[ARTWORK] Space Marine

Hubernator

I did a drawing a an art homework I had to do (return of Art: A level style). Here it is:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/Hubernator/RIMG0014.jpg

Personally I think I can do better. So any advice on how to improve next time (or for this one, before I attack it with a pencil :)) would be greatly appreciated :P

heres a load of things to pick out. arms and legs should be a bit thicker.remember that space marines are bigger and buffer than your normal human. on top of that, power armor is nice and thick. the "cup" should be a bit more widened when it meets belt line (like a mix between a "V" and an "U"). the torso armor should be more curved outwards.

the secret to producing great pictures is learning what things actually look like. not wat you think they look like. look at a whole buncha pictuers of spacemarines and study them. the curves, bends, proportions, etc.

you seems to be on the right lines. keep up the good work and draw more. you will improve.

btw. wat grd are you? lookin @ this picture makes me think back when i got little assignments like these.

Cheers for the advice guys. I might just photocopy this one again, use the photocopy for my art hw and edit the original. I did study from a pic off of the SMP, was a bit hard tog et the angles right. I'll get the drawing tweaked tonight, after I do maths :D

@Arch«•»Angel: Just started yr12. Haven't had a target grade thrown at me yet :D

You've got an eye for small detail and I can tell you want to capture dimension and perspective. Its a good start.

I'd recommend going to an art store and buying one of those pose-able wooden dolls. They're built with "ideal" proportions so you can get a feel for how big one body part is in relation to the other.

A major barrier when learning to draw (at least in the realist style) is learning to draw what you see, not what you think you see. Its a constant struggle, and I've found its especially hard when drawing people as opposed to objects or environment. The key there is capturing SHAPE, not the small detail you know thats there. The good news for guys like you and me though, is being wired for small detail really pays off once we get that "what I SEE" down.

One thing I hear is really good as an exercise is to pick a subject from a photograph, then flip the photo upside down and draw the upside down image.

Cheers for the comment ;) I have coloured him in by the way. I had to get him done ASAP so editing would've hampered that :D I fancy drawing another now. I might just do that...

Anyway, I'll get a pic of him in the colours I chose :P

It's just the proportions you need to work on. Marines may be butch, but they aren't gorillas (their hands aren't by their knees). If i cover the limbs with my hand, the torso and head seem prety much spot on, needs shorter fore arms and shins but longer thighs. Keep at it bud, practice away and you shall improve!

Al

Wise words. Thanks ^_^ I have noted this down guys. my proportioning isn't good (neither is my drawing but hey) so it might take a few goes to get right. However, practise makes perfect. So if I get some free time I'll have a crack at drawing another :D

C&C still welcome on this doodle so I can see where else I can improve :)

Archived