Complete Mephiston from WIP forum

I am Legion

I remember what everyone has told me in the WIP section, and I didn't paint the wings on the cape because I forgot and glued/green stuffed the sword arm and I'm not taking it out now. Anyway, I hope you guys like it. I'm not that happy with the way it came out.

gallery_32371_1885_22691.jpg

gallery_32371_1885_19253.jpg

gallery_32371_1885_48051.jpg

gallery_32371_1885_58529.jpg

Come to think of it, I'm not that happy with the sword either.....

I like it, I bet once you base it, you'll like it a little more too. I like the contasts between the dark reds, and ice white blues. I have one single idea, that may change that model for you. Paint the inside of the cloak a matt dark blue. this will unify the scheme more and also provide a barrier/backdrop for the lovely dark crimson robes. Hope that helps (its just an idea, no worries if you think it's unneccessarry [stupid word]).

Keep the faith!

I dont know why you saying it aint good mate.

He looks really good to me and once you base it will be lots better.

It looks better than the standard ones you get I always like a bit of difference lol and the colour pattern is better than the one GW made for him.

The subtle conversion really make the difference between that at the original model. the crimson robes look really good. I think some of the WIP pictures made him look a little tanned but the skin colour is good. If it was too pale the face would be lost against the hair.

Really nice and when based you should be a lot happier with it. (I hope)

I like it, well done. Its not an easy one to paint to be honest.

One thing that might be worth looking at doing, is to tone down the red a little.

Maybe the pads and the elbow, then do a subtle high light.

Do a base and that’s it, seriously that’s a nice mini you have painted.

Keep up the good work.

Ollie

I'm not that happy with the way it came out.

I think I understand where you're coming from with this.

Sometimes I'll feel like I've screwed up the last highlights or some part I'm working on when a model is close to finished or maybe just feel uninspired while painting. I'll be furious at my work but it might still be the best model I've ever done. At least something I'd have been super happy to have accomplished a few weeks before.

When your skill allows more detail, smaller mess-ups will disappoint you (that you might not even have noticed before). It's all part of driving yourself to improve.

I don't know how your models usually look but this is a well detailed, nicely highlighted model. I like the hems on the cape and the white color on the skulls. The lighter red armor color is good and the darker red on the cape too. Maybe the dark red on the gloves and on the huge collar are a bit flat. The face is very good, at least from the distance shown and the blue/red contrasts are a good choice of color. The dark parts of the chest look maybe a bit unfinished, but that's only because I'm really looking. Boots are good!

I'm not sure what effect you're going for with the sword. It looks pretty good, actually. Just like you've not thought it all the way through.

For possible solutions, I'd reccomend a brighter edge highlight for the dark red areas and to put a little thought into what effect you're trying to achieve on the sword.

It really is a nice miniature to look at and a good paint job. I just went into nitpicking mode because you seemed unsure about whether it needed fixing or not.

I think this is a great conversion and a really good paintjob, I'm not sure why you're so critical of it. I think once you've got it based you'll feel better about it, it will certainly get a lot of attention when you use it. Maybe after taking it to the table a few times you'll feel a bit more proud of what you've acheived.

Thanks, I appreciate everyones comments. Solun Decius pretty much caught me right on here, by the end I was uninspired and just wanted to rush to finish. It's a cool model and one of my favourites. Small mistakes drive me crazy, expecially once I've sealed the model (or when my friend drops the model and a bunch of points chip).

As for the sword, I didn't think it all the way through, I was going to make it silver originally just to tie it in with the rest of the army, but seeing as this isn't a regular marine I wanted to do a bit more for it, but it came out weird looking. My friend says he likes it, and we usually critique eachothers work pretty harshly so that we do improve (it's a really good method for improvement, really folks, try it out).

The chest part is only supposed to have a bit of the dark red as a highlight. I wanted the armour to be black.

The pose comes from the second edition Angels of Death Codex. I know the arms are on the opposite side but that's because I didn't want to ruin the skull shoulder pad. The cape flares out more as well.

gallery_32371_1885_10103.jpg

Archived