Daemonhunters core Army (by GW)

Bornnover

Hi,

I have read about Core Army for Daemonhunters on UK Website and it looks like good starting point (cause this army doesnt have any battleforce or something like that). It can be found here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/daemonhunters...ting-started/6/.

What do you think? I want your opinion or help If is this army good for start (I wanna play 1000 pts).

Thanks

Bornnover

The points cost is off on the 2nd GK Troops squad. It's either a psycannon and the squad is undercosted by 10 pts, or it's supposed to be an incinerator instead (and the points are correct).

I would say it's not a good army. It's a fine selection of models, models you're definitely going to want, so there's no issues with buying them. They just don't make a good starting force.

Firstly, Troops are supremely important, and this army has just two minimal Troops units. At 1000 pts or less, maybe you can only afford two, but you better bulk them up!

Secondly, taking special weapons on GKs should only be done in limited circumstances. The GKs' greatest strength is their well-rounded flexibility. They are almost perfectly balanced between shooting prowess and assaulting prowess. They project a 24" threat bubble, on the march, and can react to almost any threat. Vanilla is best. When you give one or more members of the squad an incinerator or a psycannon, you are spending points to take away the flexibility, simultaneously removing the massive assault threat the model used to possess. In essence, you've created a wildly expensive (but otherwise normal) Space Marine with a very expensive flamer or very expensive heavy bolter. There are uses for those weapons, but on your flexible, basic Troops is not one of them. Take an incinerator in a squad you can mount in a transport (usually a land raider), or not at all. Only then can you expect to get worthy performance out of the template, offsetting the potency sacrifice and points expenditure. Take two psycannons in a Troops squad to create a static firebase for holding an objective in or near your deployment zone. Only then can you make maximum use of the gun's range and take maximum protection from the shrouding, thus protecting your investment in the squad and the objective.

Thirdly, GKTs are still truly excellent units, but they cost a small list too much in terms of Troops. They should probably be dropped. I don't include anything beyond a BC until games at least 1500 pts in size.

Fourthly, in a small list, take an AC/DCCW dread only if you're playing under the common convention of modern AC stats. (Namely, Assault 4, Rending.) If you aren't playing that way, don't ever take this dread. Most of the time, what GKs need is anti-armour. It's one of the core weaknesses of the army: a distinct lack of heavy, ranged firepower. You can't always assault a tank! ;) Most of the time, therefore, GK dreads should be kitted out as TLLC/ML, and not AC/DCCW. Again, in a small game, a S6, rending assault cannon will probably be good enough. But once you get to 1000+ pts, lascannons and missile launchers become absolutely necessary. (It was the only way I was able to handle last night's wraithlord, for example!)

Again, there's nothing wrong with purchasing the models GW lists. But I wouldn't make that exact list my first one.

[Dang, ninja'd by Number!]

That is not a bad start at all, though the point values on the second PAGK squad the give is wrong. I would recommend buying everything in blisters, not in boxes. The boxed sets come with incinerators, which while good, aren't the most popular weapon (and aren't what you would use in your list). Also, you probably want three units of PAGK, for scoring purposes. And number6 is right about the special weapons. Unless you plan on leaving a unit behind to guard objectives, psycannons aren't a great choice.

Other then that, welcome to the Inquisition!

Archived