Can Drop Pods Contest?

SaintRephaim

hey, last night me and my buddy were playing a game and he was telling me that my drop pods could contest, after reading the rules i couldn't find a reason why they wouldn't be able to

they are considered a dedicated transport that is imobilized and they have an armour value so they should be a unit no?

i'm asking cuz i have a hall of heroes comming up soon and would love to drop my 3 pods in strategic positions

First, Immobile is not Immobilized.

Second, yes, they can contest an objective just like every other vehicle & unit in the game. In fact, they are great for contesting an objective for that exact reason.

Second, yes, they can contest an objective just like every other vehicle & unit in the game. In fact, they are great for contesting an objective for that exact reason.

Actually, in the new codex immobile = immobilized. There is a long section that states this on the drpo pod page. So they can't contest and if they suffer another immobilized hit then bad things start to happen.

Actually, in the new codex immobile = immobilized. There is a long section that states this on the drpo pod page. So they can't contest and if they suffer another immobilized hit then bad things start to happen.

Immoblized has nothing to do with contesting an objective anymore... it has to be dead go blown up shot up boom boom :) hehehe this has helped so much on kill point missions were someone forgets they have to compleatly destroy those rhinos.

Immoblized has nothing to do with contesting an objective anymore... it has to be dead go blown up shot up boom boom :confused: hehehe this has helped so much on kill point missions were someone forgets they have to compleatly destroy those rhinos.

Fair enough, I forgot about that part of it. I don't recall if the drop pod rules stated anything about contesting objectives. They might afterall. Nonetheless since they count as immobile they are pretty easy to destroy.

I think some people are getting 4th and 5th mixed up here.

in 4th any non-dedicated transport(that was not a land raider) unit was able to take an objective so long as it's unit strength was at/above half or it was not immobilised if it was a vehicle.

5th is a whole new animal. there is no more unit strength or mobility based objective grabbing. only units chosen from the troops section of the FOC that are not swarms or vehicles can take objectives(even if there is only one guy left in the unit). every other model in the game taken from the other FOC selections can contest an objective to keep your enemy's troops from taking it. so yes pods can contest an objective so long as they land within 3" of it.

I would like to point out that (even after reading the drop-pod page in the new dex) that immobile is not the same as Immobilized (Drop say says "Counts in all respects as a vehicle that has suffered an Immobilized result"). The effect is still the same, just how it got there is a different story. For example, a Necron Pylon is an Immobile unit. It does not deepstrike as an Immobilized unit. Or if you would like a different example, a stationary gun battery in real life is an immobile battery. This is not the same as an Immobilized tank on the battlefield.

It is semantics. Game effect is the same.

Oh, and how is 3 & 1/2 lines a "long" section?

Archived