first 40k marine - wip

erik j

Hi Guys

Well I've finally come over to the other side from Fantasy (I've been thinking about this for a while). One of the reasons was the amazing bargain that the Assault on Black Reach box seems to be. The other reason is of course 40K radio - I love the show and Ive managed to learn quite a bit before even reading the rulebook

I managed to get my AOBR box at the start of this week and have been working on my first figure - It still needs a bit of finishing off but Im quite happy with it so far so I thought I'd let you guys see.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l220/ejl007/ultramarines/ultramarine001.jpg

I'm gonna use this as a project log to try to finish my army - I'm hoping to build it in stages - 500, 1000 then 1500 points - How far it will get I do not know

Unfortunately my painting will be taking a break for a while as I'm off for my first trip to the USA at the end of next week. NYC and San Francisco so if anyone can recommend good gaming shops I'd love to hear from you

Well I didnt think I would have time to do anything before I went off to the USA on Saturday but it seems I've managed to squeeze a bit of time in for painting - This marine is very very wip but I thought I'd post the pic anyway as I wont be around here for a couple of weeks

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l220/ejl007/ultramarines/ultramarines03.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments about my first mini - I've really enjoyed painting it - I'm beginning to think that the 40k miniatures look a lot more 'iconic' than their fantasy counterparts.

Well! If these marines are your first, the following ones should be great, 'cause these are very good already!

You seem to have worked out the highlighting problem on the sarge's knee in a very good way, and though the other one seems to lack a bit of highlighting, the paintjob is very neat and clean!

I'd like to play against armies like that more often :)

Hi

Thanks for the kind words Tiriel - The second figure is really just a quick workup - I still have a lot more highlighting to do and I suppose I feel its just a bit rushed but as I won't be able to paint for a couple of weeks I was desperate to just "slap some paint on" yesterday.

DarkPrincess - Its hard to quantify how long it took me to get the first figure up to that stage - I only paint for around 30 minutes at a time before taking a break and sometimes that break is 10 minutes and sometimes an hour. I did the whole figure in a day so I suppose you could say around 4-5 hours painting. On a side note whilst painting this figure I have been watching a US show called "The unit" I can highly recommend it to anyone that hasnt seen it - especially sm players as it has the whole military special forces thing going on - I also enjoy watching black hawk down whilst painting.

Archived