unmanned Drop Pod?

nighthawks

Brothers,

I have heard talk lately of a tactic where a unit is purchased with a drop pod (w/ deathwind launcher) but deployed seperately from the transport. I believe the unit would need to be held in reserves, and walk onto the board whilst the pod drops in behind the lines to unload large blast template fun on the hordes and contest objectives.

is this legal? is there anythign which would prevent a squad from arriving on foot while the pod deep strikes, or some overlooked rule that forces a unit with a pod to enter play IN it? haven't been able to find a good piece of contrary evidence.

Thanks!

Currently, no. The rules for DP's say the unit *must* enter play through it. It was FAQ'd for the DA that they could, but that's for DA only (the codex made no mention of 'must'). If it'll change for generic marines, with the new codex, remains to be seen. (another month left)

So far as I can tell, you can do this, but it does raise the question of why you dought a drop pod! We will have to wait for the new Marine codex to be sure, but the rulebook seems to permit it.

See the BRB, P94, Reserves rules: 6th paragraph (starts "Similarly, the player must specify...".

Hope that helps.

'zeke, this is quote agreeing with what you said: C:SM (4th) P:21 "such units remain in reserve and arrive by drop pod,... "

Thanks for the pointer to the DA FAQ, too. I thaught that sounded a bit wonky, but apparently legal for DA... who'da thunk it?

Whichever GW idio... devloper suddenly decided to pull a Kenedy and say "why not?". (or, just didn't bother to read the previous rules on them. Then again, that 'FAQ', they admit, wasn't completely their work. So it may be some none-gGW idiot that just arbitrairly decided to send in [i[their[/i] 'interpretation.)

Archived