[ARTWORK] Deamonhunters Concepts for miniatures

Colrouphobic

After having completed these I got the permission from the client to show them as I wish.

I am grateful for that as I now will share them with you guys.

The order of the day was- a Female Inquisitor in armour and a Sororitas with jump-pack.

They are slightly different from usual ideas, and I think that was the intent of the client. Client wanted something that looks distinct for his army.

I am fully aware of differences in helmet design and shoulderpad-design for the sororitas (as well as sword design for inquisitor) but it was following the clients needs that was (and always is) the order of the day.

Originally the Inquisitor had more "SM"-like armour but this was traded for the more "body-tight" powerarmour in favour of the models (which will be made based upon these concepts) looking more like actual women, and not like "spacemarines with fake boobs".

I added two versions of the sororitas, the one without the belt is the one the client preferred, the one with the belt I personally like best.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.freewebs.com/studiocolrouphobia/Finished-Inquisitor-990x815.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/studiocolrouphobia/Finished-Sororitas-althelmet-1060x815.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/studiocolrouphobia/Finished-Sororitas-althelmetnobelt-1060x815.jpg

(shown here are the ½ sized images, once the client has recieved his copy in his regular mailbox I will upload the 100% images. It's just nicer that way...)

Yeah, so would I :tu: But the commission was for these images.. I actually added the backback "front" views as extres as this is meant for modeller, to give away what would have to show and what would not have to show... Maybe next client wish for more extras?

Thank you Blackbone.

Those pictures are awesome as far as general Warhammer 40k go, the Inquisitor is spot on but the Sororitas don't look much like Sororitas. I could see them as a assassins or as a special brand of female storm troopers but not as Sororitas. The main reason that the Sisters of Battle wear power armor. The armor in the pictures doesn't look very powered . Maybe if they had more armor in the mid section then you could call it power armor, but then again I'm a fluff nut so I'm a bit biased.

Critics about accordance with fluff aside, those are still some excellent pieces of art, I do hope you'll request permission to post picts of the finished models, or at least give a link to the modeler's gallery if he has one. I may not agree 100% with what they represent, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see the finished models!

Again, excellent work Colrouphobic!

Those pictures are awesome as far as general Warhammer 40k go, the Inquisitor is spot on but the Sororitas don't look much like Sororitas. I could see them as a assassins or as a special brand of female storm troopers but not as Sororitas. The main reason that the Sisters of Battle wear power armor. The armor in the pictures doesn't look very powered . Maybe if they had more armor in the mid section then you could call it power armor, but then again I'm a fluff nut so I'm a bit biased.

Critics about accordance with fluff aside, those are still some excellent pieces of art, I do hope you'll request permission to post picts of the finished models, or at least give a link to the modeler's gallery if he has one. I may not agree 100% with what they represent, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see the finished models!

Again, excellent work Colrouphobic!

Oh I understand perfectly Telveryon. Originally the Sororitas I made had more fanned out shoulderpads, the typical "collar" and a bit more stuff around the mid-area. The client wanted streamlined and body-tight though. No worries, I might not be completely fluff-savvy, but I'm not going to do gross missinterpretations of Wh40k based upon my own ideas. Not that I think it is that big of a deal. Sororitas gets depicted on artwork wearing something more aking to leatherclothes then actual powerarmour.

That said, I see where the client goes with this and I would let him explain his own choices himself (He found me through Warseer so not sure if he is one here).

Thanks for the critiscism, good and bad, I take it all in and use to improve :sweat:

Well, my friend, as you said in my post a few days ago: "...you already know what I think..." This is marvelous! Being a tremendous fan of the Adepta Sororitas, I think this work fits my vision much more than what GW's been putting out all this time (even after the Codex: Witch Hunters came out). It's been years since the players of the chamber militant of the Iniquisition started asking for updated models and a change of style from the old metal mniatures, and I think your designs would be excellent as a basis for a well-deserved change.

I won't get into the fluff details, as I'm not one to do things 'by the book' either, but I can offer some help in the art department; whilst I enjoyed these designs a lot, the Sister seems to be a bit disproportionate, especially the legs, compared to her upper body. They look shorter than they should be and can either be a problem with the basic skeleton you used to build up the figure, or the pose of said legs causing an illusion. It might be worth noting...

Another thing I'd recommend, is to use an even lighter background when prsenting these designd. Not white, mind you, but something lighter would bring up the characters much more and would certainly 'liven up' a lot of details that get lost to the eye due to the predominance of the dark schemes we have to use when rendering the Dark Millenium.

So, excellent work yet again, my friend and I hope you get the praise you deserve!

Aerion the Faithful

PS.. You keep making me want to use your designs in my illustrations! I better finish up my other obligations so I can get busy using these B)

Hello there all.

Proud to say that I was the one who put the commissions in. And in all honesty I am really over the moon with the results. They are just as I envisioned both units in my minds eye and Studio Colrouphobia did an absolutely incredible job interpreting my ideas into something tangible. My reasoning behind getting the images commissioned and hopefully at some point sculpted was because I have just begun with a Daemonhunter Army made entirely of Grey Knights with only an Inquisitor and a pair of Seraphim units. While the Seraphim models are great they were not what I was aiming for. I wanted the units to fit in with the rest of the army and form a cohesive patterned whole rather than looking like an added SOB unit.

I was lucky enough to read a thread where someone had modelled their seraphim as Death Cult assassins with jump packs which inspired me to see a good themed Seraphim unit. I hate to boil it down to Girl Grey Knights but I had to ask myself what would a Sister of battle unit look like if it exclusively battled Daemons? Well that's what I think they'd look like. It fits with the rest of my army and looks great. In this case I wanted to present a nimble, manueverable unit which still looked very Knightly. I believe this has been achieved admirably. I see no reason why this is "Unfluffy" or in any way against the the spirit of the Sisters of Battle. Yes the armour is different and a lot skimpier (Which in my opinion is never a bad thing :P) but armour is different for a great many units. Space Marines, Guard, Eldar and most other armies differ depending on where they are from and their background.

For a Daemonhunter army where I wanted to integrate a SOB unit to fit in with the Knightly/Angelic theme the army has going this is a great success in my opinion. And quite frankly considering the vastness that is 40k there is always room for exaggeration and customisation with both the images, the fluff and the armies. This, in my opinion, is a good thing. I love to see themed armies and hear people's ideas behind why they went with it. I hope this sheds a little light on the SOB unit and the Inquisitor. Most importantly however is the incredible art Corouphobia has done and I'm not just impressed but really ecstatic about the results. It will be certainly very nice to see the end result and hopefully a model some time in the future!

~Drach.

p.s: That's the one Heru. Good spot. B)

I see no reason why this is "Unfluffy" or in any way against the the spirit of the Sisters of Battle. Yes the armour is different and a lot skimpier (Which in my opinion is never a bad thing tongue.gif) but armour is different for a great many units. Space Marines, Guard, Eldar and most other armies differ depending on where they are from and their background.

And here is were we disagree. As I've said, I'm a fluff nut and thus I may have a more orthodox view of the Warhammer 40k then others. It's my personal view that skimpy armor should be reserved to assassins, siters repentia, wytches and demonetts. If you don't agree with me, well, don't!

There are two reasons I consider them unfluffy. The main reason being that the armor worn by the Seraphim is far to thin to be powered armor, as far as bulkiness of Imperial body-armor goes that would barely pass as carapace armor. The second reason would be that powerarmor across the Imperium is quite standardized. While the overall look of a Black Templar's armor will be very different from that of an Ultramarine's, if you strip the robes and the chains you'll still get the standard looking powerarmor used by all marines. The same would apply to the Sisters of Battle. The only faction where armor differs wildly is the guard (and that's because they come from a million different worlds). Eldar actually are quite a bad example as aspect warriors not only share the overall look of the armor across different Craftwrolds but they also share the color, most Striking Scorpions will be green, most Grim Reapers will be black and so on.

Now that I've finished my rand and flexed my fluff muscle, a bit of a disclaimer. These will be you models and I'm in no position to say how should you use them, I can only wish you that you enjoy them and have fun using them. I must also thank you for commissioning them as I enjoy them as much as anyone else :P

I'll agree in that we'll have to disagree with this one. My reasons mainly are that I just think there should be some le-way for the 40k armies and their fluff. It's a big galaxy. :huh: Though if you're referring to rules as "This can't confer a 3+ save it's too skimpy" well that's not really a fluff issue and more of a rules one. I tend to be of the opinion that pretty much any stat in the 40k verse can be fluff accounted for. Reflexes for instance. Faster movement allowed through the use of less armour. So on and so forth.

Again there is nothing "Unfluffy" about them. Whether you personally don't like the design is a personal preference. As I've stated before the galaxy is a big place. Many things can happen. There are many different interpretations of the same thing. And power armour comes in all shapes and sizes. Armour between marines is bound to be the same since they all stem from the same original design created by the emperor. However they are improved upon and offer greater protection as the mark's increase.

There is nothing to say anywhere that I have read in 20 years of playing Warhammer 40k that simply because something looks a little different or differs slightly from the norm it automatically makes it unfluffy. Indeed GW have always been about customisation and innovation since Rogue Trader. Your views are more scientific, common sense and personal rather than based anyway in fluff. And normally I'd agree. Less armour is usually worse protection. However we all know that 40k doesn't work on any of these basis. And the rule of cool is how it flies.

Personally I really like the designs and ideas. I think it's very fluffy and gives a sense of mortality, manueverability and speed that a Seraphim aught to have. There have been many variations on power armour. Some are barely more than plate mail. Others like carapace. Some are bulky as hell. If you take a look at the models there are a number of different takes on power armour and I hope there always will be. Variation and a little variety arn't bad things. And just because you're used to the very recognisable sillouhette of power armour shouldn't nescersarily mean that you aught to dismiss everything else as being unfluffy.

Fluff is very easily explained with a few paragraphs of fan written background if you have a working knowledge of the current background (Which luckily is ambiguous as hell). And my idea is that the lack of armour would go to enhance their speed and maneuverability. If you can explain to me and cite references in the fluff that there is no Sisterhood in the galaxy that would ever wear or conduct such tactics than I'll be happy to bow to your 'flexing muscles' but currently I haven't read or seen any of that despite possessing a great deal of literature to do with Witch Hunters including the 3rd edition codex.

So I hope you feel a little happier now you've flexed your muscles but I still wholeheartedly disagree with you. It gives me nightmares of the person who'd refuse to give me a 3+ save if I brought out these units on the field. ;)

Though if you're referring to rules as "This can't confer a 3+ save it's too skimpy" well that's not really a fluff issue and more of a rules one.

I was referring to the fact there is no material in the Imperium strong enough to offer equivalent protection as power armor at that thickness. If there was, be sure that it would be rare and then only Inquisitors could afford it or else everybody would be using it :huh:

Again there is nothing "Unfluffy" about them. Whether you personally don't like the design is a personal preference.

O.o I've never said I didn't like the design, I like it very much! I just don't agree that the design suits a Seraphim.

If you can explain to me and cite references in the fluff that there is no Sisterhood in the galaxy that would ever wear or conduct such tactics than I'll be happy to bow to your 'flexing muscles' but currently I haven't read or seen any of that despite possessing a great deal of literature to do with Witch Hunters including the 3rd edition codex.

I never said you couldn't do it, I just said the that as far as generally accepted fluff goes it's quite unlikely.

++Edit++

It gives me nightmares of the person who'd refuse to give me a 3+ save if I brought out these units on the field. tongue.gif

If someone does that, just kick 'em in the shins and then invoke the "Counts As" rule!

I wasn't aware you are the judge and jury on accepted fluff. :(

I still cannot find any background material anywhere that would suggest that this wouldn't be accepted either widely or otherwise. It's a deviation from the norm but not to such an extent where I'm slapping on Hurricane bolters and conversion beamers. It's a little less armour. That's hardly enough to say it's "Not accepted in fluff terms" when you haven't cited any references in the fluff itself where less armour would make it in any way unaccepted or unused in the background of Warhammer 40k by Sororitas forces.

If you want to argue that they wouldn't be allowed the 3+ save due to their lacking armour (Though I don't think this is what you're saying from that last comment) again this is likely to be made up in terms of background with reflexes afforded by the missing plates (Which is likely due to the lack of interfacing that sisters have with their armour in comparison to Astartes whom would be faster in full armour than Sisters due to the Black Carapace). If it's because you don't think that they look like Seraphim, well I can't honestly say that they look like anything else. I had showed this picture to a friend without tags and he replied "Hey great Seraphim!".

If you're referring to the thickness of the plates then you need to look at the current Witch hunter and Female Inquisitor models which sport a very similar thickness in regards to their armour as the Seraphim here. Also I'd argue that it isn't so much thickness as quality that counts when it comes to Power armour and there will of course be trade offs. Space marines of course get thickness, quality and speed in their armour due to their implants and the sheer relic quality of their items. Sisters don't get the speed and they don't get the thickness of the ceramite so I imagine that their armour is usually of a very high quality.

I understand where you're coming from. I just don't think there's much basis in the argument that the background doesn't support it or that it's accepted as an unlikely design (Though again it's pretty skimpy. But rule of cool again).

Quality of the drawings is top notch, only thing that seems to jump out at me straight away is the fact the Inquisitor is using a Samurai style sword, and yet has no other reference to Japanese stylings, making it seem a little bit out of place.

And I'd have to agree that in no terms would I consider that to be power armour, but it's not too much of a stretch to imagine the seraphim wanting more manouverability in conjunction with the fast attack style of the jump packs.

Ow to the major discussions on fluffiness, rules and muscle flexing!

There is a very simple explaination as to why that Seraphim has a 3+ save. She's wearing a concealed shield generator, just not as powerful as a Rosarius, Iron Halo or even a Refractor Field (seeing as it's not a Invulnerable save).

See easy.

Btw - I still think that the Seraphim's armour is based on some of the armour types from Hellgate London (especially the mid portion which is exactly the same as a Female Guardian's mid range armour).

Quality of the drawings is top notch, only thing that seems to jump out at me straight away is the fact the Inquisitor is using a Samurai style sword, and yet has no other reference to Japanese stylings, making it seem a little bit out of place.

I think it would look more out of place if she was covered in Japanese stylings. She's an Inquisitor, she travels far and wide and picks up handy items along the way from various worlds.

Well, my friend, as you said in my post a few days ago: "...you already know what I think..." This is marvelous! Being a tremendous fan of the Adepta Sororitas, I think this work fits my vision much more than what GW's been putting out all this time (even after the Codex: Witch Hunters came out). It's been years since the players of the chamber militant of the Iniquisition started asking for updated models and a change of style from the old metal mniatures, and I think your designs would be excellent as a basis for a well-deserved change.

I won't get into the fluff details, as I'm not one to do things 'by the book' either, but I can offer some help in the art department; whilst I enjoyed these designs a lot, the Sister seems to be a bit disproportionate, especially the legs, compared to her upper body. They look shorter than they should be and can either be a problem with the basic skeleton you used to build up the figure, or the pose of said legs causing an illusion. It might be worth noting...

Another thing I'd recommend, is to use an even lighter background when prsenting these designd. Not white, mind you, but something lighter would bring up the characters much more and would certainly 'liven up' a lot of details that get lost to the eye due to the predominance of the dark schemes we have to use when rendering the Dark Millenium.

So, excellent work yet again, my friend and I hope you get the praise you deserve!

Aerion the Faithful

PS.. You keep making me want to use your designs in my illustrations! I better finish up my other obligations so I can get busy using these :)

Thank you my friend, I always value your opinion and you are right about the background.

The body and leglength I think is most likely an illusion, as I used a basic photo of a woman to set the scales for the bodystructure. Not confident enough with female anatomy to do it completely freehand. That aside, I should have made sure it truly looked correct though, next time gadget...next time ;)

As for using my designs, you know the e-mail adress, I do not mind at all, just keep in touch ;)

The one with the Jump Pack is inspired by the Female Guardians in Hellgate London right?

I got a few refference photos from client (Drachenfell) and I am not sure wherefrom, but he has confirmed this himself I believe.

Incredible stuff! Lean and mean! I like the Sororitas but never thought they looked as dangerous as they could.

Thank you!

And I'd have to agree that in no terms would I consider that to be power armour, but it's not too much of a stretch to imagine the seraphim wanting more manouverability in conjunction with the fast attack style of the jump packs.

As far as I understand, and as Heru also pointed out I believe, the Imperium is as divers as it is stretched, and technically there is nothing keeping samurai-style/Japaneese-/Asian-like equipment floating around in the galaxy. That said, wether they fit or not I believe is a question of taste ;) Drachenfell wanted it for this image and it is my job to try to make sure they work with the character. I hope I didn't make them stand out too much.

Ow to the major discussions on fluffiness, rules and muscle flexing!

There is a very simple explaination as to why that Seraphim has a 3+ save. She's wearing a concealed shield generator, just not as powerful as a Rosarius, Iron Halo or even a Refractor Field (seeing as it's not a Invulnerable save).

See easy.

Btw - I still think that the Seraphim's armour is based on some of the armour types from Hellgate London (especially the mid portion which is exactly the same as a Female Guardian's mid range armour).

I think it would look more out of place if she was covered in Japanese stylings. She's an Inquisitor, she travels far and wide and picks up handy items along the way from various worlds.

YEah, Drachenfell and Telveryon's discussion I have not quoted and I do not intend to say anything about this. My opinion is that in the end it comes down to personal interpretation and opinion wether something is fluff or not. I work with trying to make things look "gothic imperialism" when it comes to the imperium of mankind, wether they are slim, bulky or forms/shapes not hithero seen, I just try to convey the aesthetics that are giving an "imperium" sensation.

The drawings are amazing, any other pieces of your work you could let us see?

Sure, just search the forums in my name and you will find a few topics with artwork from me.

Also, link in my signature leads to my proffessional website, which holds galleries.

Thank you all for the comments.

Hey again all,

The samurai sword as well as the armour was mainly a preference that I wanted to see. And I really like the results. It's true that maybe a little more samurai stylings could have been used, but I wanted to keep the designs simple so that when it came to sculpting there wouldn't be a lot left out of the final product. I'm really happy with the Inquisitor though. The Seraphim just as much. And like I say above I can see where everyones coming from but in my own personal taste that's a Seraphim that to me looks awesome and will fit in well with a GK army. I think that Colrouphobia has done an incredible job with my ideas and Im really happy with the outcome. But again the design ideas are pretty much all me. So you can blame (or thank :P) me for the skimpy Seraphymn. B)

As far as I understand, and as Heru also pointed out I believe, the Imperium is as divers as it is stretched, and technically there is nothing keeping samurai-style/Japaneese-/Asian-like equipment floating around in the galaxy. That said, wether they fit or not I believe is a question of taste ^_^ Drachenfell wanted it for this image and it is my job to try to make sure they work with the character. I hope I didn't make them stand out too much.

I understand entirely, my gripe wasn't with it being there in the first place, just that it looked out of place. If an Inquisitor was picking up things from all corners of the galaxy, I'd imagine her to have not just normal gothic 40k armour and a japanese-style sword, but all manner of strange things as well.

In the end I'm just nitpicking for things to complain about because it really is well done.

Very nice art, indeed.

I love the look of the first Sister. She looks battle-hardened and rock-steady.

The posing for the Seraphim makes her look very lithe and nimble. I'm not personally a fan of the Stormshadow-esque (GI Joe!) helm, but hey, they're not my models, and I didn't pay for the art!

Bravo to Colrouphobic for the art, and to Drachenfell for the great imagination that thought them up.

As far as I understand, and as Heru also pointed out I believe, the Imperium is as divers as it is stretched, and technically there is nothing keeping samurai-style/Japaneese-/Asian-like equipment floating around in the galaxy. That said, wether they fit or not I believe is a question of taste ;) Drachenfell wanted it for this image and it is my job to try to make sure they work with the character. I hope I didn't make them stand out too much.

I understand entirely, my gripe wasn't with it being there in the first place, just that it looked out of place. If an Inquisitor was picking up things from all corners of the galaxy, I'd imagine her to have not just normal gothic 40k armour and a japanese-style sword, but all manner of strange things as well.

In the end I'm just nitpicking for things to complain about because it really is well done.

Thanks ;)

Very nice art, indeed.

I love the look of the first Sister. She looks battle-hardened and rock-steady.

The posing for the Seraphim makes her look very lithe and nimble. I'm not personally a fan of the Stormshadow-esque (GI Joe!) helm, but hey, they're not my models, and I didn't pay for the art!

Bravo to Colrouphobic for the art, and to Drachenfell for the great imagination that thought them up.

Thank you :P

And thank you Drachenfell for offering me the chance to do these ones.

Archived