... a month? Amazing. And here I am skipping out on an astartes project because I don't have the time and you've done such a stellar job in no time at all.

I'd really like to see you do up an 'army painting' tutorial. I've said it before, but a nice model or two is nice, but this level of army painting is truly commendable and takes great skill, patience, and a 'system' to do over an entire army.

Wow, very nice. They may be smurfs, but they're still sexy!

About squad make up and points, I'm fairly sure Tactical squads come with vets as standard in the new dex, meaning your gonna have to allocate wounds anyway, as they have a different profile.

Cheers,

WW

Thats fine. I'm not worried about losing a vet with a free bolter, but more worried about tooling up the vets and losing them. Tooling up, might make me choose not to use combat squads as a tactic, due the increased risk of wound allocation on tiny units.

Not having an expensive model in a unit to lose before making combat, means I feel more comfortable running 5 man units if I need to. So long as I have assault marines or my terminators in support, I shouldn't miss the veteran sergeants combat abilities... but will be grateful for his added shots for rapid firing bolters.

They look really good especially if you did them in a timely manner. I used to use a lot of cheap champs but they got more and more expensive now I'm running a lot of squads sans champ. I never did subscribe to mandatory powerfist syndrome.

Archived