Thinking About Renegades...

ant7

Well I purchased the codex and I am eagerly awaiting it to arrive in the mail. While I am waiting I have read through all of the great information supplied by this site including more than a few posts. I still have a couple of questions though.

With this army I am more concerned about fluff than anything although I don't want to put the effort into an army that is going to lose every game (I hope you can understand that). Anyway here they are;

1. I want this army to be recently turned, but I want to use the CSM codex and I will probably mix both the SM and CSM ranges to reflect this. I also don't want to add too many mutations or demons, again to show they're recent conversion. So what units should I not include in this type of army?

2. From what I have read CSM excel at mid to close range fights. I don't mind having berserkers but I really don't like the look of the khorne berserker models, can I just use CSM with appropriate weapons and possibly some running legs and paint the armor any color I choose?

3. Will a CSM army without demons or mutations work?

4. Do or should a renegade army like this be chaos undivided or no marks at all?

I know I can probably find most of this stuff out when I get the codex but I wanted to start writing the fluff and I could use some help.

Thanks in advance.

1. I want this army to be recently turned, but I want to use the CSM codex and I will probably mix both the SM and CSM ranges to reflect this. I also don't want to add too many mutations or demons, again to show they're recent conversion. So what units should I not include in this type of army?

I wouldn't include Daemon Princes, Possessed, Cult Marines or Obliterators (unless your Chapter has alliances with them, and save Berzerkers as per below), or Defilers.

2. From what I have read CSM excel at mid to close range fights. I don't mind having berserkers but I really don't like the look of the khorne berserker models, can I just use CSM with appropriate weapons and possibly some running legs and paint the armor any color I choose?

Yes.

3. Will a CSM army without demons or mutations work?

Yep. You've got plenty of other units to choose from.

4. Do or should a renegade army like this be chaos undivided or no marks at all?

Whichever you want.

You can do this, but I'm really not too sure why you would want to. I mean demons and their like are what makes chaos well, chaos. That said, I guess you could try a rhino rush army using berzerkers and CSM's and see how that works.

I actually use a similar setup to that but I also use a winged demon prince (may switch to a winged lord with demon wep) to back up my troops in HtH as well as obliterators for their excellent anti tank and anti infantry guns, but a recently turned chapter would probably not have access to such specialized and demonic units though you could probably excuse a demon weapon, in fact it could tie in as being the influence that turned your chapter as the chapter master took it as trophy and it slowly corrupted him.

Archived