Q - Assualting

imagine28

My friend and I were playing a game today, and we are both quite new to 40K. We were cruising the rulebook the whole time, and I found some things quite unclear.

I charged a unit using my Space Marine Commander. He is equipped with a plasma pistol and a power fist. Here is my understanding of how many attacks he has:

3 base attacks ..........\ ___ These 5 total attacks strike at the Commander's initiative (4)

+1 for charging ........./

+1 for two weapons /

+1 for power fist --- Strikes at iniative 1

Total of 6 attacks.

Is this the correct way of doing it? I was watching a battle report and there was evidence to the contrary.

Thanks in advance.

if the Commander has 3 base attacks you add +1 for attacking. if he had a power sword you could get +1 for two one hand weapons, but the power fist doesn't give you the bonus. All of your attacks will be at Int 1 .

so 4 attacks on the charge at int1

You have also added the bonus (which, as has been stated, you don't get) for having two weapons twice; once labelled 'two weapons' and once labelled 'power fist'. If you have a special weapon, all attacks are performed with it. The extra attack for two weapons can be gained with a special weapon (unless it's a power fist, thunder hammer, or lightning claw), but apart from that, a special weapon does not (barring a specific special rule) grant an extra attack.

Sorry for all the parantheses...

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have one more quick question:

We also got into an awkward assualt where I was attacking around a wall (I still had unit coherency), but some of my units were hitting the right side of his squad and the others were hitting the left side. After I went at Initiative 4, he chose to kill off all his ones on the right side of the squad, so technically my power fist unit was no longer in the close combat. When it was his turn to strike, does he still get to or no?

After I went at Initiative 4, he chose to kill off all his ones on the right side of the squad, so technically my power fist unit was no longer in the close combat. When it was his turn to strike, does he still get to or no?

As some further information to add to JamesI's answer: you may run into people claiming he may not hit back. This, however, is a third- and fourth-edition rule that was changed in fifth edition. In the current edition, if the model was eligible to attack at the start of the close combat (before any attacks are actually made and resolved), he gets to try and hit someone — provided he's still alive, anyway.

Yeah, someone tried that on me a few weeks ago, not knowing that 5th Edition had fixed that little issue. He was hoping to keep an extra 15 or so attacks from utterly decimating his squad. But if you were in combat at the start, you stay in combat to the end.

this is, of course, only the case for units, their uprgade characters, or ICs with retinues. ICs attached to units that are not a retinue fight differently than a regular unit, and COULD be seperated from B2B, though it might take some canny casualty removal.

this is, of course, only the case for units, their uprgade characters, or ICs with retinues. ICs attached to units that are not a retinue fight differently than a regular unit, and COULD be seperated from B2B, though it might take some canny casualty removal.

Are you sure? The IC does count as a seperate unit and only counts as engaged if in base to base contact but the rules don't mention them being an exception to the rule about you check who you can hit at the begining of combat.

Are you sure? The IC does count as a seperate unit and only counts as engaged if in base to base contact but the rules don't mention them being an exception to the rule about you check who you can hit at the begining of combat.

I have gone back and reread the relevant sections:

the IC must be in base contact to fight as he is a separate unit. normal assault rules say that models who WERE engaged at the start of the round still are, so long as there are models from the unit(s) with which they were able to allocate attacks to. so the removal of the IC could have the effect of removing models from the opponent's list of engaged models, but the IC that is still "alive" would still have the opportunity to wound the enemy UNIT that he was engaged with, so long as a single enemy model lives (no matter where, spatially, in relation to the IC)

I stand corrected. thanks!

Archived