Death Eagle Chapter Master - Update

Blindhammer

Chapter Master for my WIP Death Eagles army.

I'm pleased with how the hammer suits his pose, I wasn't too keen on the bolter being cradled, wasn't dynamic enough.

gallery_26526_2601_642037.jpg

Of course, I took the photo and then had to go back cleaning off all the mould lines I missed and he needs a bit of greenstuff on the power cables for the hammer.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the head like that either, I'm thinking of grinding it out and putting the bald plastic termie head on.

I quite like the conversion, though I think the hammer might look better the other way, ie. switch the hands and have the hammer head in the right hand.

It looks fine otherwise though, in fact I may have to do the same conversion :rolleyes:.

Khrangar

Thanks for the comments.

The bolter is actually pretty easy to remove with minimal damage to the torso. Being a two-piece model actually aids in doing this, I made incisions around the rear of the bolter and then just snapped it off in a way that wouldn't be possible with a single piece model. The affected area is easily cleaned with a knife.

I also agree with Khrangar and J3llyf1sh to reverse the hamme position, it would look much more dynamic with the body pose. Great conversion, and yes it is annoying when people don't read. I swear this forum needs th option to 'comment on the original post' or 'comment on subsequent posts'.

I thought he meant he took a picture, realized the mold lines, attempted to clean them up (i.e. the hammer shaft has been cleaned up), and then took a second photo.

I honestly don't like the cradled position, He definitely needs to be more dynamic with the hammer, especially with him shouting and all, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I have no idea how I actually missed that he'd written that in his OP - I basically never just skip over things like that, I actually can't remember the last time I've done something like this, especially given how little text there was to read. Could be that I read it but was distracted and didn't absorb it properly at the time. Regardless, apologies to Blindhammer - glad you realised and have since fixed the mould lines :P I actually agree with the idea of switching the hammer around too, would add to the pose and just makes more sense to me, considering how he's standing.

The primer came out a bit fuzzy. What kind of conditions are you spraying in?

It was a pretty hot day, about 95 degrees, probably should have waited.

I use Krylon primer and it's usually excellent, they now have a new nozzle too.

Regarding the direction of the hammer, I did originally plan to have it the opposite way around but I don't think that his foot position is suitable for that. His weight is shifted over his back foot. In my mind he is in a defensive pose, and what is maybe not clear from the photo is the hammer is angled down and back. To me he is parrying an attack with the haft before bringing the hammer through with an upward swing and stepping into an attack.

I photoshopped this guy with the hammer in the opposite position and to me it didn't look right with his stance. I appreciate the comments though.

My next dilemma is the colour of the cloak and tabard. The armour is quartered white and pinkish purple with golden yellow trim. I would normally do a white cloak but I want the armour to stand out too, there is so much bling on this guy the armour almost gets left behind.

Nice to see a fellow Death Eagle :ph34r:

As for your "dilemma" I would suggest that the cloak is a dark brown-red or just one of either.

The tabard would look nice black IMO.

This is purely from my own experience of colour matching and training my minds eye for good matching colours.

TiJ

wheree hammer from because i want to give it to my terminater captain

It's just a thunder hammer from the close combat terminator set with the middle section extended using a bit of teleport homer from the Macragge set.

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

This guy is progressing nicely, I'm still not sure what colour to do the robe though. Any suggestions?

I wanted the lightning on the hammer to look like that in the DoW 2 teaser vid with lightning arcing down the haft. I like how the haft looks but the effect on the hammer head doesn't look right and I think I'll redo it.

gallery_26526_2601_46546.jpg

nice paint job, i'd recommend geting some of the new washes for the tabbard, its come out very nice, but I personally find that chestnut ink can be a pain to work on with tabbards.

Archived