Flamers in close combat

Tinus Maximus

I had a rules discussion with a friend the other day who stated I couldn't use my flamer template in close quarters combat/assaults. Can't I? If not how does it work? I still fail to get this, and right now it's making my dreadnaught kind of useless...

To make it clearer:

1 - No unit can fire any weapon into close combat.

2 - a flamer will give you the same benefit as a bolter in CC - in short nothing. You use the models normal attacks with normal bonus's for charging etc

3 - to fire a flamer you need to be within aprx 8"-2" as you can not be within 2" of the enemy, and the flamer template has a range of 8"

4 - Flamers are VERY useful weapons but do take some practice to use corectly - best used on assault units as they can flame away then charge in.

Hope that helps!!

3 - to fire a flamer you need to be within aprx 8"-2" as you can not be within 2" of the enemy, and the flamer template has a range of 8"

I think you mean within 8"-1" because you can't get within 1", not 2", of any enemy.

OP, are you talking about 'clipping' the edge of a combat with a flamer, while shooting at a unit that is near it?

If that's the question, then the answer is "maybe".

As far as shooting the weapon of a unit that is engaged in close combat, the answer is definitely no.

On a seperate topic, if you are playing a 3 way free for all, can one person shoot into a combat that doesn't involve his units?

And if so, how do you work it out?

I think you mean within 8"-1" because you can't get within 1", not 2", of any enemy.

Whoops - my bad!!

If that's the question, then the answer is "maybe".

Still a no - the template can NOT fire into combat at all.

On a seperate topic, if you are playing a 3 way free for all, can one person shoot into a combat that doesn't involve his units?

And if so, how do you work it out?

With normal rules - no.

With house rules - difrent story, lots of ways to work it out "fairly" rnaging from split wounds 50/50 to count models in combat, work out difrence in percentage of X vs Y make that a die roll - eg 9 vs 3 = 3 vs 1 = D3 roll = 1/2 = X, 3 = Y - however as this is a house rule its best to work out before a game - for more talk on the subject check out the hosue rules section :)

Archived