Black Reach Marine

kinggiraffe

Hey all,

Just got back into the hobby with the new Black Reach box set, and this is a test fig I painted up in the last half hour. After a six year break, I think it came out alright.

Any comments/suggestions/critique is welcome. I know there isn't any shadows/highlights, I was using the silly little Black Reach paint set, picking up inks and washes this week. Also, don't think I'm going to be doing another typical Ultra army, I plan on building up my own chapter. The design is also in an image below!

Cheers,

Giraffe

http://i33.tinypic.com/2wg66p5.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2wfo2zk.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/29fov2t.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/23j4xhy.jpg

And my chapter colours:

http://i33.tinypic.com/5a3mzk.jpg

One thing i will add from my own experience is don't choose your army based on what you think others will be playing. Base it on what you like the most, if you like the Ultramarine paint scheme and fluff then paint them that way, and besides i rarely see Ultramarine army's (you get beginners who paint a squad or 2 but rarely a while army). Mind you it might just be my area :D .

Some advise on the test mini would be like the other have stated try watering your paint down a bit. I do this by just slightly dropping the tip of my brush in my cleaning water with a bit of paint on it. Anything what i found really helped me especially with GW paints is to have a tissue beside you and gently wipe your tip of the brush over it to get rid of some of the paint so it goes on smoother. Lastly i would spend a bit of time cleaning your minis first, by that i mean the mold lines, as i little time spent getting rid of them makes a huge difference on the finished product.

Other then that its a nice mini especially since you said it was about a 30min job.

the white of your DIY may be a pain to paint. I know of many people, myself included who have had difficult time putting on white without it caking up and looking pretty awful. perhaps if you like to have a light scheme try bone white? or a mix of bone white or skull white with graveyard earth?

Looks good,you may want to try watering down your paints a bit more. Also, especially the gold trim on the shoulder pads need another coat or two because you can still see the blue underneath, otherwise itlooks good for a first attepmt in six years :)

Yeah I might go over it later, I wasn't too concerned. Also, the gold paint was pretty water-y as it came, even after stirring/shaking.

nice model

but your colour scheme reminds me too much of the White Scars

but that might just be me

Athiair :)

Thats the plan :P I've liked the white scar scheme for a while now, but I'm not so much a big fan of everyone being mounted, thus a compromise!

One thing i will add from my own experience is don't choose your army based on what you think others will be playing. Base it on what you like the most, if you like the Ultramarine paint scheme and fluff then paint them that way, and besides i rarely see Ultramarine army's (you get beginners who paint a squad or 2 but rarely a while army). Mind you it might just be my area :wink: .

Some advise on the test mini would be like the other have stated try watering your paint down a bit. I do this by just slightly dropping the tip of my brush in my cleaning water with a bit of paint on it. Anything what i found really helped me especially with GW paints is to have a tissue beside you and gently wipe your tip of the brush over it to get rid of some of the paint so it goes on smoother. Lastly i would spend a bit of time cleaning your minis first, by that i mean the mold lines, as i little time spent getting rid of them makes a huge difference on the finished product.

Other then that its a nice mini especially since you said it was about a 30min job.

Hah ever man and his dog has an army of Ultramarines laying around somewhere. I went that route the first time, so I'm trying something different now. And I know, I probably should have cleaned him up a little better, but I was keen to get painting! I walked into the store on Friday to purchase the set, and they made me come back on Saturday :(

the white of your DIY may be a pain to paint. I know of many people, myself included who have had difficult time putting on white without it caking up and looking pretty awful. perhaps if you like to have a light scheme try bone white? or a mix of bone white or skull white with graveyard earth?

I guess its not as visible as I wanted then. It was supposed to be a bone white-ish tone anyway, since iirc GW makes a nice wash/ink combo for easy painting. Cheers for the advice!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it, and will post up some WIP pics of the main force when I get a chance.

Hey Giraffe, I expect to see nice DIY fluff of your chapter :P

any names or fluff ideas yet? With White Scars gene-seed, their are so many open fluff ideas, its astronomical LOL. GOOD CHOICE!

BTW, I believe GW has made new White Scars bits, and I don't think all the pieces are of mounted astartes, although I could be wrong.

Hey Giraffe, I expect to see nice DIY fluff of your chapter :mellow:

any names or fluff ideas yet? With White Scars gene-seed, their are so many open fluff ideas, its astronomical LOL. GOOD CHOICE!

BTW, I believe GW has made new White Scars bits, and I don't think all the pieces are of mounted astartes, although I could be wrong.

Haha I've got nothin fluff-wise yet, but I just made a thread in the DIY section with my preliminary army list, and I'll be updating with fluff/pictures/battle reports/whatever else in that thread.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Archived