The Despoiler

Brother Ziggy

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2955/imgp1825ur6.th.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4950/imgp1826ki1.th.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5463/imgp1828pz7.th.jpg

I admit I'm not the greatest painter ever but I think I'm getting better, so, what do ya' think?

EDIT - Sorry, the first pic isn't so great :D

From what I can see the gold needs to be toned down, but the skin and the armor is painted very well!

Due to the pictures blurriness, I'll call this one an excellent rendition until further pictures! :P

NMM, but thats a bit advanced. I'm not sure to be honest! Usually what I do is brown undercoat, drybrush of gold, and then a wash of Sepia for nice, flatter gold. Theres nothing wrong with flashy metallics, but dulling it down in your case would match the rest of the model. Try one of the new brown washes, it should help.

Ok, havin time for a short answer, huh huh huh...

Simple way to work out a decent goldie could be.

- A thin but regular Shining Gold base

- Work out the parts that catch the light with Burnished Gold (the opposite of recesses, x-cuse my poor vocabulary). This is NOT highlight yet, just the primary try at a gold that "catches the light" and a gold that does not. (Can be drybrush to see where to work if you started your mini with the golds but you'll have to re-work with plain paint after DB because DB has a tendancy to weaken the rich part of the golden colour)

- Mix Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver to work out the highlights (remember to put as few as paint as possible on the brush, to use a thin one, like a 1, thinner is useless and most of all, not to paint with the tip but catche the angles to highlitgh with the side of the brush)

- Prepare a wash with 15/20 water, 1/20 TAMIYA ORANGE SMOKE (the most essential of all T-Smokes, a real Must !!!), 4/20 Flesh Wash (bribe your friends, steal it use any mean to grab some) very little pure chaos black and blue ink (insignificant quantities but quite essential for this wash).

- Heat up your mini with hair-dryer (to reduce time to dry after wash)

- Generously use the wash, then take of the excess of wash with the tip of a dry brush

- Wou can heap up moderately to haste the process but beware not blowing directly on the wash and keep an eye on drops of wash forming in the recesses.

There is nothing like "I don't have T Smoke !" Buy some 8) !!!

If you can't get GW inks, (What do they have in mind when taking those things from the range ?) try to see what you can do with some brownish new wash, it might help.

About the "why black and why blue"... To my experience, blue is the colour that gives the best sense of depth, even better than black. Its too one of the best counterpoints to orange... The black in the wash is there to "drown" in the recesses (its no wash or smoke, remember ?) and fix colours there (where the blue will add all its effect). About the blue in a gold work, just take little blue ink with water and little brown and put it around a single stud... Just try and see.

Ack, TIME !!!!

DS

PS : Beware with Smoke, its really extreemely toxic. Hmmm even more than that !!!

Other thing : Never, ever put water in a metalic paint, even to get a dying paint back.

Archived