Deep Strike Atop Building?

Celestin

"They may not deep strike directly inside a transport of building, which will count as impassable terrain as normal."

The rules on Deep Striking seem to leave quite in doubt whether or not I can deep strike onto a landing pad atop a building. Indeed, they seem to imply that I cannot do so at all. Anyone else have an opinion on whether the tops of buildings would still be a legitimate target, if non-ruined buildings are de-facto considered impassable for deep striking?

It depends entirely on how you and your opponent have designated the terrain.

1. Impassable building- Landing on top causes deep strike mishap

2. Moving over roof causes difficult terrain tests(ruined, rubble spread over it etc.)- all models landing on it take a dangerous terrain test.

3. Fully accessible by all units through ladders/low enough to climb on etc.- you land on it as if it where normal terrain. Note that if a building designated like this is occupied by an enemy unit it counts as impassable, see 1.

One of the most important things I find in games is at the start to be crystal clear with your opponent on how each piece of terrain works. I have often noticed certain people have radically different interpretations of how terrain works from how I imagine it and just going over this with your opponent makes for a much smoother game.

I don't particularly care about buildings with ruined roofs, I hate taking dangerous terrain tests enough already. I'm mostly interested in structures like the Research Station on 238-239, for example. Why should troops inside the building prevent you from landing on top of the building? You can deep strike pretty close to enemy troops as long as buildings aren't involved...

If you are treating the building as having an armor value (and thus fire points at windows, and the chance of being destroyed) then it will also act like an immobile transport for the purposes of gameplay (only 1 unit at a time may occupy said building/transport) thus since you could not deep strike into a transport, you could not deep strike onto or into the building.

But every building at my local store is modeled as a ruin, so we play them as normal terrain, not transport-buildings

If you are treating the building as having an armor value (and thus fire points at windows, and the chance of being destroyed) then it will also act like an immobile transport for the purposes of gameplay (only 1 unit at a time may occupy said building/transport) thus since you could not deep strike into a transport, you could not deep strike onto or into the building.

But every building at my local store is modeled as a ruin, so we play them as normal terrain, not transport-buildings

If the building is empty you can deep strike onto it. The rule just say you can't land inside it.

Archived