Manticore Legion WIP - Posting so I keep painting :-P

elijahdprophet

I have decided to get into 40k (the last rules I owned were 3rd edition and I never actually played, just build a modest IG force) as the venue where I live is much more active then where I moved from a year ago. With the Black Reach set getting released I figured this was a good time to get into some Space Marine goodness.

I am building a crusade army, just so I can paint a variety of color schemes, but the bulk of my army (the Troops selections at least) I want to be from a single chapter, that way I can get good at painting something specific since I will be doing it over and over again.

I have one squad 90% done so far, bases are still needed. I was going to call them Manticore Legion, although I don't know how fluffy using the term Legion for loyalists is at this point. If need be Chapterhouse Manticore has a nice, although Dunelike ring to it.

gallery_38261_2639_350965.jpg

gallery_38261_2639_312671.jpg

When I was playing around with a test model I primed black and drybrushed gray, to give myself a base idea, then I made a thin red washand went nuts with it. It game me a dusty reddish look, as if these guys had spent a lot of time somewhere like mars, and I really liked the way it came out so kept it. The left calf armor and hand are in purple, to break up the black a bit. I am trying to decide on a shoulder insignia, I wanted a rampant manticore, but I can't free hand that and haven't gotten to the point of making my own decals yet, so the left shoulder is blank for now.

I know they need a bit of cleaning up, and I need to do the bases, but any advice/criticism you all could give me would be great.

EDP

PS I know the mould lines are nasty, I didn't assemble this batch (picked them up from a buddy at the local shop) and was impatient about priming them and didn't look carefully enough. Oh well.

EDIT 9.25.08

Alright, got the squad touched up and based, also started painting my first ever Dreadnought.

gallery_38261_2639_892971.jpg

gallery_38261_2639_1225604.jpg

And the Dread. The bullet holes are my first attempt at painting on any kind of damage, back in the day I drilled holes in things to make them look shot up.

gallery_38261_2639_833934.jpg

EDIT 9.29.08

Here is Company Captain Avon, who was a member of one of the first Scout units in the chapter so is starting to finally show signs of aging after centuries of service. My hands aren't steady enough yet to paint lettering on the banners unfortunately.

gallery_38261_2639_1196982.jpg

gallery_38261_2639_709911.jpg

gallery_38261_2639_381324.jpg

I really like the Black Reach set because I don't feel like I am ruining higher end figures with my low end paint jobs.

I would love advice on either my painting or my photography, both of which require improvement.

Unless my eyes decieve me, the Cult of Orange have another minor convert here! Good so far, but I think the skin needs a little more work, and there may be a few too many colours on that armour, giving it a patchwork look on the sergeant.

It actually isn't orange, I am still working on my camera skills. Anything that loos orange is actually Vallejo Scarlett. I think that is adding to the patchwork look, the fact that the colors don't look quite right.

I really do need to work on my flesh painting, that or add helmets to everyone :-P

Here is another pic, slightly better color realism...

gallery_38261_2639_1062350.jpg

I like your colors... I think it is personal preference that's makes us all choose a different scheme anyways.

I really can't imagine anybody really fighting in colors that scream "See ME, I'm HERE!" so all the bright colored armies make me laugh, and yes, I too have a bright army, with lots of colors.

I don't think your face looks all that bad... maybe a drybrush of Elf flesh to lighten it up just a bit.

With all my comments, I really should start putting up some of my figures so people can comment on mine.

i like them. espacialy your technique seems to be some kind of special.

but there are 2 thinks that came to my mind, looking at your pics:

- have you thought about opening the multimelters barrels a little bit more? - bigger calibre, bigger bang! :)

- further i think the blue on the dreads right leg doesn't match with the violett pretty well. => i'd suggest painting the blue area in red as well.

keep it up !!!

Yeah, I thik I will open up the holes a little more, that size is the only bit I have for my pin vice, but widening it shouldn't be too hard.

The blue is actually there for fluff reasons, and only on this one model, but I agree that it doesn't fit the overall scheme.

Your miniatures are way to busy, you use way to many different color, try to keep a limited palette to prevent the Christmas tree look.

Do you mean I should use one of the main colors for the details, like grenades, pouches, etc..? Or do you mean that having the red/purple/black as the main colors of the armor is too much?

Howdy.

Purple is a notoriously difficult color to work with. A lot of times it looks just out of place with everything else.

Looking at the pictures of your figures it seems to me that there is too much purple for the red you have. A good contrast color for purple is yellow. Red is a complement and it just looks weird with red around it. Same thing with blue.

My opinion is to pick either the red or purple and then remove the other. If you prefer the purple, the paint over the red with yellow, which is not hard to do.

If you prefer the red, then a contrast for the red is green, but I don't think the green would look terribly good either.

Another option is the use a red trim, keeping the purple and black as the primary colors, then you could paint the red loincloth in a white or bone color and then put a neat red border near the edges to spice it up a bit. Then you could go back over the shoulder pads and paint them purple.

The whole army would start to look less stark and "fit" a little better together.

Anyhoo, it is your army, so you do what you like, I am just ofering a few simple ideas on who minor changes could yield an overall better result, visually. Right now, while painted well, there are too many colors competeing for the eye's attention and it makes it look " off ".

Looking forward to more updates! I am also posting so I keep painting, so I know the feeling about taking a break or just breaking out the "grey brigade", but keep going! Your off to a good start and not far from finishing!!

Archived