special weapons sniping

Okidus

Lets say I have a Tac squad with the Las/Heavy up on a hill, with the remaining 9 guys behind the hill.

I can take casualties from the 9 guys, and still give the heavy on top of the hill/bunker the cover save, correct?

The same would work for a dev squad, 3-4 heavies on high ground, with the remaining 6-7 guys in cover.

The advantage is the better cover save potentially netted from the squad, since the majority is in cover.

Yes. As this goes strikly against common sence it's right by the BBB.

Same is true for the other way round: you can loose a whole squad by only one man visible and the rest behind a stone wall. Miss all those cover test and whole squad is dead, dead, dead.

Which is how I managed to lose a full tactical squad in one turn last game I played. My opponent was able to just barely draw line of sight to one marine and then fired at him about 60 times with a single unit. I hate that particular part of the new rules, since they could just as easily have ruled that you only have to allocate wounds to targetable models if you pass a leadership test or something. So if a model cannot be targetted by anyone in the enemy unit, you can choose to allocate no wounds to it.

Which is how I managed to lose a full tactical squad in one turn last game I played. My opponent was able to just barely draw line of sight to one marine and then fired at him about 60 times with a single unit. I hate that particular part of the new rules, since they could just as easily have ruled that you only have to allocate wounds to targetable models if you pass a leadership test or something. So if a model cannot be targetted by anyone in the enemy unit, you can choose to allocate no wounds to it.

But could "all" of his unit see him? That type a situation usually also only has 3 or 4 being able to barely see the one.

ermmm not exactly celestin. it is true that if one of your guys can be shot the whole units can be shot...however each shooter must be able to draw line of sight. this can become hard in squads of such size that they actually get 60 shots (i take it that it was orks) as their own friends block their LOS all because its literal. dnt wanna shoot bob in the back of the head after all now do we :)

ermmm not exactly celestin. it is true that if one of your guys can be shot the whole units can be shot...however each shooter must be able to draw line of sight. this can become hard in squads of such size that they actually get 60 shots (i take it that it was orks) as their own friends block their LOS all because its literal. dnt wanna shoot bob in the back of the head after all now do we :tu:

Actually, it was not an Ork unit, but rather a bunch of War Walkers. (3x3 w/Eldrad buffing their shooting.) He had such easy LoS because the one model was out in the open and the rest were completely hidden. If one guy could see him, it was pretty much guaranteed that everyone could. You'd have to have seen the setup to understand perhaps, but think of it as 9 guys in the trenches and one standing above them: pretty much everyone is going to see that lone guy if they can see anything.

Well that sounds like it was just some bad placement then, the dudes in the trenches must have been pissed at little Timmy going,"hey eldar over here, here, we are here, come on we can takke all you got, huh, you girlymen, bring it!" *60 S6 shots later*......."dammit timmy"

But yeah, the point I was making got better explained by Cyber. It sounded like a mistake I've been seeing a lot of.

Actually, it was not an Ork unit, but rather a bunch of War Walkers. (3x3 w/Eldrad buffing their shooting.) He had such easy LoS because the one model was out in the open and the rest were completely hidden. If one guy could see him, it was pretty much guaranteed that everyone could. You'd have to have seen the setup to understand perhaps, but think of it as 9 guys in the trenches and one standing above them: pretty much everyone is going to see that lone guy if they can see anything.

3 warwalkers (max for one unit) with 2 scatter lasers each (highest ROF weapon they can get with 4 shots) would only be 24 shots. If he is using any AP3 2 or 3 shooting then it is going to be significantly less as they would only have one or two shots.

After the first 3 walkers fired, take the guy in the open as a casualty and then you are safe from the other 2 warwalker units.

If he fired all 3 units of 3 warwalkers (for a total of 9) at once then you were robbed. And if all three units were guided (re-rolls to hit) then you were robbed a second time.

Archived