Finally it's here: The OCT;P1+P2.1

TheDarkApostle

Cut-and-Paste from my blog;

+++++

OCT;P1 standing for: Obliterator Converting Tutorial; Part 1.

So, first of all, what will be needed for this?

Well, a pair of Obliterator legs (with stuck on back part) and a pair of Obliterator arms would always be a nice start.

gallery_17075_2611_831180.jpg

gallery_17075_2611_864049.jpg

As well as some tools: (Jewelers saw, a pair of clippers and some pincher like thing to hold the parts with, and yeah that's some tape on it, it's to prevent damage on the parts when applying to much pressure by mistake.)

gallery_17075_1571_168483.jpg

Now what? Well, since the purpose of this tutorial will be to make the Obliterator to stand more upright instead of squatting a good place to start would be the legs.

So, first of all we'll separate the left leg at the knee joint, somewhat like this:

gallery_17075_2611_1164871.jpg

Next to the other leg:

gallery_17075_2611_1169.jpg

Next the tights:

gallery_17075_2611_1469455.jpg

gallery_17075_2611_1429074.jpg

And finally the right foot (the left foot will be good as it is this time about, no point if cutting it and risking breaking it when it's still going to have the same position):

gallery_17075_2611_263243.jpg

Next I've cut the arms as well to change around their positions a bit, (possibly I'll change the shoulder pads around as well since I've already got an Obliterator with the exactly same arms and thus the same positioning of the shoulder pads.)

gallery_17075_2611_1601496.jpg

And this will conclude Part 1 of the Obliterator Converting Tutorial. Next part will be about the pinning of all bits so we'll be able to have him stand upright (hopefully :D )

~ TheDarkApostle

+++++

Well, can't remember seeing any tuts or anything like that around for the good 'ol Metal Obliterators and since I got a very good response on the first one I made I decided to make a tut out of it while building my second one. (Well, SCC and the rest of the Librarium staff have been nagging a bit on my to submit something to the Librarium as well but that's besides the point ;) )

I'll update with the next part when I get around to it :P

TDA

Edited by TheDarkApostle

(Copy-pasta from my blog)

-----

Got some work done on the tut.

// Because of the large number of images I was forced to split this part into two entries. >_< //

+++++

Obliterator Converting Tutorial; Part 2.1.

First part was about the separation of the bits we'll need for the conversion. Now, it's time to pin em together.

(Now lo and behold, the pinning part of the tutorial got a grand total of 23 (currently 24 tho) pictures!)

First of all, the tools needed and the parts:

The tools; Super glue, clippers, metal wire for the pins, drill, and finally some files.

gallery_17075_2611_195360.jpg

The Obliterator parts:

gallery_17075_2611_808432.jpg

And finally an extra: Some Space Marine Assault Terminator Lightning Claw (SMATLC) arms;

gallery_17075_2611_157955.jpg

Now the part with the Lightning Claws didn't hit me until towards the end of this part when I was about to pin the arms, I'll explain later how they'll fit in.

Now tho, as an extension of the Part 1 of the Tutorial:

Take a pair of SMATLC arms (does not have to be matching, tho I used a matching pair) and cut them like shown;

gallery_17075_2611_146551.jpg

The only part we'll need is the part where the biceps would be located on our arms (the part that is lying a little bit away from the rest).

As I said earlier, I'll get back later to how this will fit in with the Obliterator conversion.

Now back to the pinning stuff!

Take one of the Obliterator legs, (I took the left with the still intact foot), and drill a hole into the top of it;

gallery_17075_2611_262663.jpg

And attach a pin into it with some super glue;

gallery_17075_2611_52784.jpg

Next take the tight and drill a hole into the bottom side of it, try to keep it somewhat in the center. Next put in on the other end of the pin we just stuck into the leg;

gallery_17075_2611_352304.jpg

Well, didn't really match so good. No fret tho! Just take of the tight part and shorten the pin a little with your clippers and try again until it fits good, and remember, it's always easier to shorten the pins then to try to lengthen them;

gallery_17075_2611_227094.jpg

Next, take up the right leg parts, and do the same thing as you just did with the left leg. Myself I started with the foot;

gallery_17075_2611_1446.jpg

And then worked my way up through the whole leg;

gallery_17075_2611_374071.jpg

Then drill a hole into each of the top sides of the tights and attach a pin;

gallery_17075_2611_386657.jpg

After that proceed with drilling holes into the sides of the codpiece of the codpiece/back part. Next attach the pins from the top of the tights to the holes on the codpiece. You most likely will have to shorten the pins a bit and bend them around and poke about a bit and you should end up with something like this;

gallery_17075_2611_253938.jpg

Already looking better than that squat-like hunchback look he had before don't you agree?

End of Obliterator Converting Tutorial; Part 2.1.

~ TheDarkApostle

+++++

(Copy-pasta from my blog)

-----

// Because of the large number of images I was forced to split this part into two entries. >_< //

+++++

Obliterator Converting Tutorial; Part 2.2.

Now back to those Lightning Claws I was talking about...

Take the pieces we stole from the SMATLCs and drill them through;

gallery_17075_2611_311036.jpg

Then drag the drill out a bit and put the LC arm bit down on the Obliterator arm (which we separated from the Shoulder Pad, remember?);

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...2611_307543.jpg

Lo and behold, they actually match up somewhat! Perfect! Now to the next part. Now this is a technique which I mainly use when repositioning the feet of my normal Chaos Marines, first I drill through the entire foot where I'll have the pin (or in this case the LC arm bit), then I drag back the drill a little bit so it's just through the whole hole but without poking out at all;

gallery_17075_2611_291748.jpg

Link up the pieces good, and proceed to drill(!), simple right?

gallery_17075_2611_194043.jpg

Now beware that it might be hard to get this right on the first try, but no sweat, just take it easy and start over till you get it. (If you want you can always try on some extra bits or something which you don't need.) Next, I think you should start to be able to guess it now, put a pin into it;

gallery_17075_2611_88014.jpg

Next drill a hole into the shoulder pad you'll use (after all it turned out I switch places on mine to created some difference between my Obliterators), and add up the bits as they're supposed to be;

gallery_17075_2611_269131.jpg

// Because of the large number of images I was forced to split the post up tho. >_< //

+++++

Tadaah! You now have a new awesome Obliterator arm. *appluse*

Now rince and repeat;

gallery_17075_2611_91984.jpg

And you'll have yourself a pair(! Never would have guess that eh?) of new good looking Obliterator arms;

gallery_17075_2611_349346.jpg

Next we'll take the chest piece and cut off the fitting pieces for the arms;

gallery_17075_2611_376254.jpg

Then we'll drill a pair of holes there instead where we'll add pins. Now myself I also drilled a pair of holes into the backside of the chest piece where I stuck a pair of pins which I then used to mark out the place to drill holes into the "front" of the back piece;

gallery_17075_2611_231450.jpg

Now these pair of pins will help hold the back and chest piece together, something I noticed on my old Obliterator that super glue alone had some trouble managing;

gallery_17075_2611_315843.jpg

Anyway, now just stick the pieces together (I haven't glued the arms, legs or right foot yet in order to make it easier to: 1) do the repair/re-sculpt work with Green Stuff, and 2) make it easier to paint him.);

gallery_17075_2611_7651.jpg

There you have it! All that's left now is to take some Green Stuff and fill up any cavities between the parts, and re-sculpt the backside and soft armor ribbing of the legs, aswell as any other repair work needed like cables and stuff, and possibly some new "Obliterator-skin" here and there. And after that of course add all the weapons you want and the head, and after that paint the bad boy up.

Possibly I'll add further parts dealing with the Green Stuffing part as well as the painting part.

End of Obliterator Converting Tutorial; Part 2.2.

~ TheDarkApostle

+++++

Epic tutorial. One of the best I ever read. Lots of pictures, with great text to go along with it.

Can't wait to see the GSing (you are going to make a tut for that too, right?) and finally paintjob.