casualties from destroyed transports and morale checks

Ramora

In 5th ed. it says something along the lines of when the unit inside a destoryed transport takes casualties from the destroyed or exploded result, treat them like casualties from shooting.. I don't have a rule book handy so thats off the top of my head.. its from the section about transports i think. anyways does that mean that if the unit took 25% casualties or more it would take not only a pinning check but a morale check at the end of the shooting phase.

I would have to go back and look at it again, but I think the only test made is pinning. if there is to be a moral check for shooting casualties, the pinning test would be rolled first, and if they are pinned, they don't fall back. it's in the BBB somewhere....

Actually, the go to ground rules (which pinning of course uses) say that a failed morale check overrides this and returns the troops to a non-pinned state.

For exact wording, it's on page 24.

Edit: Oh and page 44 only lists CC casualties as an exception to the 25% trigger for morale checks. Don't think the transports section says anything to suggest they would not take one either.

Actually, if you read the rulebook, it states that in ANY PHASE where you suffer 25% or more casualties, you take a moral test. So, if 2 plasma cannon gunners self-destruct in a 5 man dev squad, you're going to take a moral test. If you lose 3 assault marines when you land in difficult terrain, then you take a moral test.

As such, if you lose 3 guys out of a squad of 10 when their rhino blows up, you take a pinning test immediately, and a moral test at the end of the phase.

Archived