Librarian pose... Advice needed!

Thunderclap

Hey all, first post here on B&C. I've just started 40k since I stopped at age 9... So, I've decided on a DIY chapter, and got myself an army list, but I've got some problems with my converted Epistolary; what to do with his right arm? So, advice would be greatly appreciated. He's blu-tacked together in the pics, and he's half-painted. Plus, this is my first conversion, and the first mini I've painted for 7 years. :P

The origional plan was to have him pointing his arm straight out, fingers splayed, with lightning shooting from his arm. However, this left him looking a bit weird, so I've scrapped that plan, and I'm now looking for some new ideas. When I get round to it, he's going to have long hair, caught in the wind (along with his cloak and assorted extras (to be added later)).

Edit: seem to have completely failed to embedd the pictures from photobucket. *adds links*

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/Lit...nt=DSC00905.jpg

Second Edit: Thanks to Nurglepuss for embedding the picture for me :lol:

There's always the book from the DA vets sprue... (I bought a tactical squad, BT chapter conversion kit, and dark angels veterans sprue when I started)

See, I thought maybe have his arm sort of wheeling round, like he's spinning to face a new enemy, and have a flame swirling round with him, in his hand.

edit: use the boltgun-holding arm from a regular marine, replace the hand with an open hand, and green stuff flames onto that.

I'd go for either a pointing hand or a gun hand, the pointing being the favourite.

'Oi! You! Yes, you. I'm going to kill you next, just so's you can pray in your last seconds.'

I laughed properly at that :(

I'll dig out a pointing hand from my bitz box... I know theres one there somewhere.

The flat, palm out hand from the Missile Launcher guy works quite well on Librarians I think, though I'm not sure if that would be on the right side for your Librarian. There's also the pointing arm from the Command Squad, but again that is a left arm and so would mean you'd have to remove his sword arm.

Overall I think its a cool pose, perfect for a Librarian, he just needs to be directing his powers in some way, for me at least.

I can change the thumb position on the missile launcher hand, its no problem. But my main problem lies with his power-channelling, I'm not content with the lightning painted on his sword, or the glow from his eyes, when I do it, and I'm also modelling the base to be cracking in an "the earth splits beneath my tread" sort of way, I think maybe the missile launcher hand + blue flames? (so it doesnt clash too much with the lightning or the glowing eyes)

Or I could use twisted wire to have lightning shooting from the pointing hand from the old devastators sergeant hand (right arm, pointing), which would compliment the sword and eyes.

You could use do something similar to what Bryan Barnes did for his Ultramarines Chief Librarian Tigurius, seen here.

If you do something non-specific that denotes the use of a psychic power you then don't have to worry about him looking like he's using a particular power.

That's where I got my inspiration :)

Only... he looks odd having both arms splayed out. Only I love the forceweapon :(

I found the right-side pointing arm though, and I think it might work; I'll add some extras to his torso, like a loin cloth or something, to add some extra detail.

Edit: found some milliput (got no green stuff), so I'll try out having a balled up fist with flames coming from it (using the grenade hand from the tactical squad), and post some pictures of him with it blutacked to him.

Second Edit: Scrap that idea... its out of date; I'd be better off trying to sculpt flames out of gravel.

Archived