FAQ: painting yellow

• 2 months later...
My first question is if I want to paint yellow should I use white or black primer?. Second is when do you glue your mini to the base is it after painting the base and the mini or do you glue them right away then paint them all in one piece, maybe it's common to do either of those techniques if yes what are the cons and the pros for each one. Oh I forgot I'm also wondering if the bases with the boxed plastic models kit of space marines. Thanks

The undercoat you use for your yellow will depend on your technique and paint. if you work your way from leather through to yellow the black is probably a better choice. But if you want to go straight to yellow the white is a better choice.The white undercoat will still require another layer of skull white atleast. My persoanl approach is to use white, then laydown 2 thinned coats of skull white, followed by thinned down foundation iyanden darksun or tau sept yellow depending on shade. Then i thinnly build up layers of yellow until i get to the yellow i want.

As for basing, again it depends on what sort of base your doing. If its sceneic like a city fight base with lots of rock and debris. The i would say paint it either seperate or paint it before the model.

If its more just a flocked base the its probably easier to paint the model then apply the flock.

For the yellow I forgot to say im gonna layer from vomit brown to sunburst yellow i think. What about bases do they come with the model kits (I'm a first timer) I want to make sure I have everything before starting :D.

Ah ok...you will get simple raise black circulr bases. you will need to decorate themas you see fit. Be it simple brown paint with flock on top of that, through to more elaborate scenic bases. But no the things like flock dont come with the models just the black bases.

If you are starting with Vomit Brown (a medium color), I would undercoat your minis grey first. You want your undercoat to be as close to the same "shade" value as your base color as possible to avoid unnecessary extra coats of paint.

• 7 months later...

i donno if the quality will bother you but i just did this last night:

new link to video:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Star...nt=100_4745.flv

this is the end result

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/BnC%20Tuts/100_4746.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/BnC%20Tuts/100_4747.jpg

you can use red, or green, or brown, or purple and green, or red and green, or whatever colours you want to shade the yellow

I used yellow ink...the one you buy from an art store...now washes. Followed by yellow ink mixed with yellow paint, then yellow ink again, and lastly yellow paint. You can add some golden yellow too. I do as I like the stronger tint.

@Starks333 - that very nice. would you planning to make tutorial for that?

@Gussy - i try the yellow ink but when i try to mix golden yellow with ink it turn out nasty. when i try sunburst yellow i don't have that kind of prob but i prefer to paint golden yellow.

my major problem is i don't have the skill nor the time nor the patience to build the yellow color...

@SCC - not that one. there's another tutorial that uses ink/wash mix with yellow to paint IF. mebbe i seen it on other forum now that i still cannot find it on b&cs.. :P

@Starks333 - that very nice. would you planning to make tutorial for that?

@Gussy - i try the yellow ink but when i try to mix golden yellow with ink it turn out nasty. when i try sunburst yellow i don't have that kind of prob but i prefer to paint golden yellow.

my major problem is i don't have the skill nor the time nor the patience to build the yellow color...

You using ink or wash? Wash doesn't work it has to be ink from the art store...the ones in bottles that look like calligraphy ink. Did you prime white? Also, the mix with the ink and paint...you need to add water so that it's thin. I only add the paint as I like the golden yellow color. You can skip it but you'll just need more coats of ink. Or you can just do straight thinned golden yellow followed by another ink (after the paint dries).

well the yellow is basic, thin it out, apply several layers for even coat...then shade/glaze like in my video

if you are looking for quick and dirty, this wouldnt be what you are looking for however as it takes time and practice, its more for those looking to achieve a more advanced result(with blending and so forth)

my problem with golden yellow is that even if i thinned it with flow enhancer (winson) and water i still got stroke mark. grrrr

next stop, hardware store for yellow spray can.

@Gussy - i'm using yellow ink, golden yellow and gunk over white prime

@Starks333 - i try to avoid drybrush since i really want to to improve my mediocre painting skill , so that why i think yours is neat.

Be carefull with some spray cans, the propellant they use is known to melt plastic. Also, if like in the UK anyway, most yellow primers for cars etc have a "filler" element to smooth out light damage. This will of course mean that your figures will "gunk" up, with detail being rendered to that of blob.... :Elite:

well the yellow is basic, thin it out, apply several layers for even coat...then shade/glaze like in my video

if you are looking for quick and dirty, this wouldnt be what you are looking for however as it takes time and practice, its more for those looking to achieve a more advanced result(with blending and so forth)

if you add more water(as in keep some water in the paint and brush when you apply) you have more time to spread the paint around, and can keep it clean...removing all pooling with the brush(touching the towel, touching a pool, touching towel etc)

good brushes certainly help

but you dont need a 100% smooth, even, first or 2nd layer, cuz after 3 or more the yellow should be well evened by the thinned layers building up

Starks

Be carefull with some spray cans, the propellant they use is known to melt plastic. Also, if like in the UK anyway, most yellow primers for cars etc have a "filler" element to smooth out light damage. This will of course mean that your figures will "gunk" up, with detail being rendered to that of blob.... :o

well, i try a laquer (did i spell it right?) spray can and my mini had an orangey skin looking texture and very shiny so i dunked them in brake fluid. then i try another brand, this time its acrylic laquer spray. noticed that the second one is acrylic... and it had a smooth matte finish. not sure if the paint will stick or not but i will try to post some picture when i'm done.

but you dont need a 100% smooth, even, first or 2nd layer, cuz after 3 or more the yellow should be well evened by the thinned layers building up

Starks

i will try that, thank you starks

• 4 months later...

Hi I'm new to this forum and i was thinking about starting a new army, with the new Space Marine Codex coming out i decided that i would start my own chapter "Omega Crusaders"

I know its been brought up so many times, I'm so sorry for bothering all you veterans with this "noobish" question but what is the best way to paint yellow? not the fastest, not the 'non GW paints' way but the BEST way to paint yellow.

An I don't care if its over black but I'm looking for the best result, other wise I'll have to make up a way to paint yellow. . . An we all know how fun that is :( ;) :( :no:

Having painted aprox 4000+ points of Lysanders finest This process worked very well.

1. Start with a spray can flat white undercoat. I like Testors flat white for this best.

2. Thin down GW golden yellow and apply two coats while trying to keep a "wet edge" as you go. The wet edge is needed because yellows by it's transparent nature will get darker if they are applied thicker in some spots than others.

3.Using flesh GW ink hard line all of the joints and breaks in the armor.

4.Now add a touch of white to the thinned golden yellow in aprox three layers of highlight until you end up with aprox 50/50 white yellow mix.

5. Go back and carefully cut in with black and boltgun all the details.

It may sound like alot of work(because it is) but your models will show the difference.

An alternative to the above is use the foundation paints as a base over black and follow the rest of the yellow technique. The foundation over black may prove to faster with a very good result also. I will probably try it when a get my hands on some of the new marine models to add to Lysanders finest.

Hope this helps

Dornshammer

Yellow tutorial brought to you courtesy of the B&C Librarium B)

It's always worth checking the Librarium when you have any question you think might have turned up more than a few times, we try & grab the best answers we can and turn them into articles.

No need to thank us, it's just what we do, we're simply that awesome ;)

Archived